What's new

Alden Chukas

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So I just reserved a 11 EE Color 8 cordovan Alden Chuka. I have an 11 1/2 E that I had bought some time ago. Great shoes, but they are a tad long, and over time they make my feet a bit tired. I was able to reserve a spot on Alden of Carmel's list for a 11EE. It is going to be a long five months.

I too am hard to fit, I have an 11 A or B. But with Alden's it's always worth the wait. I find some on Ebay that are like new, from as far back as the 1980, that must have been found on estate sales after sitting in a closet for years. New old stock or factory seconds work.
Just keep looking. The other brand that's worth looking for is L.B. Shepards from the Hanover Shoe Company. They left the quality shoe business many years ago.

Anyone else have tips on finding Aldens or other brands in the same category?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
it is a bit mind boggling that you cannot just order a special sizing from them, with an expected wait. So I had a lengthy conversation with a SA that I placed the order with. They way she described it was that she basically requests a few models/styles for production runs and then has to be approved by Alden for the request. Once there is approval, then special sizes can be made.

As it is, I have two other pairs of Aldens pending approval via Carmel. Hopefully they will be approved, as one pair is something that is stunning IMHO. Still waiting for Cigar Shell Chukkas to be approved one day.

11.5e on what last?
So I just reserved a 11 EE Color 8 cordovan Alden Chuka. I have an 11 1/2 E that I had bought some time ago. Great shoes, but they are a tad long, and over time they make my feet a bit tired. I was able to reserve a spot on Alden of Carmel's list for a 11EE. It is going to be a long five months.

This is exactly why I own only one pair of Aldens and several pairs each of Allen Edmonds and Churches. Aldens in wide are rare and hard to find in addition they have quirky sizing on some lasts. AE and Churches offer almost all models in EEE or G fittings and I know that they will fit like a glove. The last $700 Aldens I tried did not fit at all well and I had to return them. Well made shoes, excellent quality leather but just not worth the hassle for me. If you're lucky enough to have "standard" sized feet and can buy from a local store where there's a selection then that's great.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
This is exactly why I own only one pair of Aldens and several pairs each of Allen Edmonds and Churches. Aldens in wide are rare and hard to find in addition they have quirky sizing on some lasts. AE and Churches offer almost all models in EEE or G fittings and I know that they will fit like a glove. The last $700 Aldens I tried did not fit at all well and I had to return them. Well made shoes, excellent quality leather but just not worth the hassle for me. If you're lucky enough to have "standard" sized feet and can buy from a local store where there's a selection then that's great.

I wish I could wear AE shoes. The McTavish 11 EEE I had bought were way too narrow in the toes and rubbed me the wrong way. The one thing I do like, but have no idea how to do this, is that Alden will make various styles in a last different lasts. I asked AE if they would be willing to do this. I was told they are not. Many of the "popular" AE shoes seem to be on the same last, which is too narrow in the toe box.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I wish I could wear AE shoes. The McTavish 11 EEE I had bought were way too narrow in the toes and rubbed me the wrong way. The one thing I do like, but have no idea how to do this, is that Alden will make various styles in a last different lasts. I asked AE if they would be willing to do this. I was told they are not. Many of the "popular" AE shoes seem to be on the same last, which is too narrow in the toe box.

AE has a listing with their lasts and shoe models made on this last on their website, they describe the properties of the last.
I try to find shoes with a wider, less tapered toe box, so I always look at the lasts when I see a shoe I like.
Good thing for me is that I was about eight times last year in the Port Washington area on business, and as it looks, I might be also quite often there this year.....
Looks like lately the trend is going to a more longer and less wider shoe. I even see this for several of the English makers that they offer less wide shoes than they used to.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
AE has a listing with their lasts and shoe models made on this last on their website, they describe the properties of the last.
I try to find shoes with a wider, less tapered toe box, so I always look at the lasts when I see a shoe I like.
Good thing for me is that I was about eight times last year in the Port Washington area on business, and as it looks, I might be also quite often there this year.....
Looks like lately the trend is going to a more longer and less wider shoe. I even see this for several of the English makers that they offer less wide shoes than they used to.

I was told by the AE rep that I should stick with the 201 last. Sadly, the only shoe that interested me in that last is the Bartlett. It seems that it would be a special order regardless.

I am at the end of 12 weeks waiting for a Nicks boot. don't have the energy to wait 5 months. my first shoe purchase was an Alden indy and I bought it with wrong sizing just because I had to have an Alden. learning a great deal since then. sizing first always. your chukka will be outstanding. enjoy

Top Bottom