What's new

Please Tell Me About This Kamisori

link to tutorials please.

If you look on YouTube for kamisori honing/kamisori shaving then tons come up.
After the first 5 you quickly get the idea - more laps on Omote than Ura (10:1, 12:2, 15:3 or just make it up) and lots of people doing gymnastics using only the Omote against the face for shaving, and lots more people developing and adapting the tradition by using both Omote and Ura sides...

For some reason the big Henkotsus are rising to the surface at the moment.
Jeremy has three and now I have another.
It's 8/8(!) and the handle needed wrapping.
Before:
proxy.php

And after:
proxy.php

Maybe I should've wrapped the handle before honing it, but it just wouldn't wait!

Last edited:
thanks, lots to learn, I see there are different styles and I have no clue how to sharpen them. looking at

Azuma Yasuki Steel and a

Henkotsu Kamisori.

their angles are completely different and I have never honed a razor before so I am trying to find something that would be easy to hone for a newbie.

thanks, lots to learn, I see there are different styles and I have no clue how to sharpen them. looking at
their angles are completely different and I have never honed a razor before so I am trying to find something that would be easy to hone for a newbie.

It might be better to start with razors that have a Western style symmetrical grind then.
And again YouTube will supply a vast number of very good razor honing videos.

any clue what names I should be looking for then?
It might be better to start with razors that have a Western style symmetrical grind then.
And again YouTube will supply a vast number of very good razor honing videos.
found.
Kenwa Japanese Straight Razor

but it's a lot more than I am willing to invest right now

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Gents, I recently looked at some eBay listings for Kamisori and saw quite of few that were listed as NOS, but were obviously reground to make them serviceable. Now grinding new hollows into a kamisori will prolong its service life and will shave just as well as a NOS one, but to charge high prices under the fraudulent guise of NOS is terrible. If you guys have any you are contemplating look very carefully at the description pics and compare them to new Kamisori profiles.

Gents, I recently looked at some eBay listings for Kamisori and saw quite of few that were listed as NOS, but were obviously reground to make them serviceable. Now grinding new hollows into a kamisori will prolong its service life and will shave just as well as a NOS one, but to charge high prices under the fraudulent guise of NOS is terrible. If you guys have any you are contemplating look very carefully at the description pics and compare them to new Kamisori profiles.
that sucks, I was looking at 2 NOS, but I can't tell if they are good, pics of a new Kamisori profile would be nice.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I wouldn't ever buy anything on eBay NOS for a premium price , let alone the mysterious and poorly documented Japanese Vintage Kamisori.

3: my over honed beater
2: pretty decent condition Henkotsu medium size
1: new mono steel Takami

I wouldn't ever buy anything on eBay NOS for a premium price , let alone the mysterious and poorly documented Japanese Vintage Kamisori.

You're absolutely right!
As I'm discovering, the Western knowledge base for kamisori is currently sparse and small.

Perhaps discussions like this can contribute to it.

After acquiring that first big Henkotsu, I am absolutely fascinated by kamisori and surprised at how little we seem to know about them.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You're absolutely right!
As I'm discovering, the Western knowledge base for kamisori is currently sparse and small.

Perhaps discussions like this can contribute to it.

After acquiring that first big Henkotsu, I am absolutely fascinated by kamisori and surprised at how little we seem to know about them.

I think you probably already know more about them than the average Japanese! :)

I think you probably already know more about them than the average Japanese! :)

Was gonna say :)

FWIW I find Vintage NOS to be the most overrated thing in the wetshaving world in general, not just for kamis. The price jump is typically extreme and there is no real advantage (other than the "it's mine and mine alone" feels) over a well cared for vintage blade. Indeed, often the well maintained vintage used blade will be in better condition than a NOS blade that has been sitting in its deteriorating box for decades.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Was gonna say :)

FWIW I find Vintage NOS to be the most overrated thing in the wetshaving world in general, not just for kamis. The price jump is typically extreme and there is no real advantage (other than the "it's mine and mine alone" feels) over a well cared for vintage blade. Indeed, often the well maintained vintage used blade will be in better condition than a NOS blade that has been sitting in its deteriorating box for decades.

I would add that vintage used blades have already been "test driven" and proven to shave.

Got my second kamisori underway now - a big 8/8 Henkotsu:
proxy.php

There was a lot of work to be done on this one and a lot of bad steel on the edge which, for some reason, surprised me.

But 3 hours later (!) she was ready to shave:
proxy.php

At 8/8 with a square point this is quite a formidable blade but the shave is so comfortable.

And the character of this razor is quite different from my other Henkotsu.

I guess kamisori are the new frontier [emoji3]

Top Bottom