What's new

Is Wet Shaving Saving YOU Money?

Consider the money you spend on wet shaving. I ....

• Saved a considerable amount (i.e., I'm frugal)

• Saved a little but nothing of substance (e.g., lunch money)

• Saved nothing. Its a wash ...

• Spent more than I should but its not a hobby.

• Spent Hobby levels of money relative to my income

Results are only viewable after voting.
Considering the money you have spent on Wet Shaving, in your opinion, have you:

1. Saved a considerable amount over the years (i.e., I’m frugal and this is part of being frugal)
2. Saved some money but nothing of true substance – pocket change
3. It’s a wash.
4. Yes, I’ve spent more than I should, but not significant amounts
5. It’s a hobby and I spend hobby level money on it relative to my income level.

Background

This post, #19 , http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/474861-The-all-inclusive-list-of-shaving-myths?p=7838489#post7838489 proposes that the fact of Traditional Wet Shaving, is cheaper than alternatives. On a purely mathematical basis I believe that 100% true. The initial sunk costs on hardware (e.g., brush, DE razor) and consumable costs for software (e.g., soap/cream), is more than made up for by the consumable costs of razor blades vs cartridges over years, especially if you buy cheap hardware. I’m not sure this holds up with electric razors but lets set that aside.

However, the post also indicates that what in fact happens is that more money is spent for consumables than necessary resulting in greater costs for wet shavers.

By observing this forum, and the wet shaving consumer virtual world at large, what was a mundane, every day task has been glorified and raised to the level of hobby by many people. And it’s far worse than just consumables such as hoarding shaving creams/soaps, but moves into collecting hardware such as old razors.Worse yet, its not just collecting antiques which might rise in value but the collecting of modern brushes, which its doubtful one will see a rise in value in ones lifetime.

I have no issue with that at all. A hobby is a hobby and one should spend disposable income anyway you feel fit. Rather, I’m trying to get a feel, at least within this subset of consumers, of how many people truly use wet shaving to save money vs those that go to the opposite extreme spending hobby levels of money on what the vast majority of the public might consider a rather mundane, everyday task.

Hobby level money means when you have some disposable income, you put Wet Shaving products in your queue of how you spend your disposable income based upon YOUR level of priorities for your hobbies. For example, if you like playing golf and wet shaving, you might set aside money first from some new golf balls, and second for some new soap you want to try although you already have soap in the house. OTH, if this is NOT a hobby, then you buy a new soap when you need it and you buy something that a reasonable person would consider reasonably priced and readily available.

Last edited:
I don't save anything really, but I gain, and that's good. I gain in the sense that a chore isn't so much a chore anymore, and I gain because the quality of shave is way better and skin 'issues' that cart's gave me don't happen now. That's worth a little extra indeed!

I don't save anything really, but I gain, and that's good. I gain in the sense that a chore isn't so much a chore anymore, and I gain because the quality of shave is way better and skin 'issues' that cart's gave me don't happen now. That's worth a little extra indeed!

Completely agreed

I don't spend much anymore. But I shudder to try and calculate what I've spent since starting this a little over a year ago.
Funniest part I've found is that I literally have enough hardware and software to last 3 people a lifetime plus more, and I still buy more stuff. ... hmm.

Of course I am saving money! I just needed to use the same math SWMBO uses when she saves money buying things on sale.

Ruckin.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
With the exception of 3 soaps I bought earlier this year, the only money I've spent on shaving in the last 4 years has been one LE brush. All the rest of the money I spent on shaving has been for the Sue Moore Auction and Soap for Hope, which is charity donations, not shave addiction. So, yes, I have saved money on shaving.

EDIT: I forgot I just ordered a Feather SS and 2 packs of blades. So, I have spent money in the last 4 years. It all averages out to about $25 a year.

