What's new

Trader Joe's Shave Kit

Only 3-4 in Colorado, and they opened in the last couple years. Seem smaller than the ones we shopped at in other areas. Still manage to spend some $$$ there though.

Only 3-4 in Colorado, and they opened in the last couple years. Seem smaller than the ones we shopped at in other areas. Still manage to spend some $$$ there though.

I just looked at their web site.

Per that data, there are now 7 in Colorado - Boulder, Colorado Springs, 3 in Denver, Fort Collins and Greenwood Village. Still not many.

Wow, they are taking over! :w00t:

Due to Colorado liquor laws, only one in Denver sells alcohol, so no 3 buck Chuck up here in the northern side...

Excellent synopsis & review. Thanks. Monday's my day off, so I think I'll do some grocery shopping at TJ's (I'm within a mile of the closest one).

Those of you who can't imagine being far from a Trader Joe's need to spend more time in Appalachia. My hometown's in Eastern Kentucky, and people there have, for the most part, never even heard of it.
Here is a slightly longer post, with inline images.

Yesterday evening I needed a shave, and some party supplies. I thought I was all set for the former, but while at TJ to pick up the latter I noticed the Close Shave kit. For ten bucks, why not? Once I was at home, I decided to risk using it.

Look closely at the hairs at the bottom center and you can see that sawtooth pattern that says "synthetic".

The photos do not show this, but the handle is very cheaply made. The brush wants to float, even loft-down in a small cup. It feels kind of like the Omega 10066 handle, but even lighter. At first I thought it was plastic with a faux wood grain, but it may well be cheap wood. Either way it has a clear coat, which is already cracking and bubbling. The bottom of the handle is a bit rough: not quite flat and roughly finished. Might make a good knot donor for a better handle, if you like the knot.

The tub seems sturdy and looks nice. It is full of a fairly soft soap, possibly a bit more than the labeled 170 grams. Full, mine weighed 230 grams without the lid.

For my shave I soaked the brush in a cup of warm water while I splashed water on my face and throat, then squeezed out the brush and loaded it for about 30 seconds. That was probably a bit long: according to my scale I loaded over 4 grams of soap. Next time I will try to scoop out a gram or two, closer to my usual amount with a cream.

I face-lathered, and I had some trouble with the brush. At 20x51 it is lofty, but the synthetic fibers are quite stiff. The tips feel very soft in a painting motion, but when I tried any splay I was fighting that backbone. It shed exactly one fiber during the shave. Overall it felt very springy, like first Mühle synthetic I used: lathering by Voit.

But after four or five minutes I had an acceptable lather. I could feel the menthol advertised in the ingredients, but not to any extreme. For the shave itself I used an English flat-bottom NEW with a T-series Spoiler blade and a BRW Bull Mastiff handle. I forget how many shaves are on that blade: at least eight, maybe a dozen. Did my usual three passes with good results, no surprises. I had to milk the brush for the third pass, and that core lather was dry enough that I hand-mixed it with extra water. Finished with a shower and applied a pea-sized drop of the balm. I usually use some witch hazel and then a splash, but this balm seemed effective.

It may be too early to rush to judgment, but so far I think the kit is a decent value at the price. The soap or cream may be worth the price on its own, and you get an acceptable balm and a usable brush thrown in gratis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a kit over the weekend, I haven't used it yet but I liked the scent. I hope it turns out to be a quality soap.

I always like seeing traditional shaving products in brick & mortars.

I can't remember the last time I've walked into a chain pharmacy or a Stop and Shop Supermarket (or any supermarket) without checking the shaving supplies aisle! I usually find nothing, but I have picked up Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel at Whole Foods, Nivea Shaving Cream (in a tube) along with Nivea Sensitive Cool Aftershave Balm at Stop and Shop, and Williams Mug Soap pucks at a local pharmacy. All were on sale and I got a great price on the Nivea balm. I never used to make the shaving aisle a mandatory stop when I was cartridge shaving.

Saw a new reddit thread. Guy tried it. This is second hand info since I don't have it, just FYI.

