What's new

First new straight.

Hey everyone I'm in the market for my first new razor.. all mine are vintage. I want an extra hollow or "singing" blade that's elegant and is a well known all around great blade.. maybe gold washed? I was thinking a theirs isaard is there a difference between $100 blade or a $200 blade? Is it just a for looks thing or do they hold and edge and perform better? Idk I like dark wood scales too. Any suggestions and pics would be great with some info on how they preform. Thanks all.

Here is my only new TI (but I have plenty of vintages).
This was my first razor.
I love the simple, pure look of the all metal body.
No gold wash. Just simple metal on this one.
There was an Art of Shaving etching on the blade, but I got rid of it.
$2014_12_27.jpg

Hi !
TI is value for money no worries. Blades are forged from the same steel nowadays and the difference lays in the features you will get. Etching, scales, spine work will contribute to increase the price, not to mention the blade width.
If you wish to spend 100-200 USD, just go to eBay and type NOS Solingen straight razors.

You'll find plenty of excellent blades within this price range (from other brands) with an excellent pedigree..!

Hi !
TI is value for money no worries. Blades are forged from the same steel nowadays and the difference lays in the features you will get. Etching, scales, spine work will contribute to increase the price, not to mention the blade width.
If you wish to spend 100-200 USD, just go to eBay and type NOS Solingen straight razors.

You'll find plenty of excellent blades within this price range (from other brands) with an excellent pedigree..!

Thanks I'm looking at a crown and sword.

Finding an ERN (Crown & Sword) that is NOS will be a bit of a challenge, but doable. I think what Mango was suggesting is, there are a LOT of good razors in new condition if you are willing to spend a couple hundred bucks. And many are still being made today. If you want an awesome hollow ground 6/8, look at a new "Boker Silver Steel". I have a lot of straight razors and this one is as good as it gets for a great shave. Sells for about $150.

Knife center had biker 6/8 silver steel in faux tortoise for 155 or so shipped. Love mine. Your money your call of course.

How did you "get rid" of the AOS on that blade? I'm curious because I see striations running horizontally along the entire blade. What did you use?

Frank
I did a dirty job using 500 grit sand paper.
A proper job would involved a few minute on the buffer with some red rouge or some crOx. I did not do that though as I did not want to have to re-hone it and the buffer ruined the edge.

Top Bottom