Last edited:
Rather, I’m trying to get a feel, at least within this subset of consumers, of how many people truly use wet shaving to save money vs those that go to the opposite extreme spending hobby levels of money on what the vast majority of the public might consider a rather mundane, everyday task.
My primary intent wasn't to save money but even using an AS-D2, Feathers, M&F blonde, MDC & DRH AS my costs are low as I'm not collecting, rotating, etc. At most I'll have one replacement for each consumable on hand but at the moment I don't have any. Current jar of MDC is 6 months old (used daily) and the soap has just started to reach the bottom of the threads on the glass jar at its lowest point. A 100 pack of Feathers will last me about 2 years.

Last edited:
If I were not buying and chasing Razors I would be buying and chasing Knives, Guns, and other things...

So really in the long run It is probably saving me money! A razor generally cost much less that a Gun or knife. :001_smile

PLEASE SOMEONE SEND A COPY OF THIS TO MY WIFE!!!

If I were not buying and chasing Razors I would be buying and chasing Knives, Guns, and other things...

So really in the long run It is probably saving me money! A razor generally cost much less that a Gun or knife. :001_smile

PLEASE SOMEONE SEND A COPY OF THIS TO MY WIFE!!!

I hear that!!!
It's funny how I can draw the parallels....
It's always something. Like quitting smoking. Yes, you aren't buying cigarettes... but unless you make a concerted effort to save that money each week, you just spend it on something else and it's still gone.
Don't get me wrong, quitting smoking is good, but that's what I just went through. I don't have the extra cash lol, but I may live some more years longer.

Absolutely not. I have returned to de shaving for about a month or so and I have already collected 3 vintage Gillettes to go with my EJDE89. I keep telling myself they will appreciate in value and so that makes it okay. Also I have already got 4 soaps or creams, 2 pre shaves and a wack of different blades.

I thought that may be it for the moment and I would just rotate through the razors for a year to see which one I like the best. Then I thought I want a cheap razor, so I bought a Feather Popular for $8.63 from Japan. I have convinced my self that it will be my cheap travel razor. I don't seem to have developed a 'fetish' for brushes, but I am sure one of you chaps will tell me that comes later :w00t:

I think no matter what style of shaving I go with, I'm going to end up spending about the same amount of money.

Save money? Absolutely not. Hobby level spending? Perhaps. I've never really had a full on hobby. I've fished, hunted and played golf, but not consistently. I have enough gear to do each, but no surplus/collections.

I hated shaving with a cart. I did it about once per week. So it didn't really cost me all that much, but when I had to buy blades I hated myself. It seemed like a ton of money on something I hated.

Now? I think I've looked for the mailman 5 times today. I shave daily. It is easily one of my favorite daily activities. Not to mention all of the pleasure I have experienced as a member of the shaving community.

Technically I have saved money in the sense that I don't spend a large amount of money on blades anymore compared to buying cartridge razors I don't consider the money spent on soap aftershave and brushes to average into the debate only for the fact that that same amount of money would have been spent with the cartridge razors now the question of have I spent more money on products since joining B&B absolutely is it worth it for the new products that I have been able to use now absolutely but again if you only compare the cost of buying one de razor and de blades as opposed to cartridges I believe you can save lots of money (when I say cartridge razor I mean the Gillette fusion blades I used to use I understand you can buy cheaper ones but those are what I would spend my money on and its a savings for me ymmv of course)

I'm not really saving any money because I spent next to nothing prior to picking up a DE razor. Prior to wet shaving I used BIC disposables. I would buy a bag of them maybe twice a year. Use the same razors over and over. I'd buy a can of goo occasionally, but a can usually lasted a good while.

I've spent more money discovering what I like among various shaving products, but nothing I don't use now or intend to use later. But then, one would expect to spend a bit more than usual on initial investments. My consumables seem to last a long time so I'll probably learn the real cost of wet shaving later on.

There is no need to rationalize your expenditures. A hobby is a hobby. You all spend money however you want. Your money.

I'm really look for the ratio of those that truly save money vice those that spend more money.

Saving money? I never spent hundreds of dollars on soaps and aftershaves and brushes and blades and razors, when I used cartridge razors and canned cream.

Top Bottom