What's new

whats the difference between a "Texas Tea"cocktail and a long island iced tea

ive heard texas tea is suppose to be stronger but the recipes look pretty much the same

also,can you actually taste the alcohol in a texas tea.i had a long island iced tea once and they used some kind of wierd sweet and sour mix so it tasted more like pop then it did an alcoholic drink,i cant say i didnt like it.but when i drink alcohol i like to have it taste like alcohol and this just tasted like i was drinking some kind of lemon lime soda

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Don't know about Texas Tea, but a Long Island Ice Tea is supposed to be an easy to drink concoction that will get you hammered without the taste of alcohol.

I think it depends on the resteraunt you are in. May be one ingredient switch. But I've found them to be for people who want to get buzzed quickly and don't like the taste of alcohol. Sweet is the exact discription I'd use for it.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
[FONT=&amp]Whats the difference between a 'Texas Tea' and a 'Long Island Iced Tea'?

The Texas version has the worm w/ the [/FONT][FONT=&amp]tequila!
proxy.php

$Tequila Worm.jpg[/FONT][FONT=&amp] "[Having a drink]… is a [neat] way of ending the day". Ernest Hemingway [/FONT]

Never drank Texas Tea. (isn't that what Jed Clampett found bubbling out of the ground? "Oil that is, black gold, Texas Tea")*

But a well made Long Island Iced Tea should taste very much like regular iced tea.
It's generally "five white liquors" (usually equal parts Rum, Vodka, Tequila, Gin, triple sec) along with sour mix and a splash of cola. Through the mysteries of Alchemy, it does result in something suggestive of Iced Tea.

A good one can be a pleasant way to get a buzz -- although not particularly sophisticated. Usually drunk by youngins who haven't yet developed a taste for real cocktails.

*Just for giggles:

Last edited by a moderator:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Just FYI. Mezcal, not Tequila, has the worm. Unless they just changed this.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Same here. I'm in Texas and never have heard of the drink, but I grew up spitting distance from Spindletop.

When I bartended in college, a Long Island was vodka, gin, rum, triple-sec, sweet & sour, and a splash of cola.
Texas tea was vodka, tequila, rum, triple-sec, sweet & sour, and a splash of cola.

I made quite a few, and got to the point that I could hold and pour the four liquors at the same time.

Interesting. The sub of Tequila for Gin makes sense in the name of the drink now.

I'm lucky to live in a state that allows a 5 liquor pour, so the common theme was to use both gin and tequila. Back when I was drinking them though, (it's probably been 20 years) I remember some places being restricted to 3 liquor pours due to their state liquor law. (or sometimes restaurant insurance.)

Top Bottom