What's new

Le Grand Chypre

Been eyeing this up but cant really wrap my head around the scent. Anyone have it yet? If so can u break it down in laymans term lol. it was suggested that stetson is in the chypre realm.. not a fan of stetson but i dont think this will be anything like it really.... Any help would be great

coincidentally, a couple of the guys over on SOTD just received this and shaved today.
perhaps one will post some reactions.

$bm chypre.jpg

I received mine yesterday and shaved with it this morning. I couldn't help but continue to open it and sniff it all last night. Citrus-rose-peach is what I get. My favorite B&M so far.

Yep- I got it Sat at Maggard's. It was kind of off by itself as if it was the last one.. I would get it before it's gone. Citrus, Oakmoss, Labdanum, Rose, Frankincense - you can't go wrong if you like some of B&M's other offerings. Not dark or weird like Leviathan (which I love), but just good.

I agree that it's an easy B&M to like. Citrus and Oakmoss are prominent to me. The rose is a little stronger in the splash, I thought, but both are just fantastic. The kind of scent that has me opening the jar for surreptitious sniffs. The new formula soap is incredibly easy to lather too -- even easier than the old one.

Ahh yes looks like it's gone from maggards and their own site. I get caught up in the limited releases. And I love barrister and Mann. I'm just trying to keep my soap to a manageable level around 12 or so. Got several that I really enjoy that I don't use enough now lol

Got this soap in the mail the other day and it's a true winner. I've only shaved once with it, but first impressions are overwhelmingly positive. The scent is very classic and very old school in my mind. It certainly is one of the stronger soaps I own. The scent lingered long past the shave. It had a very green, rich, powdery scent with the balance of light floral and citrus. It's an instant classic! The shave lather itself was beyond outstanding. I think this is a new formula for B&M and they nailed it! Very slick, very easy to lather and very protective on the face. Post shave feel was top notch as well. I can't wait to give it a few more tries, but for now I am impressed and enjoying it a lot!

Had my first shave with Le Grand Chypre today and it lived up to the anticipation. I'll have to use it a few more times to get a fuller sense of it, but the fragrance is a joy. I'll probably get the aftershave. I'd say its nearest cousin is Rhapsody, probably because of the distinct peach connection. But they're very different fragrances. While I grew to love Rhapsody over time, my initial reaction was that it was one of B&M's slighter efforts; lovely and bright, but didn't quite "stick the landing". Le Grand Chypre delivers much more than a floral reminiscence. It's got greater depth and breadth than Rhapsody and some other B&M soaps, and though the high notes thrill, the whole thing is well anchored by the oakmoss (and probably the labdanum, although I don't have enough experience to be able to isolate that).

B&M has also talked about adjustments to the formula that increase the slickness of the soap. I did find this to be true, but any improvement in overall performance was incremental, at least on first try. All B&M soaps are top performers, as noted here, and while some work a bit differently (I find that Leviathan, for example, has surprising cushion, and that the feel of the face afterward is superior) they all work so well that it's a horse race, and one may as well concentrate on fragrance in selecting from among them.

If the company decides to bring more out in the future, I would say this goes up there with their Fougere Imperiale, Lavanille, Vetiver/Heather/Clary Sage and other most-celebrated B&M creations.

DGI

I've heard that B&M is considering altering their normal formula permanently (with this as the model), so if you prefer this soap to the regular white label versions, be sure and give your input.

I've heard that B&M is considering altering their normal formula permanently (with this as the model), so if you prefer this soap to the regular white label versions, be sure and give your input.

That is the plan. Dickens will probably be the last "white label" base soap and the rest will be made with the new base going forward.

That is the plan. Dickens will probably be the last "white label" base soap and the rest will be made with the new base going forward.

I really hope he updates to the new formula. I enjoy the previous, but I've heard that the new formula is significantly easier to lather and is a bit slicker. Both are huge selling points to me.

I really hope he updates to the new formula. I enjoy the previous, but I've heard that the new formula is significantly easier to lather and is a bit slicker. Both are huge selling points to me.

He stated as much on Reddit. LGC is the first soap of the new base, Dickens is normal white label and the plan is to phase in the new base as the new white label soap.

From all reports it is slicker and at least as thirsty as before but also easier lathering in hard water areas. It is also supposed to be slightly softer so it will load easier and faster as well.

Noooo! I don't want it softer. I already have soft water and B&M lathers great. If its softer, I'll just use it faster. Actually, I buy Barrisster and Mann for the overall experience. If it is indeed an improved formula, great!

After a few shaves with LGC I'd say I prefer the previous formula, but only slightly. This may offer just a bit more slickness, but I think the prior formula had a bit more body to the lather, a bit more cushion. Note that I live in an area with soft water, and B&M lathers easily, feels rich and creamy. Especially with the right brush. The difference is very small, and just as before, I'd imagine different formulations going forward will have different characteristics.

I was too late to get the soap, but I managed to snag a bottle of the A/S. I did not have the luxury to smell it beforehand so It was a bling buy. To me is has a cherry note. The wife did not care for it at all, I a still confused about it. Very strange scent. I will try it a few more times before I make my mind up.

I was too late to get the soap, but I managed to snag a bottle of the A/S. I did not have the luxury to smell it beforehand so It was a bling buy. To me is has a cherry note. The wife did not care for it at all, I a still confused about it. Very strange scent. I will try it a few more times before I make my mind up.
I agree that the scent is weird/unusual and may not be for everyone. There is definitely a floral component, but it is not at all sweet. The only comparison I can think of that illustrates how the scent of this soap differs from any other soap I've used is the difference between a food that is savory and one that is sweet. This is definitely a savory scent, filled with umami (or at least it would be if it were a food). It has grown on me the more that I've used it, but I was a bit weirded out initially. Also, the scent of the lather on your face is very different from how it smells when you open the tub and take a whiff -- it's a bit mellower and with rounder edges -- so don't be too quick to judge.
The performance of the soap is really good -- slick and cushion-ey. I've got sensitive skin that usually only allows me a single WTG pass, but I'm able to go XTG with this soap with no irritation or nicks. This is my first B&M product (but definitely not my last!), so I can't compare performance with their white label soaps.

-S

Top Bottom