What's new

Changes to your original routine

As I was shaving this morning, it occurred to me that my current routine and products have changed significantly since I started to wet shave about 5 months ago. It made me wonder, what changes have you made from your original routine and products?

I started with a Boker Straight, a Parker Silvertip brush, a small crome bowl, TOBS Sandlewood soap, and Nivia Balm.

My current setup is a Feather AC DX blade, a Zenith Silvertip brush, a GP scuttle, Proraso pre shave cream, Cella, Castle Forbes Lime, or Saponificio Varesino soap, and Ogallala Bay Rum as.

upgraded from VDH badger to Semogue 1800, face to bowl lathering. Tonight witch hazel with enter the routine after fine American blend (which replaced clubman)
Other than that: still my injectors, still my van der spice and vintage Colgate soaps

I've changed up everything but aftershave since I started in September 2014. I began with a Captain's Choice sampler, and I ended up buying full-size bottles of two scents. I did add some others along the way though that I use in rotation.

My changes include:
  • Going from an EJ Kelvin to a pre-war Tech
  • Going from a Whipped Dog badger brush to a Stirling Kong synthetic brush
  • Going from bowl lathering to face lathering
  • Going from Col. Konk to Tabac
  • Going from hot water to cold water shaving - didn't notice any difference with hot, so decided to go with cold since it is faster
  • Dropping XTG passes - I found they led to more chances for irritation and/or weepers
  • Dropping the use of an alum block - I found it didn't do anything for me
  • Dropping the use of a moisturizer - It seemed like I was getting ingrown hairs more often when using a moisturizer, which I attribute to clogged pores

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My original setup was Proraso White pre-shave, Merkur 34C, TOBS Avocado, Omega Pro 49, alum block, and Nivea For Men Sensitive AS balm. It was all hot water. I worked up my lather in a scuttle. I did three passes and some touchup. The main changes are:

-- dropped the pre-shave altogether
-- I haven't picked up the Merkur in close to a year, and I gave it away
-- TOBS Avocado no longer is in my den, although many (too many) soaps and creams are, and I switch those up a good deal
-- I still have the Pro 49 and still use it, but I have a good deal more other brushes that I use (and a handful that get more use)
-- alum block has been replaced with witch hazel (but still is used for grip and deodorant)
-- The Nivea is gone and replaced with a healthy handful of splashes
-- I soak my brush in warm water and work up my lather with hot water, but I use cold water for between-pass splashes and rinsing.
-- The scuttle has been all but completely replaced with a copper bowl.
-- I'm down to two passes and some touchup.

The only thing Ive kept from my original routine is my apothecary mug, and ive transitioned to beginning the soap in the apothecary and moving to a face lather.

I usually rotate my razors and brush, but I added blooming the soap and using the water as my pre-shave in my routine now.

I started with VDH brush and soap, and Astra SP blades. After a while I dropped the VDH soap and switched to Proraso.

Now I have upgraded to the B&B Essential boar, use artisan soaps instead of creams, and GSB blades. I also switched to an open comb razor. I still use witch hazel and Nivea post-shave but have added additional balms and splashes.

When I started, I had one razor(EJ 89), one brush(Semogue 1305) and one cream(Proraso Green). I also had about a half dozen different brands of blades.
I now have 7 or 8 razors(I forget what my sons have, and the fact that I probably won't get them back but that is ok). I have 6 different brushes, and please don't make me count all the soap and creams that I have on hand or razor blades as well!
I have only been at this for 2 years, and think that I'm good but; a couple more razors and soaps and I really will be very good.
As far as my routine goes, I started by washing face and holding warm moist wash cloth on face before shave, I no longer do the wash cloth bit.

I started with an Edwin Jagger DE89, Derby blades, Escali brush, Proraso Blue Cream, and various aftershaves. I experimented with different razors, blades, creams, etc...

Now, my main razor is a late-model Tech. I returned to the Derby blades. I've added in Noxzema as a pre-shave. I've mostly settled on Barbasol and Noxzema canned cream, though the other stuff will still come out until I use it up. And I have a drawer full of aftershaves.

