What's new

GD 66 restore. Black Walnut scales w? Maple wedge

Here is a GD project that I started in July, I think. It's a plain and simple GD 66 for 5 1/2 bucks shipped from China that has been gone over a bit.
I did some mild grinding at the where the shoulder meets the spine. There was some pitting from the manufacturing process. I cleaned up some line here and there. Over all, I did not perform a lot of mods on the blade. I mostly just broke down the blade and gave it a good sanding followed by a polish.
I have been tinkering on this blade and I thought I should get in gear and builds some scales for it. So, I did.
I used walnut and maple that has been harvested by my father from my uncles back yard. I have a generous 3" thick slab. it's enough to make a stout coffee table with.
I am pleased how the walnut's grain just shows through. It's pretty spectacular in the real.
I had intended to finish this and put it up for sale for 40$. But, I think I will keep this one.
I will hone it tomorrow and take it for a spin around the chin.

$PART_1452298640146_20160108_161348.jpg$PART_1452298637949_20160108_161328.jpg$PART_1452298610193_20160108_161430.jpg

Wood came from your family and cut off their land. I think keeping it is a good idea. Memories are worth more than money.

I finished the blade completely today and took it for a spin around the chin. Pretty smooth and clean shave, it was.
I spent a whole lot of hours on this, including building a second set of scales for it. I have to say. It was worth the effort.

Glad to hear it all went well after all your work.
But even if it had not gone well it's still time well spent getting lost in being creative, learning, trying and building something with your own two hands and getting to use it. That's a great experience.

Mark, yes indeed. I cut the blanks out for the scales and buit it up, as, you see.
I tore down the gd66 and built it back up. Still not perfect, but it is a good solid razor that I can enjoy using. It gave a very smooth shave after I finished it up on laping film. thank you for all the help and advice

Top Bottom