What's new

What Do You Use For Home Defense?

Having had a lot of training in martial arts, self defense, etc. and living in a country where a firearm for defense is not an option, I'd say a field hockey stick would be my go-to, long before a baseball bat. The lighter weight makes it faster, but the thin edge gives it more impact force per square inch, which is what counts when whacking someone. The hooked end can also be used for grappling and controlling the bad guy.

Also, there is zero chance of missing a shot and accidentally killing your neighbor, children, a passerby, through a wall.

Personally, I also keep a Nepalese Kukri by the bed, but I really don't fancy the idea of explaining that one to the authorities should I ever be unlucky enough to need it. A field hockey stick, like a bat if you are in the USA, is pretty easy to legitimize.

I thought Australia issued firearm permits to individuals. Is this incorrect?

Legion

Staff member
I thought Australia issued firearm permits to individuals. Is this incorrect?

You can, if you are prepared for the expense, own a firearm. Not many types, but some. However, you can't carry one, and if it is at home it needs to be permanently lock in a gun safe. Those two things make it pretty useless for defense. And if you did manage to get to it in time, and shot the armed baddie who was in your home, expect to be bankrupted buy the legal fees it would take to get you off the charges.

Nobody builds up a resistance to being hit in the face with a .38 either.

This Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel .38 Special is kept at bedside.

A handy long gun is also kept on hand. The AR 15 and shotgun are stowed away in the safe in favor of this Winchester Model 1907 chambered for the .351 Winchester. Rifle and cartridge are both obsolete but still hard to improve upon for home defense around here.

currently RIA full size GI 1911 .45ACP, in my fathers bedroom. in my bedside stand is a rossi m677 loaded with .38spl hollow points. eventually we will be getting an AR-15 and an M1 garand.

A handy long gun is also kept on hand. The AR 15 and shotgun are stowed away in the safe in favor of this Winchester Model 1907 chambered for the .351 Winchester. Rifle and cartridge are both obsolete but still hard to improve upon for home defense around here.

Nice! Home defense with style.

We picked up a 1910 with boxes and boxes of NOS ammo. Hard to say which was the rarest.

The person who purchased the rifle did not want the ammo.. The 401 Winchester self loader ammo brought about what the rifle did to give you an idea of how obscure the early Winchester self loading ammo is.

Rifle was made in 1917 and the orange boxes were dated 1917 so were more than likely bought when the rifle was originally sold..

proxy.php

proxy.php

Be cautious when using long arms, and always remember that some of those larger calibers can and will go right through several walls. Even if your lawfully justified in discharging the weapon, you WILL be held responsible for every round fired, and what it hits. If your using a shottie, consider switching to a lighter load of buckshot like #4. Its still plenty lethal, but does not have the same penetrating effect that a .32 ball of 00 buck. AFAIK, this is still the load used by Embassy Marines unless they changed it up in the last few years.

Be cautious when using long arms, and always remember that some of those larger calibers can and will go right through several walls.

When Frank Hamer put together his "posse" to track down Bonnie and Clyde, the two rifles he chose for his men were BAR with armor piercing ammo and Winchester 1910 (401 cal semi auto). They found that the 401 rounds went completely through both sides of the car body as well as the ocupents. The 30-06 armor piercing rounds went completely through the V8 engine block.

401 Winchester would go through 4 or more homes before coming to a rest somewhere.

Rifles are for taking game at 200+ yards, not for discharging at 10 feet or less.

Never discharge a firearm with a more powerful cartridge than will stay within the room it is discharged in.

Back in the "olden days" there were what was known as "parlor rifles". These rifles and pistols were mostly kept in bars for the patrons to shoot while consuming their drinks. Yea ideas and thoughts have changed over the centuries but these rifles where designed to be shot indoors in crowded rooms and not be "too dangerous" to the occupants.

proxy.php

Different kinds of living arrangements, different kinds of defense. In the suburbs a centerfire rifle may not be a good choice, but in the countryside, a handy rifle may be a very practical weapon if there are no neighbors close by, and you need something for four legged interlopers as well as the two legged kind. I don't think either of the gents talking about their beautiful Winchesters intend to use those guns for defense inside their homes.

The most simple method I have seen was a note hastily written in Sharpie on a legal pad size piece of paper attached to a friend's door that read, "Matt, your damn rattlesnakes are loose in the house again. Please have them caught before I get home! Love Mom". They said the replaced it weekly to keep it fresh.

That just breaks me up.

My wife and I reside in pretty safe neighborhood. Though not a gated neighborhood, it lies within a cul-de-sac. Nevertheless, I keep two handguns in a small safe on my dresser, which has a simple mechanical, combination lock and a door that springs open for access. I rotate these guns periodically and keep in the bedroom safe the handguns I last fired at the range. Any handgun I keep in the bedroom safe for home defense has a caliber that starts with four. Right now, I have a Sig Sauer 245, which is .45 ACP, and a S&W revolver in .44. My wife, a decent shot, keeps a .38 snubnose in the bedroom as well. All other firearms are locked in a safe. The best firearm for home defense is a 12 ga. shotgun, but i can't keep that unlocked and readily available, since I have grandkids and their friends who frequently visit.

This handgun has been in production for over 100 years (introduced in 1899) and in that time, has changed remarkably little. With it, you DO have 7 rounds. Six are chambered and then you can zip the empty gun at an attacker's head. A good aim with the arm is almost as good as a well placed shot. Love mine.

I'd love to "like" turtle's post with the Winchester Model 1910 and ammunition. I'd love to have a Winchester Model 1910 .401.

Hi Kent Kemmons. I still think the Model 10 is an excellent gun. I once had an really early one with a 9XX serial number. It was the "Model of 1899". Wish I'd kept it. Still have one from 1904.

I'd love to "like" turtle's post with the Winchester Model 1910 and ammunition. I'd love to have a Winchester Model 1910 .401.

Hi Kent Kemmons. I still think the Model 10 is an excellent gun. I once had an really early one with a 9XX serial number. It was the "Model of 1899". Wish I'd kept it. Still have one from 1904.

My victory model shoots VERY well.

Top Bottom