Lots of changes. Tobac shaving stick, Gillette yellow for the closest possible shave, and now, only use a synthetic shaving brush. A definite change!!! No irritation and, no weepers or cuts. Once in a while a black beauty for a nostalgic (I think?) shave. But never so close as the Gillette Yellow Russian blades. Just wish the whiskers could grow a little faster???

I started with a Superspeed, some kind of cheap boar brush and Williams................Back in the mid 60s.

I kept at it just replacing the brushes as I wore them out and that suited me well enough until a few years ago when I discovered this site. NOW I have a cabinet full of shaving gear.

In the beginning I had one razor (an Edwin Jagger DE89) and a $10 badger brush. I used shark and feather blades and only used non-artisan products. I was especially fond of Proraso (went through two tubes of the green) and TOBS. My pre-shave was just washing my face and my post-shave was an AS and a balm.

Now I have a whole selection of razors (I favor slants) and a really nice silvertip badger brush. I've also dropped the sharks and favor astras and vaskhods. Though I'll still use the occasional feather. I've also gravitated to being almost artisan exclusive, only using big-name products on occasion. I also use preshave oils and gels and my post-shave is alum followed by an AS. I stopped using balm almost completely.

The one constant has been Thayer's witch hazel.

I started with an EJ 89 and that's still what I use. Started with a VDH boar brush and soap, now I have an Omega boar and Proraso soap. I started with Nivea Sensitive asb, now I use that and Dove.

I've tried many razors including straights and injectors, many soaps and creams, and all manner of brushes boar and badger. I'm pretty close to where I started, just better quality versions.

I'd say the biggest changes I've made is I don't rinse between passes any more and I face lather instead of bowl lathering. Both changes save me time and cleanup.

My first set was a gift from my grandmother, a small mug & brush, a Gillette G1000 & a tuck of Gillette Blades and a puck of Williams. After a few years I picked up and Atra, then Trac II, after a few months returned to the G1000 unhappy with the cartridge. A few years ago, picked up a sensor, that wasn't long before SWMBO inherited that. Bought a Wilkinson Sword 2-piece DE. Around this time I switched from Wilkinson Sword blades to Vijay Stainless as I could not longer find WS blades locally. Last Year, I decided it was time to upgrade after I dropped and shattered my 25 year old shaving mug. I ordered a few different soaps, 6 different blade brands, 6 new razors, 3 new brushes, went through 3 mugs until I found what I really liked. My AS still varies, my razor is from Fendrihan, usually a Alabastron with an Astra SP, current favorite soap is Proraso Red, although I keep a tub of Cella on hand for whenever the mood strikes me. Current brush is an Omega Pro 10049.

Switching to synthetic from badger, after using the same badger vulfix 2234? brush for 7 years straight. Boy was it tired. They say brushes can last a lifetime. I'm not so sure if you use the same one everyday, granted it gave my thousands of shaves and test lathers so it served its purpose.

The other big one was changing from Merkur to Muhle after 11 years on the Merkur bandwagon(long handle and the 34C were the only two).

I justified my switching by giving them to my brother in law to get him into DE shaving. As you can see, I have a hard time not continually using the same thing as long as it's working. Both switches I'm glad I did because I prefer both of the changes.

Over the course of 3 years:
#1 After the initial wonder of daily traditional wetshaving wore off, reverted back to shaving 4-5 times a week like previously done with Cartridges.
#2 narrowing shaving tool choice to shaving with 2 favourite DE razors. Both Rocket HD's
#3 rarely using AS or Alum. I am just that good now and it dry's my skin.
#4 rarely come on shaving forums anymore
#5 rarely buy stuff anymore. Just buy what needs replacing which is rare today.
#6 Am partial to soap verses cream
#7 started as a bowl shaver. Now exclusively facelather with brush.
#8 Use vintage blades 80 % of the time (Spoilers, super stainless, British wilkies) are some of the favourites
#9 Done experimenting. I stick with what I know and like now.
#1 0 don't ever talk to friends or family about wetshaving anymore.

Top Bottom