He said the soap smells strongly like sandalwood and spice and he could still smell it some over 5 hours later. That it was very slick and the post shave feel was great with very soft skin. The brush is synthetic but nice.

Here's the shave kit I got and the Head to Toe Moisturizing Balm I also picked up...

$Trader-Joes-Shave-Kit-and-HeadToToe-Balm.gif

Thank everyone for their input. I work at a TJs and I was trying to figure out whether it was worth buying. I analyzed the brush but other than lack of boar I couldn't decide if it was worth my time.
As a side note this is very temporary item, just for the holidays. It will be gone in the next two weeks or so. I might pick up another kit somewhere else (will be gifted with a new DE razor) because I'm sure my father will wear the brush out first.
I got him a nice DE razor for father's day four years ago and I try to make sure he's stocked up.

I bought and tried this just today and I was pleased. For $10 you get a pretty good soap and a decent balm. The brush isn't anything fancy but for that little money, I wouldn't expect a whole lot. At any rate, I dripped a few drops of warm water on top of the soap while I hot toweled my face and then face lathered after about 2-3 minutes and it lathered well in short order.

I could feel the slight tingle of the menthol and the fragrance was quite noticeable, maybe too much for some, but I am okay with it (I like Trumper's Rose so the "manliness" isn't a concern). Overall I think it does a good job, especially considering the price.

To address dpm802, my wife and I have had the same problem with them discontinuing items/food we like so I asked an employee once why, and he told me that it's based on national sales. Your local store might sell $1000 worth of whatever in a week, but if it doesn't sell very well anywhere else, they discontinue it.

I finally tried it yesterday. As far as the "soap", this is easily the softest soap I've ever used, its most definitely cream territory. I tried to bowl lather it and I just couldn't get it to lather. I know it comes with a brush and in the directions it says to use a brush, but it was almost like trying to lather up a non-lather cream. I didn't use the brush that came with it, instead I opted for my WD badger. I worked on the lather for a longer than I do most products and it just stayed thin and watery. I decided to use it anyway. I was rather pleased because even though there was hardly any cushion, it was super slick and I got a decent shave out of it. I must say I did really like the AS balm. It has a very nice scent and left my face feeling good. A little goes a long way, only need three drops of the stuff. Its different from other balms I've used, almost a gel like consistency but it worked great. I don't know if I would buy the soap again, I prefer more cushion, but I would buy the balm if it is ever sold separately.

I finally tried it yesterday. As far as the "soap", this is easily the softest soap I've ever used, its most definitely cream territory. I tried to bowl lather it and I just couldn't get it to lather. I know it comes with a brush and in the directions it says to use a brush, but it was almost like trying to lather up a non-lather cream. I didn't use the brush that came with it, instead I opted for my WD badger. I worked on the lather for a longer than I do most products and it just stayed thin and watery. I decided to use it anyway. I was rather pleased because even though there was hardly any cushion, it was super slick and I got a decent shave out of it. I must say I did really like the AS balm. It has a very nice scent and left my face feeling good. A little goes a long way, only need three drops of the stuff. Its different from other balms I've used, almost a gel like consistency but it worked great. I don't know if I would buy the soap again, I prefer more cushion, but I would buy the balm if it is ever sold separately.

As far as the cream-soap goes, this might be a "use more product" situation. I find I have to use at least two grams, and my water is fairly soft. With harder water or a larger brush I would expect to need even more. That cuts into the value proposition of the stuff, of course.

As far as the cream-soap goes, this might be a "use more product" situation. I find I have to use at least two grams, and my water is fairly soft. With harder water or a larger brush I would expect to need even more. That cuts into the value proposition of the stuff, of course.

You may be right, I used what I thought was an appropriate amount based on other products I use but next time I will use more. I have naturally hard water but I also have a whole house filtration and softener system so I do know about that aspect.

I was gifted a kit by my SIL, thought at first it wouldn't be worth trying but decided it could join my Slim at my folks for an away kit. Going to try it today. Found a Trader Joes Fearless Flier page that describes the brush as nylon, my first synthetic. Not a balm user but may give it a go.

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/2740

Last edited:
Top Bottom