What's new

Can't get a good shave off my extra hollow!

Been shaving w/straights for 4 years. I have 4 razors in my rotation; a variety of sizes and grinds and I get a good shave off each except my extra hollow. I constantly try to improve my technique with it - but no results. It's a good razor and it's sharp as all get-out but the only spot on my face I can get smooth is my jawbone - is there something I'm missing? What gives? Anyone? Very frustrating.

Thanks!

It's a TI 6/8, round nose,
honed professionally. Recently, too! No pic handy but I'll post asap.

Doesn't make sense to me, unless the razor has never been, and is still not, properly honed/hone-able. A hollow grind may feel different on your face, but I don't think it changes a shave much at all compared with any other grind.

While the blade may have been honed professionally, that doesn't mean it's honed correctly.
I'd recommend sending it to Bayamontate for a honing. Besides nailing the edge, he'll also be able to tell you what's up with the existing edge.

Honing was my first thought too. If you use the same person to hone all your blades it may be that they don't have their full hollow technique nailed. It is very easy to over pressure a full hollow leading to a less than wonderful edge.

Thanks everyone!! I was begining t think along the same line. As I now recal, when I first received the razor from the vendor where I bought it, it was shave ready, and was quite sweet. Was nener the same , subsequently. I'll send it out elsewhere for a fresh bevel and see what kind of difference it makes - probably all the difference! Attached below are a cpople of snaps (should have wiped the blade clean
first, sorry!) You guys are great, thanks again!
$IMG_20151129_113732_edit.jpg$IMG_20151129_113941_edit.jpg

I would have it honed again by someone reliable, and would ask him to shave with it to check everything is OK. My best shaves are with extra hollow razors (filarmonica), much hollower than yours by a long way.

Top Bottom