What's new

How/Where to began drinking whiskey

Try as I might I can't bring myself to drink it neat. I've Jameson, Evan Williams, and Southern Comfort and Bulliet Rye.

There's an overwhelming urge to spit it out as soon as it hits my taste buds, Bulliet Rye being the only exception but I've only taken a swig or two of it.

I guess I'm asking for a recommendation on a good starter whiskey and/or a technique to work up to drinking it neat

(e.i. Changing mixes where the ratio of whiskey/mixer slowly changes, etc)

Also what whiskey mixed drink do you prefer?

Try putting a small amount of water in your whisky. Takes the edge off the fieriness and brings out the flavour. A few drops ofwater can make all the difference!

Gareth

Without sounding overly high brow, I'd say that "most" of what you've tried drinking neat may not necessarily be up to that level of tasting. It's been so long since I've tried Jameson that I can't remember what it even tasted like. I've never really considered Southern Comfort a "Sipping Whiskey" but who am I to judge? By "neat" I'm assuming you mean straight with no ice and no water. If that is the case, maybe you should try a cube of ice or just a dash of water.

What I drink neat are single malt scotches, Dalwhinnie being probably my favorite followed by Oban, just about any of the MacAllans, and Caol Ile.

For American whiskeys I like Jack Daniel's Single Cask and Gentleman Jack neat. As for the bourbons, Angel's Envy Bourbon and a bourbon that my dad liked, I.W. Harper are what I'm drinking right now. I'm just now really starting my bourbon journey, so I'm sure there will be others.

For mixing, I'm partial to George Dickel Rye. It makes a really nice Old Fashioned.

Having said all of this, you may not like whiskey neat and there's nothing wrong with that. Drink what you enjoy and how you enjoy it and don't regret a moment of that enjoyment.

Rusty Nail or one of it's analogs Wiki Reference Here.

But that's my take on a great first whisky concoction. And ya, all forms of world whisky(ies) are acquired tastes... the big thing to remember when starting out: a wee bit'o water can bloom the flavors... a little ice can mask the burn... but you'll know the spirit best by taking Her into you pure and slow.

I like a Manhattan as a whiskey cocktail.

For neat, I drink single malt; my preference being Glenmorangie. One small ice cube about a half inch cube, in a 1.5 - 2 oz serving adds just enough water.

For the budget stuff, Even Williams black label is fine neat. Not so sure about Jameson, but I don't drink a lot of Irish Whiskey. For Bourbon, you cant go too wrong if you get a 750mL size bottle in the $20-30 range. Thats going to generally be your Buffalo Trace, Bulliet, Wild Turkey, Evan Williams single barrel, Elijah Craig, Knob Creek etc. There are some good bargain ones in the $15 range, but probably not the best for a beginner (Evan Williams White label comes to mind).

Usually with Bourbon, I'll pour it over ice cubes. Thats probably a good place to start with any whiskey. In the beginning, I hated the taste of Bourbon. That intense oak combined with a palate not used to the alcohol burn was not good. I bought a bottle of Highland Park 12 yr, and it was downhill from there. After my palate learned to adjust to the alcohol burn, scotches started tasting sweet.

It also goes without saying...but no shooting. It will always burn when you shoot it.

Look around for a whiskey club or high end liquor store that does tastings. We went to one Friday night that was $10 and had 6 liquors. 3 tequilas and 3 whiskeys. Or look around for craft distilleries and do a few tastings.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about drinking it neat. I love Irish whiskey and Japanese whisky, but very rarely neat. A little water (no more than half-and-half) and no ice will bring out the best of the flavours and kill any burn. Scotch is a bit rough for me, can't speak for North American brands.

it's also worth spending a bit more for a premium blend, eg the 12 year old Jameson as opposed to the standard offering. They tend to be smoother and more complex and will help you develop your pallette.

The Yamazaki 12 year old is outstanding, but the price has gone through the roof recently.

A little water and ice will help. You need something to dilute the straight alcohol. Try some pure alcohol cocktails like an Old Fashioned or Manhattan. The other ingredients knock some of the edge off the alcohol and add some taste, but leave you pretty much sipping without a lot of additives.

Try as I might I can't bring myself to drink it neat.

There's an overwhelming urge to spit it out as soon as it hits my taste buds, Bulliet Rye being the only exception but I've only taken a swig or two of it.

Maybe you're doing it wrong. My dictionary defines "swig" as "a large gulp." Slow down. Small sips. Check our whisky reviews by ralfy on YouTube for how to refine your tasting technique.

Also, the advice already given to add a little water is sound advice.

Cheers!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Find a mellow lowland scotch. Auchentoshan (did I spell it correctly?? It's pronounced "OKK-en-TOSH-en") comes to mind. Anyhow, dilute it with as much water as you need to make it agreeable, and lessen the water slightly every time. You should, always, have a bit of water added to "open up" the whisky.

For the budget stuff, Even Williams black label is fine neat. Not so sure about Jameson, but I don't drink a lot of Irish Whiskey. For Bourbon, you cant go too wrong if you get a 750mL size bottle in the $20-30 range. Thats going to generally be your Buffalo Trace, Bulliet, Wild Turkey, Evan Williams single barrel, Elijah Craig, Knob Creek etc. There are some good bargain ones in the $15 range, but probably not the best for a beginner (Evan Williams White label comes to mind).

Usually with Bourbon, I'll pour it over ice cubes. Thats probably a good place to start with any whiskey. In the beginning, I hated the taste of Bourbon. That intense oak combined with a palate not used to the alcohol burn was not good. I bought a bottle of Highland Park 12 yr, and it was downhill from there. After my palate learned to adjust to the alcohol burn, scotches started tasting sweet.

It also goes without saying...but no shooting. It will always burn when you shoot it.

The Evan Williams Black Label is good, but try the Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch neat. It's even better to me neat.

To the OP, I've usually enjoyed my bourbon over ice for years, and just recently (last 3-4 years or so) started to drink it neat on occasion, usually when trying something new or comparing to my standbys. Don't force yourself to drink it neat if it means it's not enjoyable. That defeats the purpose.

Cheers!

Last edited:
It's possible that you just don't like whiskey. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm not sure where you are coming from in regards to drinking, so it'd be tough to give you a great starting point.

If you're looking for a whiskey forward cocktail, my favorite is the Sazarac. However, it's hard to find a place that makes them well unless you're in New Orleans. After that, a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned, in that order for me. I find a lot of restaurants tend to make them really sweet though, but it's a good start.

Of course, another option is to go for a "mixer". I started with either Crown or Jack and cokes. Easy to do, and you can adjust the ratio however you'd like. I actually prefer using ginger ale to coke, as I feel it compliments better.

But, if you want to stick with "just" whiskey, the suggestions for water and ice are spot on. When I try a new whiskey, I tend to start with sipping it neat. If it's not to my liking, I'll add a splash of water. And if that doesnt work, I'll add a cube or 2 of ice. Find what you enjoy, and don't worry about what others are doing. Cheers.

For neat whiskey I would suggest something on the lighter side. Makers 46, Basil Hayden's, Michter's Small Batch, Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel, Jim Beam Single Barrel, Blantons, George Dickel 8 yr, Woodford Reserve. Something with more vanilla, caramel and spice.

I honestly never drink anything neat and I drink whiskey as my primary beverage at home and out at bars. I usually just throw a big cube or ice ball in there. Tivolo makes some great ice molds and trays for that exact purpose.

Water, ice, club soda. You can dilute as necessary, and then wean yourself off of these as your pallet comes around.

At least that's what I did with stuff like Crown Royal, Dewars, etc.

Small sips for sure!

Top Bottom