What's new

Irritation around Adam's apple. Avoidable?

I've been shaving with my DE razor now for about a month or two. I love it, and feel my technique and lather of soap is finally good. Although, no matter what direction I come at my Adam's apple area, I get bad irritation that lasts all day... Not cool when your in a military uniform. Any tips for this?

I'm currently washing the face thoroughly, and using a hot wet towel over the neck for 1 minute before shaving. Good lather and short strokes with no pressure, can't seem to win here.

This may seem counterintuitive but try cold shaving. Also, let your beard rest next time you get leave to let things heal up a bit.

Be sure you know the grain on that area. Also, use low pressure. Settle for a DFS here. Not nearly as noticablw here as on your face.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Swallow as the razor passes over the Adam's apple. This retracts the bump somewhat ... try it!

I have a somewhat protruding adam's apple and I follow the advice to hold a swallow to move it up and out of the way, then while doing that pull the skin to one side so I have it fairly flat.

This works perfectly for me and I never have an issue with that region. It takes a few practice attempts to do this the first time but soon it will be second nature. Good luck.

I have a somewhat protruding adam's apple and I follow the advice to hold a swallow to move it up and out of the way, then while doing that pull the skin to one side so I have it fairly flat.

This works perfectly for me and I never have an issue with that region. It takes a few practice attempts to do this the first time but soon it will be second nature. Good luck.

+1 that's the best way to do it

I slide the skin to the side, rather than shave directly over the bump.

I also have to shave the left side a different direction than the right side to avoid a rash. The hair "seems" to grow the same direction - but must not. I let the razor be my guide. The direction that has the least resistance is the right direction :)

Shave one side of the Adam's apple, the the other. Without going directly over the top.
Swallow and hold it. This takes the apple upward. Stretch your skin down and get the last little bit.

+2. Swallow and "hold the swallow" make the adam's apple area much easier terrain to shave around. Also like Lane advised, pull the skin lightly so the area over the adam's apple shift's left (or right, depending on which way you pull the skin).

I've had many good shaves without irritation in that area using a light touch with a Slim on #5 and a good blade. The other day I got some real irritation and the only thing I think I did differently than usual was I held my head at a different angle than usual (tilted higher pulling the skin tighter) as I wasn't in front of my usual mirror at home. The only other factor then was how tight the skin was when I went ATG. I got quite the razor rash and I couldn't believe it could be cause by only these simple things I did differently. It was bad enough irritation for me to take the next day off from shaving.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I slide the skin to the side, rather than shave directly over the bump.

I also have to shave the left side a different direction than the right side to avoid a rash. The hair "seems" to grow the same direction - but must not. I let the razor be my guide. The direction that has the least resistance is the right direction :)
That's what I do. When it comes to sliding the skin around, it helps to rub my fingers on my alum block real quick.

I have a rather large adams apple and shaving there has been a problem in the past. I used to get razor burn all over my neck in particular and the adams apple area was a big problem. I finally have irritation free shaves. First pass wtg, second cross except the neck. On the neck I go straight for an xtg pass. First, I'll make a / pass, then on the last pass where I go against the grain everywhere else, I'll go xtg in a \ pass. Then if I want to get really smooth, I'll lightly go atg and buff on my neck. I hope I explained it in an easy way to understand.

Top Bottom