What's new

Honing Video using Jnat to remove scratches

Here is a video I made last week that shows removing Shapton 500 and King 1000 grit scratches. It is not my best video and the title on the top should read USING 3 STONES TO CREATE THREE DIFFERENT SCRATCHES ON ONE RAZOR

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Excellent Alex, I have always been amazed at the cutting power of some of theses JNats. They very much can cut faster than you think they are if you are new to JNats.

Cheers, Steve

Alex,

As stated I am always amazed what these stones are capable of doing, thank you for taking the time to do this video, I am really enjoying the Okudo and Nakayama stones I received from you.

Not that I am very experienced but just this morning I joined the edge on Le Grelot Royal Canada then used a DMT 600 card and worked up a medium/heavy slurry and was able to reset the bevel and then finish on two different tomo's that you included with the Nakayama.

Yeah they are very quick on DN slurry. Tomo slurry is usually quite a bit slower on harder stones though - partly because it's hard to get as thick a slurry. Another factor in apparent speed is the surface area of the bevel. The smaller the area, (narrower the bevel width) the faster it will be cleaned up due to increased pressure per unit of area.

Last edited:
Great Stuff as usual Alex. No camera tricks, very easy and clear for new guys to understand what's going on! Thanks for posting!

Yeah they are very quick on DN slurry. Tomo slurry is usually quite a bit slower on harder stones though - partly because it's hard to get as thick a slurry. Another factor in apparent speed is the surface area of the bevel. The smaller the area, (narrower the bevel width) the faster it will be cleaned up due to increased pressure per unit of area.

Eric
That is a very important observation regarding the width of the bevel. I am also noticing the apparent concentration of abrasion that seems to naturally happen at the actual edge portion of the bevel, where the slurry gathers. I only use edge leading strokes, maybe I will make a video using spine leading strokes. What do you think, any predictions on the spine vs. the edge leading?

Alex

Hello my friend, long time no talk! Yes, I think you will see the reverse. The scratches will be removed quicker on the opposite side, away from the bevel. I think this will happen because I believe the slurry tends to very slightly convex the leading side. Let me know what you find!

Top Bottom