What's new

Cut my TM Fast Bridal Strop

Long story short, I was not paying attention today and cut the h### out of my pristine fast bridal today and not sure how to address it, can feel it with the razor going over it so was thinking maybe hitting it with 200,400 and 600 paper but after that not sure what to put on it to recondition, so what say the strop experts ?

I am working the next few nights so cant get a picture but the cut is about 2" long and goes into the strop maybe a 1/16" or more and part of the cut is missing leather so there is a low spot so I am thinking I am going to have to sand it down until it's gone, it's fixable I think but it's not going to look as pretty as it did.

Oh my,,, Sorry to hear that. Yes by all means we need pictures. Latigo is easy, you just sand the thing down till it is smooth again, but bridal can be more difficult. Depending on the nature of the cut sometimes you can glue the flap down with ca. If part of the flap is missing you might be better to trim the flap away and then sand the edges of the cut and retouch the dye with a dye pen.

Well woke up alittle early before going in on the back shift today and looked at the strop again and figured WTH, so I took after it with some light laps on 400 Gator paperand then used a warm damp micro fiber to wipe it down, it honestly does look that bad now and I figure I can hit it with some 600 tomorrow then recondition with a heavy coat of vintage Williams soap and then let dry and buff out with a glass jar.

You can still see part of the cut but I honestly can't feel it now, I am sure the draw will be different but seeing that cut will be a constant reminder to pay attention.

$FullSizeRender.jpg

Nice job! It bounced back well!

Well hopefully, I came home from working the back shift and hit it with some 600 Gator paper and then wiped it clean like I did on the 400 pictured above then whipped up a heavy thick bowl full of vintage Williams and covered the top and will let dry then wipe off the excess then buff with a glass jar.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Nice job on the fix ! The leather I use does sand out rather well. Technically it is sort of a cross between latigo and bridle as the wax/oil goes deep as on latigo but it feels more like a bridle leather.

Had to tell it was even cut. Well done.

Well Gentlemen, had coated it with vintage Williams shave soap after I went over it with the 600 paper and let it dry then buffed it with a microfiber towel after I rubbed off the excess soap with hand then proceeded to hand rub for several minutes until it softened up then used a glass jar to smooth any bump.

I did lose some color in sanding and the draw has changed alot, went from a glassy fast draw to a medium almost magnetic draw, I knew the draw would be affected and I will surly live with that over the cut, maybe as I use it the draw will get lighter ? For those just getting into straight shaving please pay attention while stropping, I have been doing it for over a year and still managed to cut my beautiful strop.

$IMG_4113.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom