What's new

Do you remove the blade from the razor between shaves?

Some shavers report their blades last for 30 or even 50 shaves.

The people who stretch blade use to 30-50 shaves is a tiny percentage. If I were to try it, my face would be in shreds. I'd challenge you to give it a try and see how the comfort and effectiveness of the shave changes with each successive use. If they are still getting comfortable and effective shaves at 30-50 shaves per blade they must have a much lighter beard than me. I'll go 4-6 shaves per blade but I see a definite drop in comfort and performance if I push it much further than that. Blades are cheap so I have no desire to set some kind of single blade record. I'd rather have comfortable, effective shaves.

Yes I do for several reasons. I may want to switch the razor in the rotation tomorrow. I have hard water and I like to wipe my razors down so they are always shiny. I have a 7 year old who likes to shave and you know accidents can happen. But mainly because I like a clean shiny razor and it doesn't take long to do.

Yes I do for several reasons. I may want to switch the razor in the rotation tomorrow. I have hard water and I like to wipe my razors down so they are always shiny. I have a 7 year old who likes to shave and you know accidents can happen. But mainly because I like a clean shiny razor and it doesn't take long to do.

Exactly! :thumbup1:

The people who stretch blade use to 30-50 shaves is a tiny percentage. If I were to try it, my face would be in shreds. I'd challenge you to give it a try and see how the comfort and effectiveness of the shave changes with each successive use. If they are still getting comfortable and effective shaves at 30-50 shaves per blade they must have a much lighter beard than me. I'll go 4-6 shaves per blade but I see a definite drop in comfort and performance if I push it much further than that. Blades are cheap so I have no desire to set some kind of single blade record. I'd rather have comfortable, effective shaves.

Oh I know that! I totally agree with you. That's why I said "some shavers". Me, I never use the same blade more than three times...:tongue_sm

Could you elaborate a little on the "with the pressure relieved from the blade" and "blade that has full tension in use", please. Would the blade be less ready for a good shave if I keep the razor assembled with the front and back plates exercising pressure on the flat sides of the blade?

As for rinsing the razor and blade, those motions are an integral part of the Zen of DE shaving. Don't see myself quitting doing that.

Sure. I mean that when you reassemble the razor you don't screw it tight , you leave it a little loose to lessen the curve on the blade in storage. The blade then will then never take a set to the razor curve thus keeping the edge where it should be.....straight and strong to fully support the cutting edge. This preserves the angle of attack blade to whisker. Sounds far fetched but is 100% true.

All one must do when ready to shave is give the handle a twist to fully tighten the head assembly.

Why would you not remove the blade and clean and dry it? Razors are bacteria traps, bacteria loves warm damp conditions and it's one of the reasons I can't use cartridge razors as they can't be properly cleaned and dried. How can you clean and dry a razor and blade properly by leaving the blade in?

I remove the blade, rinse it and the razor, pat dry and re-assemble, it takes about a minute and I never have any issues with my skin anymore. It's not dangerous, it's a razor blade not nitro glycerine. The question I'd ask is if you care about hygiene why would you not do it?

Why would you not remove the blade and clean and dry it? Razors are bacteria traps, bacteria loves warm damp conditions and it's one of the reasons I can't use cartridge razors as they can't be properly cleaned and dried. How can you clean and dry a razor and blade properly by leaving the blade in?

I remove the blade, rinse it and the razor, pat dry and re-assemble, it takes about a minute and I never have any issues with my skin anymore. It's not dangerous, it's a razor blade not nitro glycerine. The question I'd ask is if you care about hygiene why would you not do it?

Sadly, your well taken point is lost on many shavers here. A clean razor is a safe razor especially with todays super bacteria!!

A simple rinse, flush in water is NOT enough to get a clean razor. The soap scum and cut hair must be removed from the blade or your razor is NOT clean........it's only wet.

Slow down there! some of us still use carbon steel blades ;)

But seriously I totally agree, even on occasions when I have a Treet Dura Sharp (coated HC) loaded there is no chance of corrosion on the blade before it would have been swapped for a new one. Maybe if I left one loaded for a couple weeks in the bathroom, the humidity would push it over the edge, but in normal rotation it has never happened.

Taking the blade out between uses invites either a cut finger or a dinged edge, maybe on a bad day both.

Yea I tried to qualify about stainless. I ahould have added the clear caveat about carbon steel blades.

Sadly, your well taken point is lost on many shavers here. A clean razor is a safe razor especially with todays super bacteria!!

A simple rinse, flush in water is NOT enough to get a clean razor. The soap scum and cut hair must be removed from the blade or your razor is NOT clean........it's only wet.

What about your toothbrush? Anyone take extra steps to clean and sanitize it?

I rinse it and pat dry the whole thing, except the brushes. I just shake off the excess water and store it in the drawer far away from the toilet. (I read somewhere that the toilet flush throws up particles about 4 feet into the air... something like that).

Exactly!!! :thumbup1:

+1

Always take out, rinse everything and pat dry. Only reason is I like my razors clean (clean is not sterilized).
Blade is stored in a box in the med cabinet.

Nope. I just rinse it well, dry it, and hang it on the stand with the brush to dry until tomorrow's use. Never had a problem doing this.

Yes, I found that a baby's toothbrush is the right size to clean the blade edge free of soap scum and "stuff" scraped off your face during a shave. A couple of swipes, rinse, check, dip in barbicide then re-assemble blade back into a razor to dry.

Note: If you don't want to buy Barbicide (it's really cheap) then pure alcohol will do)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
So just how valid is the germ angle as it isn't something I'd thought about?

Well. People wouldn't run the risk of licking the inside of the sink basin with their tongue, but they will run the risk of nicking their face with a dirty grungy razor blade that has been incubating in a warm, moist, dark environment. :)

Yes I do. I then wipe it gently and place it back in the razor. After that I go and straighten up work bench. Do you see a pattern emerging here?

Top Bottom