What's new

Wickhams 1912 - New And Unreleased

Hi everyone

The reason for making this post is the fact that I had the privilege of trying out a bespoke soap from one of our favourite UK Artisans - Wickham Soaps before it goes on general release!

The soap base is different to their Super Smooth, this one is called 1912.

The scent of the soap I received was a bespoke variety that matched a famous EDT. I'm not sure if I can say what it is but you may get an idea if you remember my recent search for such a fragrance. Also those eagle eyed amongst you may get an idea from the pics I have enclosed ;)

Firstly I must stress that this soap is not currently ready for general release. The packaging including the label may undergo a few tweaks before Darron decides it meets his usual high standards.

The soap itself is a harder variety than the Super Smooth, but it is still soft to the touch. You can easily scoop out a lump if necessary or you can load directly from the tub. That is what I did.

I started to load my brush with the soap and straight away the proto lather was exploding in the tub. I decided to face lather for this shave as that is my preferred method. I had no problem creating a fantastic lather that Darron explained should negate the requirement for balm post shave.

I hadn't shaved for the best part of a week so I didn't know what to expect, but it was Wickhams so I knew it was going to be great. I created mountains of lather from the little bit of loading I did, so I guess this soap will last me ages which is good because it smells fantastic.

The scent I guess is subjective, but to me it was reminiscent of my signature scent I was wearing when SWMBO first met me. It is subtle, but present. But I guess so is the fragrance it is based on. If you like the original you will love this soap believe me!

I find it hard to talk about slip, cushion, protection etc. But what I can say is that I had a great shave with no irritation or nicks. The razor glided across my face and I tested the cardinal sin of touching up areas without lather without any incident so I guess residual protection must be present (Its Wickhams, of course it is!).

I had enough for two passes with plenty left in the brush. I usually use aftershave balms, but decided to trust Darron and have stayed balm free post shave. I think he is right, however I am probably not the best person to quantify this as I 'Always Balm'.

After my shave I decided to go for some lather shots to show how much can be created from just a few circuits of the tub. I used to bowl lather so chose that method to see how much I could create.

My conclusion?

Darron has created another great soap. It is only my first shave, but already I am looking forward to using it the rest of the week. I guess I will have to get more shaves under my belt before I can really judge it, but first impressions are that it will definitely have a place in my den.

I understand that Darron has a range of scents available to him for this soap so hopefully everyone should find something that will take their fancy. As for those that like the EDT that my soap was based on? Keep your fingers crossed that it will make the cut as you need this soap in your arsenal.

So glad to see Wickhams is back--their super smooth line was superb. Do you know if he intends to keep both lines around or will the super smooth be replaced by the 1912?

So glad to see Wickhams is back--their super smooth line was superb. Do you know if he intends to keep both lines around or will the super smooth be replaced by the 1912?
That's a good question, I'm not sure but I can ask Darron for you if you'd like?

Awesome I`ll be keeping an eye out on this one. I realy enjoy the super smooth Wickhams and I`m gad he is back! Thanks for this post.

I received an email this morning stating that 1912 will be available July 14th, and is now available for pre-order. It comes in three flavors, Citrus Musk, Club Cola, and Russian Leather.

Connaught is offering 10% on pre-orders.

I am extremely happy, that Wickham is alive and kicking. I have just received Wickham 1912 Club Cola shaving soap and I have got first impression after using it for the first time.

Packaging is different than before and the soap is harder. Scent? Well... I am not huge fan of such kind of scents, but this one is really nice. It is of course Coke. It smells also like well caramelized lemon tart. 8/10 – high score for such type of scent.

Of course very important is performance. I have lathered the soap with synthetic Maggard ∅24 mm. Lather was thick, luxurious and there was plenty of lather. 10/10 Good job, Wickham!!!

Than I have started shaving with my Mühle Sophist (R89) razor and Treet Dura Sharp carbon steel razor blade. I have prepared face for shaving as always – washing hair and face with L'Oreal shampoo. Yes, I know, it is not very professional, but it works great for me. It was exceptionally good shaving – perfect glide and superb cushioning. Unbelievable! BBS 100% so easily. Also 10/10.

Damn, does this soap has any problems? Let's check post shave skin condition. It gets boring – also great post shave feeling – quite good scent and skin was really nice, similar to the condition after using Mitchell's Wool Fat. 10/10 – no doubts.

I have finished grooming with Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. What a wonderful start of the day!

Once again, great job, Wickham.

I have preordered Russian Leather. I am very curious how it will smell. If the scent will be really good, this soap will jump into my Top 10.

proxy.php

Just picked up a tub of the last run of Smooth Club Cola, first time with Wickham soaps, have heard great things and hope it goes well. Curious to hear how the new formula differs from the Smooth formula.

Received a complimentary sample of the Frankincense version from shavedash. Amazing soap with a scent that reminds me of Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (myrrh, vetiver & bergamot). Could someone comment on the other scents?

[MENTION=106878]Asterix[/MENTION] - Only the club cola. It's like cola with lime. Very citrusy, fairly sweet. It's refreshing and I enjoy it very much.
It's performance is right up there with Haslinger for me. Great soap.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I know this is an old thread. It's getting a bump here.

I've been using Wickham 1912, and I love it. The scents I've tried are Cashmere and Magnum. Both are subtle and very nice. The scents are rather elegant to my nose, and refined.

What makes the soap amazing is how perfectly it works for shaving. It lathers well for me as a face latherer. I do several passes without running out of soap, and I add water using the tips of my brush whenever I feel like it. I do not find the soap particularly fussy about the amount of water used.

