What's new

As a relative noob, the variety is quashing my education

Well just enjoy this hobby and have fun especially if you can afford it (soaps can get expensive when you start stocking for no reason). But having said that, I am against waste so IMHO you should try and become more selective about the products you get even before you try something new. For instance, always check the ingredient list and see if there is something you don't like (for example I totally avoid castor oil, menthol, etc). Go for stuff with less chemicals. Or chose by country of manufacture. Or decide on a certain scent that you really like and avoid others that you're not crazy about even when people claim it's a great soap. Stick to soft soap or hard soap. Decide on a plastic tub or a metal tin. Or just get Tabac! lol

That's how I narrow down my options and avoid ending up with too many soaps I am not going to consume. Right now, based on some of these criteria I only have three in my rotation and I am quite happy about it. When I am done with at least two of them, then I buy another one!
:tongue_sm:001_rolle:thumbup1:

Last edited:
neat thing about soaps and having 'too many' of them; you can turn around and "use them like you hate em" and discover just what's really in your hand.

...odd thing about that though? they still last a damn sight longer than I expect!

neat thing about soaps and having 'too many' of them; you can turn around and "use them like you hate em" and discover just what's really in your hand.

...odd thing about that though? they still last a damn sight longer than I expect!

I may try the "Get mad at your soap" technique and see what I can learn

I also enjoy rotating the soap I'm using depending on my mood. Wait until you start using a menthol soap like Proraso Green...then you have to choose if you want icy-coolness as well.....and then you buy more soaps.....

Definitely enjoy the journey, I've tried staying on one soap or cream for a little bit, but I found that I was lacking something. I just can't stay away from my other soaps for too long. Being able to change things up for me is crucial for my shave experience. Don't worry, the whiskers keep growing and you have many years ahead of you to get down a nice technique if it hasn't formed yet.

Look at it a different way - do you drink the same beer every time, do you eat the same breakfast every time, do you use the same razor or blade or brush or AS every time, do you wear the same shirt every day, .... variety is great and keeps me getting up in the morning.

Well said. I myself loike the idea of minimalism but in practice not every aspect of my life can adhere to it (I won't let it because i don't want to). In shavineg forums there's always the "you can accomplish everything you need with just a puck of Williams' guy. While that is true it is also boring. I could also eat bread (let's say one kind.....Wonder bread) and drink water ever meal and maybe supplement that with one sardine and one apple and i could live but again....boring. Might as well end it now if there's no joy, right :wink:

Well said. I myself loike the idea of minimalism but in practice not every aspect of my life can adhere to it (I won't let it because i don't want to). In shavineg forums there's always the "you can accomplish everything you need with just a puck of Williams' guy. While that is true it is also boring. I could also eat bread (let's say one kind.....Wonder bread) and drink water ever meal and maybe supplement that with one sardine and one apple and i could live but again....boring. Might as well end it now if there's no joy, right :wink:

well said. My shaves are usuay pretty close and only simetimes with a little irritation which is a far cry from when I started, so I guess its true that (whatever the pace may be) I'm improving and having fun with it all at the same time

You can always follow my path.... buy buy buy and but some more. Then stop buying but trade non-soap items for more soap (buy, hey, you didn't buy more soap! :tongue_sm), and the start 3017ing the lot once you realize you can foll a moving truck with soap.

+1. This is exactly what happened to me. Now I've found that I really enjoy 3017ing a soap as it allows me to really get it dialed in. If after a week I'm not impressed, it gets put aside for inclusion in the next passaround box to arrive at my place or a PIF.

lol I have the same problem. I went crazy when I first started and now I have a ridiculous amount of shaving soap and some fo them I have only used once or twice. This makes it hard to get the water soap ratio down, but I love variety and have found some mind blowing soaps in the process.

Top Bottom