What's new

How do you know if your razor is properly honed?

I would contact SRD. Maybe one got by them but Lynn and Don produce great edges. I need not bring numbers up here. I'm just saying blaming bad technique / rookie mistakes on the vendor isn't right. How do we know the OP didn't do something wrong to dull his blade? He said he's new to straights.. hasn't shaved since he bought it in July... really hard to know shave ready if you don't know what that means.

I'm not suggesting it couldn't have been the vendor. Rather focusing the attention on the user not the supplier. I'm skeptical to say the least...

You are probably right about it being user error but don't discount honing.

Honing from Straight Razor Designs?
http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=473072

I would contact SRD. Maybe one got by them but Lynn and Don produce great edges. I need not bring numbers up here. I'm just saying blaming bad technique / rookie mistakes on the vendor isn't right. How do we know the OP didn't do something wrong to dull his blade? He said he's new to straights.. hasn't shaved since he bought it in July... really hard to know shave ready if you don't know what that means.

I'm not suggesting it couldn't have been the vendor. Rather focusing the attention on the user not the supplier. I'm skeptical to say the least...
Check their yelp reviews. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...EWf7B9AwImU9wX7Sg&sig2=naLDDtNdyXJulxoxDNF6-A

I read the thread and checked the Yelp reviews. Kind of funny though. Putting it into perspective. You can't be 100% all the time when you hone literally thousands of razors a year. Nobody can.

I'm not discrediting the honing. Maybe he missed one or two. Maybe Don honed them.. Either way .. I laugh when I read threads like this...

Nobody can deny Lynn's experience level.. the hone meister.

I don't think there's any doubt Lynn can hone, the real question is, does he, when he hones thousands of razors a year?

I read the thread and checked the Yelp reviews. Kind of funny though. Putting it into perspective. You can't be 100% all the time when you hone literally thousands of razors a year. Nobody can.

I'm not discrediting the honing. Maybe he missed one or two. Maybe Don honed them.. Either way .. I laugh when I read threads like this...

Nobody can deny Lynn's experience level.. the hone meister.

Ive seen lots of them that were not good at all, I know lots of people that have said the same. The yelp reviews are what they are, you could think its funny or not, who cares? I am not steering you anywhere nor do I sell or hone for money, The reason for a forum is not to maintain the status quo, but to share what we have seen and heard. Take it or leave it! Doesnt matter to me. But I have been around the block enough to know what is good and what is not. I feel there are so many honers that produce great edges. FOr a new guy to get a dud so often is an injustice to the hobby and the buyer.

I purchased it in July. When I first tried to use the razor, I thought it tugged the hairs because I was bad at using the razor. That leads to why I did not contact the vendor. I did not contact the vendor because football season started and I coach for a living and l didnt have time to use the Straight Razor during the season. I work 7 days a week and long hours. (I used my DE).. Since football season ended, I thought it would be fun to learn straight razor. That leads me to where I am now.

There is a disconnect betweent the 2nd and 3rd sentence here.
1st - you thought the razor tugged because you weren't shaving well.
2nd - you didn't contact the vendor because it was football season.

There would be no reason to contact the vendor if you though your shaving techniques were at fault.
Which leads me to think you are actually saying that you thought the honing was at fault.

Look - I have no stake in SRD's defense, Llyns rep, or any of all of it.
I have nothing to gain from any outcome of the discussion.
I'm certain that half the people here that hone think they hone better than everyone else does, and that isn't going to change anytime soon. Whatever...
It's just that sometimes I read stuff here - and when it doesn't make sense I ask questions.
Usually, answers to the questions help solve the riddle.
Sometimes though, answers just create more questions.

Whatever - I hope it all works out.
It's a razor - None of any of this is rocket science, so I'm sure it'll be shaving fine soon enough.

Srd offer a second rehone on a razor purchased. You could send it back and I,m sure Lynn would rehone the razor for free . Maybe you still have that option.

gary

I have never ordered from SRD but have enjoyed watching lots of his videos on honing and have pretty much created my starting technique based on his honing regime but if your not happy with the end result send all items back and pick another vendor.

I did strop before shaving. 25 down and backs
when is started, Simone told me that only 50 each way did anything for him. Not knowing any egged, I did the same. I don't any more, I do more: 25 each way on Canvas then 50 each way on leather before and 50 each way on Canvas followed by 25 each way on leather after. This Keeps my edge sharp and my shaves comfortable.

Another factor is the quality of the strop. I have some that give me horrible shaves.

Didn't fix it. Just honed it. Heavy low grit paste. Very typical from there they all look the same. 2 or 3.micron diamond imo, on a factory edge. Maybe balsa. VERY scratchy and jagged. But in line with what I've seen many times before.

Didn't fix it. Just honed it. Heavy low grit paste. Very typical from there they all look the same. 2 or 3.micron diamond imo, on a factory edge. Maybe balsa. VERY scratchy and jagged. But in line with what I've seen many times before.

Thanks for the report and all your hard work. I know the OP will be happy with the result.

I first started with a shavette. It's a good place to start. You do pay for your mistakes. I found that it is no substitute for a straight razor. But it doesn't take any maintenance and that's nice when starting out.

Always wish the guys that fix these razors for people could take some scope shots before and after. I can't help being curious the state of a "shave ready" blade that wasn't. Bill did the next best thing in his description, and it's in line with some "shave ready's" I've fixed for people in the past, not specifically from SRD... seems it's the standard method for high volume honers these days (garbage edge polished with high grit paste). It's getting to the point where new shavers will need an experienced guy just to test their edge for them before they start because honers are obviously taking advantage of the fact that a new shaver won't be a good judge of edge quality and passing off edges the honer themselves would NEVER shave with as shave ready.

In any case, glad you got it sorted out.

I can't believe you didn't get all the oil off the blade. That's the culprit I'm sure. Lol. I like that they don't use the name of this forum, just "over there" and other terms. Even with all the censorship and squashing of healthy discussion here it's still leaps and bounds above what is allowed "over there". Maybe "his" naniwas finally started to dish... lol

Yup the oil thing is ridiculous! Where was the "we value your business and please contact us so we can remedy this"? Very strange. He got a good shave from Larrys blade and a member honed another for him, EXACTLY in line with what I have seen and heard for YEARS. The fact that they havent deleted the post and banned the OP to Valhalla is unusual. Im sure they will remove both asap.

Top Bottom