What's new

A question about density

Ok so I bought a Duke 3, and really enjoyed it. The second brush I brought was the 27mm epsilon, I just got this brush this past week. I have worked it twice to try to get rid of the funk. Today I used it to shave with. The brush is the two band version and is very dense. I love the face feel of this thick brush.

So my question is this. When I was using the brush today I noticed that the cream seemed to be held very close to the knot and it didn't splay as well as my Simpson. Will this open up over time or do I need to make sure I use that much more product. I did find myself using more cream than normal already. Am I doing something wrong with the denser brush? Is it easier to work with a brush that is less dense?

I'm asking these questions cause I'm going to be buying my dad a brush and I'm not sure what type would be easier to use for him. I want a brush that will have a good brush with a decent backbone and nice tips. Thanks yall

@kxthor topic delete not sure how to go about sorry

Edit: Never own a epsilon brush so I can't explain wait until others comes along to help you.

Last edited:
I have a few brushes in my collection that are very dense. Dense brushes tend to be lather hogs, as you have already discovered.

I deal with it personally by using more product, whether it be loading more soap or using more cream.

Try using more product. The bigger knot probably has a lot more hair regardless of density. It may have inferior flow through no matter what depending on how the knot is made.

What loft is your Epsilson 2-Band?

The 55mm one should open up, nicely, whereas the 50mm one won't and will maintain that extreme backbone.

Epsilon Two Band Badger Horn Imitation Shaving Brush 50/27mm Knot

I originally wanted to get the 55. But I'm using more hard soaps than creams at the moment. I'm going to try with the mwf today.

Top Bottom