What's new

The Sprout-2016

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I officially have tomatoes on my heirloom tomatoes. The Cherokee Purple are the first. Pea sized.

Garlic is making its appearance.

$image.jpg

I planted these green onions from store bought. I just cut off the tops leaving some green. About a 2 to 3 inch cut. Stuck them down into the ground and bingo, two weeks later they have grown more 4 to 6 inches. Once they get about 10 inches I'll start trimming for use. They keep growing back too.

$image.jpg

Everything is from seed.
Cabbage, sweet yellow onion, beets, radish, carrots, turnips, collards, Roma tomatoes, asparagus (the fuzzy ones), cilantro, Italian flat leaf parsley, thyme, oregano, chives and basil.

Frost resistant.... Decided to throw this together today. Its all 1/2 pvc, T-posts and wire. I have some 8' wide plastic that should fit over the top quite easily. I think this will give me another month or so out of my garden. Just drop the sides on a chilly morning then roll it back up when it's 90 the next day!!!

Gotta love Texas weather!!!

proxy.php

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Frost resistant.... Decided to throw this together today. Its all 1/2 pvc, T-posts and wire. I have some 8' wide plastic that should fit over the top quite easily. I think this will give me another month or so out of my garden. Just drop the sides on a chilly morning then roll it back up when it's 90 the next day!!!

Gotta love Texas weather!!!

proxy.php

That's a good setup. Simple, inexpensive and works great.

That's a good setup. Simple, inexpensive and works great.

Yup... I have $22 into it!!! 11 sticks of 1/2, 16 caps, 4 couplings, 8 T-post and some wire. I already had the T-posts.

I cut the t-posts into 18" sections and drove them into the ground to use as anchors. Then I tied the pipe to the anchors with the wire. Used additional T-posts on the ends and center to provide support for the plastic cover. The cover (not shown) is what we used to wrap our cotton bales. Its pretty stout so it should hold up well.

I've been using this type of clip for years. They grip the string so they can't slide and have lots of room for the stem. Get a number of seasons out a clip until it finally breaks at the hinge.

proxy.php

proxy.php

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've been using this type of clip for years. They grip the string so they can't slide and have lots of room for the stem. Get a number of seasons out a clip until it finally breaks at the hinge.

proxy.php

proxy.php

dave

Thats it.

My problem is I've got more then one main stem. :blink:

I trim down to one stem, break of any secondaries (indeterminate type plants) along with all the suckers. If i miss a stem and it gets big, growing on gang-busters, i'll hang another string if needed but i've also clipped them onto the string that's already there.

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Those look great and I can get them here. I still have a good amount of the soft tie left, so will use that up first.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I planted 2 x Jalapenos, 1 x habanero, 1 x poblano pepper and a tomatillo. re potted the second overwintered habanero.
The were a few chives in the large pot that I used for the habanero, so planted them in the middle of the tomatoes. I have a some basil to go next to the tomatoes as well.

$20161024_140751 (2).jpg

$20161024_140700.jpg

Hope this will spring into life now it has a new home.

$20161024_140714.jpg

Hung up a cheap thermometer. The front door has been open all morning and it's 20'C in there. Yesterday it hit 26'C.
I need to open the door in the day to give airflow for the tomatoes.

$20161024_140800.jpg

Chris, that habenero looks like it has leaf buds at the nodes on some of the branches, i would think you're good to go. The iffy branches, you could cut just above a node to see if the branch has any green inside- good, if only brown- dead, cut back to another node...

Soup bean harvest, can't say it's cost effective growing your own but the only way i've got to get the cool coloured ones in quantity. Unfortunately cooking kills the look.

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Dave, yes there are some buds starting. I had a good look at some of the brown branches and it look like they are about to sprout some buds as well. I'll leave it as is till next weekend and see what the new home and warmth does to it. A couple of the very end pieces need to go for sure but think this will pull through ok.
I was reading that over wintered super hot chillies put out about five times as many peppers than the first year plants not sure on the hab but will be happy with them fruiting earlier.
I have two new habs', one in the ground and the other in a pot, just to see which one grows better. I'll try and over winter both and are keen to see how digging one up, cutting back the roots and taking inside in a pot goes. We will see.

Those beans do look good. I gave up worrying about the cost saving with the garden, as long as the produce taste better, than I'm happy.

Top Bottom