What's new

Source for a Flax Linen Strop

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here is one I made with firehose linen. I got it off of ebay. Just got a piece of what I believe to be older linen at a second hand store need to create one out of that to compare.

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Pete, where'd you get the hardware for this?

Pete, where'd you get the hardware for this?

Hi Kevin,

The hardware is from Lowe's Hardware Big Box hardware store - the screws are 'Chicago screws' - here is a link [click here] to what they look like, as it may be hard to find them if you ask the store clerk for them. The end pieces are hitch pins - also from the 'Hardware' aisle at lowes - in the drawers with all sorts of stuff (knobs, screws, stainless screws, etc.). At Lowes - the hitch pins are about $3.75 each and the Chicago screws are $0.80/each.

I have about 65 ft of linen fire hose from the 60s, it hung in an accordion style rack so it has some creases about every 18 or 20 inches. It's 2.5in wide and appears to be unused so no ground in dirt, if some of you want to try it, pm me. I'm in it about $1 a foot I'd like to get my money back plus shipping.
Steve

Hi Kevin,

The hardware is from Lowe's Hardware Big Box hardware store - the screws are 'Chicago screws' - here is a link [click here] to what they look like, as it may be hard to find them if you ask the store clerk for them. The end pieces are hitch pins - also from the 'Hardware' aisle at lowes - in the drawers with all sorts of stuff (knobs, screws, stainless screws, etc.). At Lowes - the hitch pins are about $3.75 each and the Chicago screws are $0.80/each.

Thanks! It seems I am rarely actually in a physical store these days (I do 99% of my purchasing online) so I don't even know what sort of things are carried by most retail places anymore. Serves me right: get out of the house and go look at stuff!

I have about 65 ft of linen fire hose from the 60s, it hung in an accordion style rack so it has some creases about every 18 or 20 inches. It's 2.5in wide and appears to be unused so no ground in dirt, if some of you want to try it, pm me. I'm in it about $1 a foot I'd like to get my money back plus shipping.
Steve

I got mine in the mail today, already replaced the nylon on my strop with some. Might just be me, but it seems to make a difference from just trying it out quickly. I haven't shaved off of it yet, but it seems to improve a hht.

Thanks again Steve!

$1462998293798.jpg

Attachments

• $1462998012905.jpg
    $1462998012905.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 55
Top Bottom