What's new

Vintage pens: Do you purchase to use or to collect?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I've been purchasing quite a few vintage pens the past few months, and I've noticed that pretty much all of my purchases have been fueled by function, rather than form. I've found that I'd rather purchase a functional pen that I'd use regularly with a cosmetic defect and save $100, opposed to buying a pen in pristine condition just to add to my "collection."

Just for the sake of curiosity, do the rest of you base your purchases on trying to get a good collector's example, or base you purchases on solely getting a good pen for a good price?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Both. Just keep in mind that condition is everything. You can get a beat-up, scratched, brassed, and discolored vintage pen to use but why not find a nicer one that you'll be proud of while using. You'll pay more but you get so much more in my opinion. Always shoot for the absolute best condition you can afford.

That said, I do have a vintage Pelikan 400 that I picked up for about 36 Euros with the wrong cap and looks pretty worn but the nib is like heaven. It'll never look very good in a collection but gets used a lot.

Was going to say my favorite pen is a franken penned Pelikan 140. Nib doesn't match the body for dates, the cap has an engraved name in german, tons of brassing and the celluloid isn't that fancy but it is a factory OM nib and I just love writing with it. Next in line is a KM on another 140 but I think I spent less than what I have in frankenpen... The KM is an all black 140 and they don't seem to command the dollar that the celluloid ones do.

Now the 140 in F is nearly immaculate but I never use it. Don't like the nib!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My meager collection is mainly for use, I can't really afford top dollar examples just for the collection. Like when I started collecting razors, I wanted to sample a bit of everything that was being discussed to learn more about fountain pens in general. My most expensive pen to date is a Parker P51 Flighter. I've switched to new production pens now, knowing a bit more of what appeals to me and wanting a nicer pen that doesn't need to be restored. I have yet to break the $100.00 price barrier for a new production pen, but I'm about to do that in the near future.

I always buy them intending to write with them, but after I've done so, not all of them make it into the regular rotation. Some might end up never being used again, or at least waiting for years. If I did not enjoy having them as a collection, then I suppose the logical thing to do would be to sell them.

But I hate selling, and I do enjoy the collecting aspect. I don't insist on mint condition, a little brassing and a few not too obvious scratches are fine. These are used pens, after all, and it's interesting to think about the people who may have written with them before. Just as long as they still look good to me, and exemplify some aspect of fountain pen history, I like having them around.

I never thought I would start buying vintage pens until I went to my first pen show and it just connected with me. I am definitely in the "buy to use" mode at the current time, although I reserve the right to change in the future! I think its neat that I can still use something daily while at work that was made 70 years ago.

If I buy it I use it. None of my pens were purchased to look good in a display case. That said, I like having a good looking / interesting pen in my pocket.

Both, The same with my razors and guns. If I cannot use the item, I don't want it. I do not find mere possession of an object enjoyable.

I always buy them intending to write with them, but after I've done so, not all of them make it into the regular rotation. Some might end up never being used again, or at least waiting for years. If I did not enjoy having them as a collection, then I suppose the logical thing to do would be to sell them.

But I hate selling, and I do enjoy the collecting aspect. I don't insist on mint condition, a little brassing and a few not too obvious scratches are fine. These are used pens, after all, and it's interesting to think about the people who may have written with them before. Just as long as they still look good to me, and exemplify some aspect of fountain pen history, I like having them around.
Yep, same here! :thumbup1:

Both, I have a couple of nice Esterbrooks that are in regular use, along with a late 1980's Sheaffer.

Just starting a foray into fountain pens.

I'm both a collector and user of fountain pens. All my pens in my collection are used at some point. I prefer my vintage Esterbrooks, the resin swirls are all different and personally very stately. The ability to interchange nibs is a bonus.

I normal keep 18-20 pens inked at a time, they are usually a mixture of both vintage and modern pens.

You can not go wrong in adding Esterbrooks, they are workhorses.

Use them all. I rotate them through on a regular basis...wish I could say the same for the 34 bottles of ink I have amassed.... There are several that I will never get to .....:blushing:

Last edited:
I enjoy a combination of new/current production pens (whether I bought new or previously owned) and vintage. All get used. Some more than others. The only pens I have that don't get at least occasional use? A couple of Parker IM's. Mine have a tendency to dry out easily. Parker - mostly vintage/semi-vintage - 45's and a 51 Special<br>Esterbrook - J series pens (I have J, LJ, SJ - one of each and a second J en route)So while I use my pens, there is a bit of collecting going on too.

USE!!!! What good is having an old Corvette in the garage if you aren't going to take it around the block a couple of times?

strop

Now half as wise
I use all the pens I own. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with collecting high end pens for collecting sake, especially some of the limited edition pens. For the collector, there is great value in uninked pens. The guys that collect for collecting sake probably aren't going to frequent forums mostly dedicated to writing!
The are guys that collect high end guns, knives, etc. none of which get used, because they are collected as art, just like the pens.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Once I get a few nicer new pens and learn more what to expect out of a nice fountain pen, beyond the typical beginner to intermediate pen options, I'm sure that I will venture back into the vintage market and make more informed choices beyond "Ohh..that looks nice!" And it (they) will be to use as well.

Top Bottom