What's new

What's Cooking 2016

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Leftover Lamb Shoulder Roast, what's a man to do? Well I have been wanting to make a Shepherds pie from some left of lamb roast for some time and Stephens (MrSpeedy) one above sealed the deal.
FWIW here in NZ a Shepherds pie must have lamb, if it has beef it's a cottage pie.

sautéed onion, carrot and celery with some garlic till veggies are soft. Added about 75ml red wine and some thyme cooked for a few minutes.
Then in with some Tomato Sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, shredded lamb and chicken stock. Cooked till reduced.
In to the dish topped with the mashed potato and some cheddar plus parmesan cheese.

It tasted better than it looks.

$20160105_182911.jpg

Salmon baked with a sriracha honey glaze, broccoli sauteed with sesame oil and a hint of sriracha, rosemary roll. Tasty, quick, easy.
$IMG_1040.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'll share my recipe here. Keep in mind that my measurements are approximate - I eyeball some of the ingredients:
12 oz - salt pork, chopped
3 Tbsp - butter
1/2 cup (approx.) - flour
4 cups - milk
8 oz - clam juice (preferably Bar Harbor brand for authenticity)
1.5-2 cups - chopped Quahogs or Cherrystones
4 - med. white potatoes, peeled and cubed (approx. 2 cups)
1 - med. onion, finely chopped
2 tsp (approx) - fresh ground pepper
2 tsp parsley

Cook the salt pork with the butter until the pieces are crispy and all the fat has been rendered out. Set the pork pieces aside and strain the fat through a coffee filter or paper towel. Pour the clarified fat into a large stockpot on low heat and add the flour a little at a time until you have a roux about the consistency of sour cream. Stir in the parsley and clam juice until well incorporated. In a separate pan, scald the milk and then add it to the large pot. Then add the pork, clams, potatoes, onions and pepper. Cover and heat on low until the potatoes are soft. At this point, it's done and ready to eat. Sometimes it's even better after it's sat in the fridge overnight and re-heated the next day. The most important thing with chowder is DO NOT LET IT BOIL! A little bubbling is ok as long as you stir it and keep the bottom from sticking, but a boil will almost certainly ruin it.
I like mine chunky and hearty, but feel free to tweak the milk quantity a little bit if you like. Good luck!

Thanks- I have saved it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I do have a question- what is meant by "scald the milk"? To me, that sounds like burning.

Just a fancy way of saying heat it up just until it starts to get bubbly and foamy on top. I suppose you could pour it in cold, it'll just take longer.

Brioche French Toast with toasted nuts, caramelized bananas, cheesecake yogurt creme concoction (or whatever my wife called it) and a side of sausage.

Breakfast for supper:
proxy.php

Some may call it chilli, others wouldn't. I called it very tasty.
I discovered no onions or chillies/chilli powder in the house, so winged it.

2 lbs of ground beef, browned
5 cloves garlic, sautéed with
Chipotle powder.
No salt Southwest seasoning
Red pepper flakes
Dried onion flakes.

Can crushed tomatoes.
A little cocoa powder.
Set in slow cooker and the missus finished it off with adding a little molasses, can of corn and can of black beans

Served over rice and delicious.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I made beans and hocks. Just 2 lbs of pinto beans, two ham hocks, salt and pepper, and water in the crock pot (pies he'd it to the limit size wise). Once cooked, shred up the hocks. It looks plain, but I love the taste. Here it is before I committed what some may consider an atrocity- I added ketchup.
$image.jpg

Last edited:
I tried using up some pulled pork and went for a variation on the Tipsy Texan...

Rita waiting for potatoes:
proxy.php

Ingredients laid out:
proxy.php

Ready to assemble:
proxy.php

Plated:
proxy.php

After a few bites:
proxy.php

Last edited:
[MENTION=36529]oc_in_fw[/MENTION] Owen - looks great. I love a big pile of beans
[MENTION=36370]brucered[/MENTION] As always, Bruce, you're hitting the home runs

Top Bottom