What's new

Gillette mini

Gents,

I recently pulled this from the wild for a whopping $7.00 USD. The old knot was a mysterious brown that popped right out without much persuasion... horse, maybe? The hole measures out at 17+ mm.

I have a 16mm silvertip grade A on the way from TGN. I'll post some shots when I get it set.

Anyone else have one of these that they'd like to share? Was this part of a set? Any idea what year these were produced?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice find. Those came with the Gillette travel and combination sets in a metal tin. Hard to date it without the razor but it could be from the teens into the 30's.

I had one that came in a combination set with a gold plated standard 2 piece old type. Like a single ring.

Not that nice looking. The one I had didn't say Rubberset on the bottom though. It was in a leather traveler, and inside the brush was in a metal tube along with a shave stick in a matching metal tube. Along with the razor and two matching blade banks.

Mine was very similar to this one; http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1921 Standard Set 00G-02.JPG

They also sometimes came in these sets like shipr said; http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1910 Combination Set 461 Canada.JPG

Or this; http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1918 Combination Set 461B.JPG

Those examples had a different brush, but Gillette mixed and matched stuff a lot.

Looking forward to seeing it with a new knot in it!! Congratulations!
That old knot is funky.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Just restored one as well, the new knot is a Shavemac D01 2-band knot.

Attachments

• $IMG_3129.jpg
    $IMG_3129.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 101
R

romsitsa

Hello,

sorry for hijacking the thread. A Gillette brush came with a 422 set, I don't have any better photos of it right now, but it looks to be a No. 102 badger brush.

The upper part of the handle could be unscrewed, so removing the knot by pushing it back was quite simple.
I found some yellowish residue in the threads, like thick sellak, so my question is were those handles glued after the knot was inserted?
The second thing tha makes me headaches, had all brushes the script outline in black? Mine has no traces of any paint, I could replicate it, but I'm not sure what to do.

View attachment 689904

Thanks

Adam

what a sweet restore on both of those.now i must find one.as to the color of the original script i imagine it was black from the look of the two restored one's

I have one of those as well, i wanted to restore it. But ended up leavin it alone aftet a poster mentioned that they are delicate. Looks great with that new knot sir!

here's mine (not restored):

proxy.php

proxy.php

This is my 1930 New Deluxe travel set. The brush looks like it was never used. I was tempted to use it once, but that urge went away when I got my Simpsons Wee Scot, which is the same size. My Gillette brush probably would have fallen apart, so I'm glad I didn't use it. I picked this set up at an antique store for about $40 last year.
$image.jpg

$40 for that set is such a steal, considering you could probably make around $500 for that (probably way more).

great set!

$40 for that set is such a steal, considering you could probably make around $500 for that (probably way more).

great set!

OK, I lied. I just found the receipt. I paid $44.10 for it. On the same purchase, I got this 1934 Aristocrat for $31.50. So I got the pair for $75.60. It was a good day at that antique store! Sorry the picture of the Aristocrat isn't so good.

$image.jpg

Top Bottom