What's new

Help me decide which Seiko to go with

I am thinking of the following two choices for a second Seiko dress watch for work -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=AT0ELBHCI226N

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=AT0ELBHCI226N

My current "go to" watch for work is a Seiko Cocktail Time watch. Of the two I am currently interested in I am drawn to the gold accents of the SGEH14P1. But, am I crazy for choosing the Hardlex cased watch over the Sapphire cased watch for essentially the same price just for aesthetic reasons? Am I correct in thinking that the quality of the movement is roughly the same?

Also, I am not averse to getting another Seiko automatic watch, like the Cocktail Time, but I am not sure Seiko makes any in the same price range as the two listed above. If anyone is aware of a similarly styled Seiko automatic that is not double the price of the SGEH14P1 or the SGEG99 I would appreciate your suggestions.

Tim

I have not had good luck with the hardlex crystal on Seiko watches. I have had three and they all scratched quickly. The other crystal works somewhat better for me, but as always, YMMV!

Actually, in scouting around a little more I came across the following -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1CNTNJGSL3PCZ

This one is particularly nice because although it is not as dressy as the other two, it does have a black face which I am partial to. It also sports the stainless steel case and sapphire crystal and has a more "rugged" appearance such that I could wear it on weekends as my kick around watch.

Does anyone have personal experience with this particular model of Seiko watch. If so, I would be curious to hear what your personal experience with it has been.

Tim

What he said. If you won't (or can't, like me) pay for solid gold it's never a good idea to get plated.

I completely agree. And, for some reason my personal preference is to not go with Roman Numerals. But that's just a matter of style. I think it tends to make the watch look less valuable. But I'm sure somebody could find a very expensive watch with them. Ha.

I was definitely convinced by the comments above to stick with stainless steel. I also kinda agreed that perhaps the Roman numerals makes the watch look a little cheap. So, I went with the Seiko SNQ123P1 Coutura perpetual calendar, stainless steel watch with the sapphire crystal -

$616lSZAjZqL._UY879_.jpg

I think this is going to provide the most versatility for me. It should be dressy enough to wear to work when I want a black-faced watch to pair with a darker sport jacket/shirt/tie combo, but also looks sporty/rugged enough to just wear around town on the weekends. For me the big plus is the sapphire crystal which should withstand most insults that would likely scratch a lesser material. Better still, I found it online for $125 shipped :thumbup:.

Tim

Nice choice. I'm not a fan of Roman numerals on timepieces. The fact that they don't use the IV bugs me. So as long as it only has the quarter numerals, I'm ok.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Nice choice. I'm not a fan of Roman numerals on timepieces. The fact that they don't use the IV bugs me. So as long as it only has the quarter numerals, I'm ok.

The 'classic' Seiko face doesn't have numerals or numbers, but rectangular bars, with a double bar at '12'. (Or dots in the divers, with dashes at 3-6-9 and a triangle at 12.) It's a nice look.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The 'classic' Seiko face doesn't have numerals or numbers, but rectangular bars, with a double bar at '12'. (Or dots in the divers, with dashes at 3-6-9 and a triangle at 12.) It's a nice look.

Voila:

proxy.php

proxy.php

My Seiko Coutura arrived the other day, and although it does not adhere to the 'classic' design of no numbers, I am very pleased with the overall appearance and "fit-n-finish" of this watch.

Here are some pictures -

$Seiko Coutura 1.jpg

What I particularly like about the look of the watch face is the spear-like shape of the hands -

$Seiko Coutura 2.jpg

Another nice feature that tones down the dressiness of the watch is the portion of the wrist and that is brushed rather than shiny stainless steel -

$Seiko Coutura 3.jpg

All-in-all, this is exactly what I was looking for as a weekend counterpoint to my office/work watch, which is a Seiko "Cocktail Time" automatic. And, with a sapphire crystal you can't beat the price of $125 shipped for the Coutura.

Tim

Top Bottom