What's new

Looking to try a cigar for the first time.

I would greatly suggest a Drew Estates Isla Del Sol. Sugar dipped end to be smooth on your lips, mild cigar, very pleasant smoke with zero nicotine bite. $5-6 a stick and is a great way to anyone who should have a pleasant first cigar experience.

Okay I'm just curious can you buy one cigar at the time? or four or five? The only place I know to get cigars is the tinderbox

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
You can usually buy any amount of cigars you want. Some shops will give a discount for 3 or t of the same cigar, not all, but some will

I recommend something in the mild or mild-medium range to start off on, so you'll probably want a connecticut shade wrapper. Camacho, San Lotano, San Cristobal, CLE, Perdomo, and Oliva are all good choices, just make sure you get the connecticut. Starting on a stronger cigar might actually be a put off as you won't be able just yet to sort out the flavors and you won't be used to the strength (called the body) of the cigar. I've been enjoying cigars for decades and this is what I always recommend to somebody starting out. It's also good to pair cigars with a drink, whether it's coffee, hot cocoa, or libation of some sort. I hope you enjoy it, cigars are a true pleasure once you develop your palate and zone in on the flavors, wrappers and tobaccos you like. Enjoy the journey!

I was thinking about trying out a cigar for the first time any gents have any suggestions

Take care in your choice of cigar. If the words "Predominantly non tobacco product" are any where near that cigar then it's made of "sheet tobacco" which is paper and trash mixed with scrap tobacco and ground up stems. An sweeteners are aimed at kids sneaking cigars.

If you want to enjoy the true pleasure of a REAL all tobacco cigar visit a shop that sells mostly tobacco. Domincan , or maybe Cuban, cigars are THE best if you can find them.

Otherwise you're wasting your money of floor sweeping.

Arturo Fuente, and Oliva were mentioned, I've tried and enjoyed their cigars--solid choices. I'd also throw in the Macanudo cigarillos and Cohiba pequinos (probably spelling that wrong) as something to try because they don't take an hour and a half to smoke like some cigars will.

Edit: they're also inexpensive to try a tin.

Last edited:
My 1st cigars (years ago) were Macanudo Hyde Parks. Stick with a bigger brand name for consistancy then when you figure out your tastes go crazy. Just a note.....Don't let maduro wrappers scare you into thinking they are "strong". Maduro wrappers are usually very smooth as they are aged longer. Happy herfing.

You can buy singles and I recommend you do so unless you have a fine home humidor. It's a treat just going into a cigar shop with a walk in humidor. As to the type I like montecristo white cigars. The Rothschild size is neither to large or small and will smoke for a reasonable time without overstaying its welcome. Have a glass of cool water handy. It helps to rinse your mouth, which improves the cigars flavor and keeps you hydrated. A good scotch or bourbon is also nice. Set aside an hour to smoke it, relax and contemplate life.

My 1st cigars (years ago) were Macanudo Hyde Parks. Stick with a bigger brand name for consistancy then when you figure out your tastes go crazy. Just a note.....Don't let maduro wrappers scare you into thinking they are "strong". Maduro wrappers are usually very smooth as they are aged longer. Happy herfing.

+1 on the comment on maduros. I actually started on maduros, even though there weren't a whole lot available at the time, just because everybody was smoking connecticut wrapped and I just had to be different. The Ashton Aged Maduro is a great beginner maduro, with one of the nicest maduro wrappers you'll ever see. Macanudo is another good mild maduro.

Don't get a cigar cutter until you get a humidor. The guy at the shop will punch or cut it when you buy it or you can cut it with a sharp pocket knife.
As for pipes. You will need a pipe, pipe tool, pipe cleaners plus pipe sweetener and maybe a pouch.

I think a decent choice would be an Arturo Fuente short story. Great flavor and you don't have to invest an hour in smoking it.

Rick

I'll jump in and recommend Ashton Heritage Puro Sol. A bit pricey ($10 to $14 each), but a great cigar. Medium strength, plenty of flavor, and flawless construction.

If you have smoked before, one of the larger sizes shouldn't be any problem. If it's your first time, choose a smaller size and work up so you don't overload on the nicotine.

Top Bottom