What's new

Is beer drinking on the decline?

I live in the small town of Fuquay-Varina NC and we have 3 local breweries (at last count ). I think that there are plenty of beer drinkers and more than enough microbreweries to go around

I completely agree with this assessment. I think there is a "Craft Beer Bubble" on the way. Some states like Michigan and Pennsylvania have over 50 breweries in their respective states. And other are there also, if not most states. The market is over saturated with these craft beers and there is no way a small brewery can survive unlkess they find their niche.
There probably is a bubble coming at some point, but 50 breweries in a state with the population of Pennsylvania or Michigan doesn't mark the threshold for it. In Oregon, home to a mere 4 million people, there are now 234 "brewing facilities". A good number of these are brew pubs that only sell product on premise, but there are many more that distribute, either keg product to bars and restaurants, or bottles and cans for retail package sale, or both. They all seem to be doing well, and new craft producers are still entering the market. In Oregon, virtually every eating and drinking establishment and every retail store, even the big chain supermarkets, offers a wide array of craft beers. The millennials in particular are beer drinkers, and they like, in fact demand, craft products.

I'm not sure what the actual numbers say as to whether overall beer consumption is up or down. At least here in Oregon, tastes certainly favor the higher quality craft beers, so folks are definitely drinking more good beer, if not necessarily more overall. The craft beer bubble may be coming, but it's not here yet.

The funny thing about the whole thing is that I don't think the Craft Beer market has really touched the market share of the big guys either. I have a brother who works for a local big beer distributor. They also distribute a very large selection of craft beers. Their profits have gone up over the past few years, but only marginally from craft beers. They still make the bulk of their profits from the regular old stuff and the regular old stuff light. The craft beer bubble will come it just depends on how long. If the economy gets better and people have more disposable income then it might be a very long time!

I think the micro-breweries can survive if they can make a nice local impact. I know a few distributers and they love micro-brews to drink but stocking them is problematic because individual sales are slow but they have to buy fairly large quantities. Establishing a local market and managing growth very carefully should be adequate. Doesn't Germany have a local brewery for every town?

Don't worry guys, AB will always have your sudsy back with their bottles of liquid America. :lol:
proxy.php

I live in a city with a metro population of just north of a million and we have four breweries and are about to add another three.

Grumpy Old Men and Fannin Brewing, which are both located in the small north Georgia mountain town of Blue Ridge sell every ounce of brew they can make. Often you will find yourself waiting for some time to enjoy one of their more popular brews. No beer drinking is alive and well around these parts

It's definitely not on the decline here in Colorado!
Colorado is the state I associate the craft beer movement with most. Back in the early 80s a friend's sister moved to Colorado and he would tell me stories of stills in restaurants. I was so excited to go to Denver in the early 92 to experience it (As well as the rugged beauty of the Rockies beyond Boulder) first hand!

Top Bottom