What's new

New strops - minor cuts near ends; and conditioning thereof.

Good afternoon. I am a newbie and recently bought my first (and only) strop from SRD. A 3" hanging "natural" leather with their premium linen back. During my first couple of shaves, I put a couple minor nicks on the strop near both ends (probably occurred when I flipped the razor to start the new direction). Was thinking that I could sand out the nicks but was wondering what grits I should use. Second question, what is the "best" conditioner to apply to the strop to soften and "break-in" the stop (the natural leather is relatively stiff)? Thank you for all your help! Ed

Sand the nicks out with 400, 600, then 800. Use a very slightly damp cloth to clean the sanded portions to ensure no sandpaper grit is left behind in the leather. Allow time to dry. As for what kind of dressing to use type of leather is important because different leathers like different things. The strops that SRD refer to as "the natural" are vegetable tanned leather which makes dressings easy but also nearly unneeded. Most people over dress their strops. It is very likely that you need nothing except your palm for at least the first year of the strops life. If you feel it needs more than that I would recommend four drops of neatsfoot oil rubbed briskly between your hands and then rub the strop with the palm of one hand. Follow this with a smooth glass bottle. Indoor leather with no exposure to weather and no wear heavier than a straight razor needs very little care. Most of my strops get a little dressing about once a year and some of them have yet to get their first. I do have a split side horse hide that needs a bit of dressing about once every 4 months.

Sand the nicks out with 400, 600, then 800. Use a very slightly damp cloth to clean the sanded portions to ensure no sandpaper grit is left behind in the leather. Allow time to dry. As for what kind of dressing to use type of leather is important because different leathers like different things. The strops that SRD refer to as "the natural" are vegetable tanned leather which makes dressings easy but also nearly unneeded. Most people over dress their strops. It is very likely that you need nothing except your palm for at least the first year of the strops life. If you feel it needs more than that I would recommend four drops of neatsfoot oil rubbed briskly between your hands and then rub the strop with the palm of one hand. Follow this with a smooth glass bottle. Indoor leather with no exposure to weather and no wear heavier than a straight razor needs very little care. Most of my strops get a little dressing about once a year and some of them have yet to get their first. I do have a split side horse hide that needs a bit of dressing about once every 4 months.

Thank you Brian! You were very helpful!! Ed

Top Bottom