What's new

affordable stright razors

I am new to shaving with a stright razor and I am looking for for some affordable ones I am currently shaving with a Thiers Issard 5/8 hollow ground and love it dose anyone have any suggestions on what else is out there that is good quality and not gonna break the bank and what dose everyone think about the current razor should I have started with something else.

That was my first SR. my second I bought a used square point hart steel off eBay at a good price. (50% cost)
I wanted to try a square point and a heavier grind.
Many also chat up Portland razor. Their basic is about 120. Can't speak to a comparison. There is a wait to get it, Mine is almost ready.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I find the stright razors to be much cheaper than the straight razors. They really make you pay through the nose for that "A".

Try a good and shave ready one from some knowledgeable member. Shouldn't set you back too much and it will work as good as anything.

If you are looking for new, you have to go a long way to beat a razor set up by Jarrrod at The Superior Shave. He sells only good quality products and stands behind every sale. A Boker King Kutter for $125.00 is a fine piece of equipment that there is small doubt you would fall in love with.

Last edited:
Give us a ball park $$, and we'll give you more suggestions than you'll ever find helpful. Or perhaps help us narrow your search. You have a new blade already. Want to try a vintage? Or perhaps a different grind, modern or vintage. Bigger, smaller, etc.

I have read great things about vintage razors and would love to own one I would like to go a little bigger but being a beginner what is the easiest to shave with open to suggestions really don't want to spend over $200 for the razor

I would suggest any razor by genco/geneva. You can't go wrong if the hone wear is ok.
There are a ton of GENCO "Henry's X" models floating around out there with both square and round points. They're a 3/4 hollow, beautiful steel that will take a great edge. A little corrosion not near the bevel is no big thing. Wouldn't pay more than $40, although a really pristine example might go a bit higher.

I've got a 6/8 sq pt Henry's X that may be my most fav straight.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You've got a lot of options for a $200 budget. Vintage American/German razors are usually not expensive so you might be able to get 3 in excellent shape for that.

Vintage English tend to run higher as they're currently popular, especially the heavy 'choppers' which I personally do not like that much.

If you're willing to brave the Japanese eBay sellers or Yahoo auctions Japan, there are a lot of razors of the very highest quality steel at good prices.

Keep an eye on the sell/trade boards too, sometimes some really nice razors show up.

Cheers, Steve

You've got a lot of options for a $200 budget. Vintage American/German razors are usually not expensive so you might be able to get 3 in excellent shape for that.

Vintage English tend to run higher as they're currently popular, especially the heavy 'choppers' which I personally do not like that much.

If you're willing to brave the Japanese eBay sellers or Yahoo auctions Japan, there are a lot of razors of the very highest quality steel at good prices.

Keep an eye on the sell/trade boards too, sometimes some really nice razors show up.

Cheers, Steve

+1. $200 is more than double what I have ever spent on a new straight, and three to four times what I have ever spent on vintage.

My advice, in increasing cost order (but all are equally good options really):

1. Gold Dollar or ZY430+ honed by someone on the forums. A few forum members hone them and sell them on the 'bay. Will probably be about $20-30, will be new, and will shave as well as any razor.
2. Sight Unseen razor from Whipped Dog. Larry sells them for $43 last I checked. Lots of people vouch for his honing skills.
3. One of Seraphim's works of art at vorpalrazors.weebly.com. He often has one in the $60 range but it varies. This will give you a one of a kind razor that is amazing to look at and will shave great. I keep meaning to buy one myself.
4. New honed NTS Solingen or entry level Dovo or Boker from The Superior Shave. Jarrod puts a great edge on the blade and these are fine products. Will probably run you $90-$120.

You really shouldn't have any need to spend more than that. Personally I recommend the Gold Dollar route. Ask around and people will recommend forum members currently selling them honed.

Last edited:
No; TI are simply very desirable (as in, in high demand and generally very nice) razors and thus not cheap.

I got that price because of what I paid for my TI did I over pay
Yes and no.
This is about what cost a new razor. So in that sense you did not overpay. My first razor was also one such TI and was a great introduction to what to expect from a straight razor.
However, used razor or even NOS in most cases will be cheaper than that. But there is more risk involved.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Uneven hone wear, i.e. smiles, frowns, excessive hone wear, rust pitting especially on or near the edge, blade not centering in scales, loose scales, hard-to-see cracks in blade....

Cheers, Steve

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have a couple of Genevas. They're really nice and take a fine edge.

Top Bottom