The soap is very slick. Residual slickness is great. It's a nice, thick enough but not too thick lather on my face and neck. Every time. Every shave. It seems to me it is just about the perfect shaving soap.

I like a good many soaps, and find most soaps easy enough to use, but I've not found any to surpass Wickham 1912.

Oh, the tubs are oversized which makes loading easier I think.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I know this is an old thread. It's getting a bump here.

I've been using Wickham 1912, and I love it. The scents I've tried are Cashmere and Magnum. Both are subtle and very nice. The scents are rather elegant to my nose, and refined.

What makes the soap amazing is how perfectly it works for shaving. It lathers well for me as a face latherer. I do several passes without running out of soap, and I add water using the tips of my brush whenever I feel like it. I do not find the soap particularly fussy about the amount of water used.

The soap is very slick. Residual slickness is great. It's a nice, thick enough but not too thick lather on my face and neck. Every time. Every shave. It seems to me it is just about the perfect shaving soap.

I like a good many soaps, and find most soaps easy enough to use, but I've not found any to surpass Wickham 1912.

Oh, the tubs are oversized which makes loading easier I think.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm glad to hear the 1912 soaps are good performers. The only reason I've not bought any so far was that one of the Super Smooth soaps I received started going "grainy" quite quickly, as if it was separating out or even going off. Perhaps I was just unlucky.

There is a local men's shop near me that collaborates with Wickham for their branded soap. They sell theirs for 25 pounds, and only have 3 scents (Classic, Cola, and Sensitive)... whereas Wickham sells theirs for 15 and have more varieties. After reading this I'm thinking I should pick some up from connaught shaving

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
There is a local men's shop near me that collaborates with Wickham for their branded soap. They sell theirs for 25 pounds, and only have 3 scents (Classic, Cola, and Sensitive)... whereas Wickham sells theirs for 15 and have more varieties. After reading this I'm thinking I should pick some up from connaught shaving

Which one did you pick up?

The two scents I have - Cashmere and Magnum - are subtle, but not faint. I have no idea what they smell like to a skilled nose, but they are elegant and refined, gentlemanly scents. Not stodgy. I like both equally, and am not entirely sure I can tell a great deal of difference.

I have only about 15 soaps, or maybe 20. This is my favorite so far. The scent is not off-putting. The shave qualities are outstanding. I apply very thickly from a moderately-heavily loaded brush to my beard; someone described it like applying spackling. That's close. Then I add water with the bristle tips, and lather.

I find the soap very creamy. My skin likes it. It shaves well with glide and residual slickness.

If you know Captain's Choice soaps you might find Wickham 1912 somewhat similar. My Captain's Choice North has a powerful scent, very powerful. Wickham 1912 is not faint, but its scent is not in the league with North when strength of the scent is considered. The two soaps are similar. I do not know how to clearly describe the differences. I like them both. I like 1912 better.

The North scent is appealing and powerful. The 1912 scents are refined, subtle, and attractive.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Which one did you pick up?

The two scents I have - Cashmere and Magnum - are subtle, but not faint. I have no idea what they smell like to a skilled nose, but they are elegant and refined, gentlemanly scents. Not stodgy. I like both equally, and am not entirely sure I can tell a great deal of difference.

I have only about 15 soaps, or maybe 20. This is my favorite so far. The scent is not off-putting. The shave qualities are outstanding. I apply very thickly from a moderately-heavily loaded brush to my beard; someone described it like applying spackling. That's close. Then I add water with the bristle tips, and lather.

I find the soap very creamy. My skin likes it. It shaves well with glide and residual slickness.

If you know Captain's Choice soaps you might find Wickham 1912 somewhat similar. My Captain's Choice North has a powerful scent, very powerful. Wickham 1912 is not faint, but its scent is not in the league with North when strength of the scent is considered. The two soaps are similar. I do not know how to clearly describe the differences. I like them both. I like 1912 better.

The North scent is appealing and powerful. The 1912 scents are refined, subtle, and attractive.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hi Jim, I actually haven't picked up any yet, but I'm definitely eyeing the Club Cola.. just have to convince SWMBO! If I do pick it up it will be my first artisan soap, actually. I've only been wet shaving for a few years and only within the past month or so (after joining B+B) have I started picking up (cheap commercial) soaps/creams other than my trust first tub of TOBS. I've been reluctant to grab an artisan soap because you just never know what you'll like...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi Jim, I actually haven't picked up any yet, but I'm definitely eyeing the Club Cola.. just have to convince SWMBO! If I do pick it up it will be my first artisan soap, actually. I've only been wet shaving for a few years and only within the past month or so (after joining B+B) have I started picking up (cheap commercial) soaps/creams other than my trust first tub of TOBS. I've been reluctant to grab an artisan soap because you just never know what you'll like...

No truer words...

I like the Wickham 1912 soaps I use, but you might not. I like creamy, easy to lather, very protective soap. I want a good skin feel during and after the shave. The scents are important to me, and terribly subjective. None of that tells me little about your response to a soap.

Many people like some soaps I do not like.

There are so many ways to approach soaps. One way is to try the classics. Another, the most inexpensive. Another, the most expensive. Another, the best reviewed (but reviews are subjective).

If I won the lottery I'd buy several soaps to try, but I'm not entirely sure anything would surpass Wickham 1912. I have ordered a more expensive and very highly regarded and reviewed shaving soap, and I'm looking forward to finding out if I like it as well as or better than 1912.

Also, one has to learn how to use a new soap. They have somewhat individual qualities and require a bit of experience sometimes to unlock. Wickham 1912 had a tiny learning curve for me.

I'm sure SWMBO has importance in your decisions, and that she wants the best for you.

Happy shaves,

Jim has

Top Bottom