What's new

Merkur Futur Satisfaction

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
The Futur is the first razor I bought, over 8 years ago. I've never looked back or tried any other razors; why should I, the Futur is the perfect razor. It, like most adjustable, can tame almost any blade. If you like it mild, set it on 1; want aggressive? Go to 6+. I keep mine set at 6 for most blades, 5 for some others
I do have about 20 other Gillettes, but they are strictly for show, even the adjustables.

Even the dreaded Merkur blade works fine in the Futur.

Last edited:
Tonights shave was excellent as expected now that I had it properly adjusted. Shaved on level 2 and it was right about where I wanted it.
Happy now...

As a newbie I am looking for a mild razor. I had considered getting a merkur but I may wait until I have more experience under my belt.

Try a Merkur 23C long handle instead of a Futur for a damn good everyday razor at a reasonable price. You won't be sorry you did.

The Futur was my first DE razor. I've had it since November. It is big and heavy and I like that about the razor. I had no problems shaving under my nose with it and use it for head shaves as well.

This razor is capable of delivering a very close and comfortable shave. I recently shaved with a Kai finishing on setting 3 and could feel NO stubble for about 18 hours. In fact the shave was a little too close if there is such a thing.

That being said, this razor is wonderfully balanced, more aggressive on setting 1 than 80% of the razors out there and capable of super close shaves. I've tried milder razors and they lack both the tactile and audio feedback of the Futur. You KNOW when that $!^(# is cuttin!

Since getting it i've picked up a fat boy and a feather popular. The Futur is still my everyday, go to, razor and I love the shaves I get. Recently I've tried progressive settings like 1.5 first pass, then 2 then 2.5. I've settled on 1.5 - 2 - 3 and get BBS every time. No weepers or nicks since I stopped flicking my wrist at the end of every stroke (took about 1.23 shaves to figure that out OUCH!!!)

Two thumbs up.

Yes I also noticed that the Futur gives more feedback than my other razors which is cool and surprising given the weight of the thing. I think it's because the mass of the cap is probably less than other razors.

Last week I jumped on a new futur, best decision I had that day. I only used it twice and was really surprised how it shaved with the supplied blade on a week and a half growth on my face. Gonna give it some work today and see how a setting 2 is.

Good to hear. Part of me wishes they had a short handle version of it though. I'm just used to a 34c and angling the shorter handle. Not a huge deal though.

Yes I also noticed that the Futur gives more feedback than my other razors which is cool and surprising given the weight of the thing. I think it's because the mass of the cap is probably less than other razors.

The blade is less fixed than other razors. Allows it to vibrate more = increased feedback.

Good to hear. Part of me wishes they had a short handle version of it though. I'm just used to a 34c and angling the shorter handle. Not a huge deal though.

You know what? If the Merkur folks are using a standard thread (12-24 or whatever) you could buy or build a shorter handle. I'll take a look at mine and see if I can measure the major diameter and threads per inch. You would, however have to watch out for the weight balance as a shorter handle would need to be heavy (or perhaps back weighted) to maintain the balance point.

Or...

http://www.weberrazor.com/products

Hello,
To the Merkur Futur users out there, how has been your experience with them? Do you still use it regularly?
I have a 34c and sometimes I feel I need something more aggressive and hopefully get a little closer of a shave. I think an adjustable is nice so I can try different settings. The Futur seems interesting to me.

I prefer the Futur to the 34C by a good margin. I just can't get a BBS from the 34C. I can without issue with my EJ D89, Muhle R89 Twist, Feather AS-D1S, ATT S1, iKon Slant, etc... but not the 34C.

The Futur DID take some months to get to know. I did get weepers initially with every shave, but as time passed, I now get a BBS shave every time and never with any cuts/weepers/etc...

i am a real fan of the futur, it is the only modern razor i really like. i find it to be one of the most comfortable and closest shaving razors i have. i don't use it under my nose so the size of the head is not an issue to me. i use feather blades and increase the setting for each pass. 2-3-4 i have been using various NEWs lately, now i am thinking i better get the futur out of the drawer and back into rotation soon.

I use it. I tend to use razors for a couple of months before rotating. I like the futur, my reservation is it has no textured handle and it needs to be held carefully, but once I use for a week no problem.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
You know what? If the Merkur folks are using a standard thread (12-24 or whatever) you could buy or build a shorter handle. I'll take a look at mine and see if I can measure the major diameter and threads per inch. You would, however have to watch out for the weight balance as a shorter handle would need to be heavy (or perhaps back weighted) to maintain the balance point.

Or...

http://www.weberrazor.com/products

I don't think the Futur is a candidate for a different handle.

The Futur followed my Progress as the second razor I chose, and did so quite quickly. I'm glad I did buy it because using the Futur demonstrated clearly some of the reasons I wasn't totally happy with the Progress.

Size mattered; I liked the extra length of the handle and in my larger hands, the barrel diameter added easier fine adjustments in angle and attack.

The 'loose' (*and it really isn't per-say*) grip on a blade the Futur presented is quite noticeable to the Progress. (I later learned the Progress has a unique sense of the blade in its grip than any other razor I've tried to date.) I like how the cutting edge of a blade in the Futur 'speaks' to me.

Both of these Merkur razors have huge scuppers for clearing cut hair and lather off the face. Something I didn't fully appreciate until I started to shave with iKons, R41, and the AS-D2... (Not that they seem to have any problem at all sluffing off, but it is quite a difference visually - and for someone clearing a couple week beard, possibly a very noticeable performance factor.)

Adjustability was a prime consideration when I purchased, and all three of the Merkur adjustables do so easily and to good benefit in tuning in a blade/result experience.

Congrats on discovering a very nice addition to anyone's kit, I'm happy others are discovering how nice it is. I also note, I liked the gold finish better (for me) than satin: for some reason, the smooth surface of the lacquered finish glides better on my face.

I got my Futur about two months ago, around the same time I got my Fatboy. I tried my Futur once and it left me with some ingrowns that I still am fighting. In the meantime, I've used the Fatboy dozens of times, and it has quickly become my favorite. I've been itching to try the Futur again, now that I feel my technique has improved drastically since the last attempt.

Top Bottom