What's new

Favorite gin?

On the rocks tonight.
proxy.php

With all this sampling of Gin over the last few months, I've also started drinking more martinis. My current favorite for martini is Botanist (or is it "Botanist 22" -- there's a big "22" on the label for the 22 herbs/flavors in it). It beats most of what I had tried. (still need to compare side by side to an identical martini with Hendricks).

Last edited:
FYI, on my martini and its variations, YMMV:

My version of Martini:

* 1.5 to 2 oz Gin

* 0.5 Oz Vermouth (the dry versions of either Dolin or Noilly Prat are best; substitute a dry white wine (Chardonnay) if that's all that's in your refrigerator) (I like close to 4 to 1 on Gin:Vermouth, but anything between 3:1 and 4:1 is great)

* Olive or Olive brine [splash of olive brine, e.g. 0.2 to 0.3 oz. Alternatively put an olive or two in the shaker if you are shaking or three olives in the jar if you are stirring; can also substitute a splash of pickle brine for half of the olive brine]

* dash (2-3 drops) of Angostura Bitters or Bitter Truth Bitters (or any bitters on the shelf that catches your fancy; lots of martini "recipes" call for orange bitters, but I don't like that at all)

* OPTIONS: tiny sliver of lemon in the shaker or stirring jar; tiny sliver of cucumber in the shaker or stirring jar. In truth, the olive line and the bitters line are both optional as well for that matter.

Shaken over ice or stirred with ice -- I don't think it matters; Sorry Mr. Bond. Then strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Drop in an olive or a small lemon twist if you are inclined.

[My Texas summer porch by the pool version of this is to also add a big spherical ice ball to the martini if you are sitting outside in the heat -- the ice ball just slowly rotates nicely, doesn't dilute much, and keeps it chilled.]

Last edited:
Took a walk down the gin aisle in my local liquor superstore and was amazed at all the brands I saw which were new to me and not mentioned in the pages here. I'd guess that there were 60-80 brands on the shelves. It's looking like the scotch aisle. I think I'm done trying for awhile, but it was amazing to see.

With all this sampling of Gin over the last few months, I've also started drinking more martinis. My current favorite for martini is Botanist (or is it "Botanist 22" -- there's a big "22" on the label for the 22 herbs/flavors in it). It beats most of what I had tried. (still need to compare side by side to an identical martini with Hendricks).

I just picked up a Botanist earlier today. Will try it tomorrow night for sure...

Kinda late to this party but New Amsterdam for cheap mixing of gin and tonics or a gin buck. It really is hard to find a better gin for the price.

Hendricks for martinis and on the rocks. Really does work well in gin and tonics too w/ cucumber garnish. I'm actually kind of a gin noob and have only tried a few. I think I plan on picking up a bottle of Bombay Sapphire the next time I buy a bottle. Monkey 47 has my interest but seems like the price is quite high. Would rather spend that money on a nice bottle of single malt scotch.

Never late for this party.. it just keeps on flowing.

I mostly drink gin in negronis. Beefeater is good it brings out the orange characteristic. Sapphire is great in a negroni. Tanqueray 10 I like for gt and Hendricks.

Beefeater. I always call for it when ordering a martini. If Beefeater is unavailable, I'll ask for Tanqueray.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I was out at the Golden Nugget in Lake Charles, LA, and I was pleased to find that their well gin was New Amsterdam.

I plan on starting to drink gin when I'm over 70. I hear gin-soaked raisins are an old and delicious home remedy for arthritis.I'm not sure if you are supposed to eat them or make a poultice. Maybe both? :tongue_sm

I plan on starting to drink gin when I'm over 70. I hear gin-soaked raisins are an old and delicious home remedy for arthritis.I'm not sure if you are supposed to eat them or make a poultice. Maybe both? :tongue_sm
IIRC the raisins are optional [emoji41]

So I found myself needing some more gin and I stopped at a random liquor store that was near my house. Choices were a few Tanquerays, a few Bombays, Boodles, Aviation, Hendricks, and New Amsterdam. I desperately tried to remember the favorites from this thread, but couldn't remember anything other than Monkey 47 and New Amsterdam. I was scared off by the price of New Amsterdam (on the one side) and Hendricks (on the other). So I went with this:

$aviation-gin.jpg

It was a few bucks more than the others, so I figured it was worth a shot. And the results were - meh.

I'll finish it up in mixed drinks but I think I'll have to shop elsewhere for another bottle sometime soon. I enjoy flavorful gins (including Hendricks) and the last bottle I had - St. George Terroir - really grew on me.

Regarding New Amsterdam, I couldn't remember whether it was good for the price or good.

So I'll keep my eyes open for something else to try.

Top Bottom