What's new

Opinion Request: Silver Steel or Edelweiss?

I'm just going to ask everyone for an opinion: I'm looking at purchasing either a Boker Edelweiss or Silver Steel, and would like any input from folks who have tried either (or both) and could offer their experiences, both positive and negative, for either.

Just a FYI: I'm not looking to hear why they are both good, bad, why some other brand is what I should do, questions about how much experience I have wet shaving, etc, etc. I've gotten into too many futile internet arguments about stupid things, and I've received too many ignorant posts from internet generals - I'm asking a specific question about two razors; that's it.

If you've had experience with a different Boker that you loved (King Cutter?), I'd be interested in hearing about it, but I'm specifically looking to hear about the two I've mentioned above.

Opinions are welcome, and explanations are requested.

Thanks in advance!

I have the Edelweiss and the grind is excellent...although advertised as full hollow, it shaves, to me, more like an extra full...the only thing I don't like about it is the shank...it is slightly "bellied" not flat and no jimping so it can be a little slippery. As long as you keep your hands dry it's not a problem. It was the first razor I bought and some 30 razors later it still stays in the rotation. A ton of audible feedback and easy to hone. It is a great shaver and will continue to stay in my rotation. If it was a 6/8" it would probably be my absolute favorite.

Hope this helps...

Hi K9,

I started with a new Boker Silver Steel purchased on Ebay in typical manufacturers "shave ready condition," and proceeded to learn how to hone it on shaptons 4,8 & 16k.
As a point of reference I wanted to purchase a professionally honed razor, so I drove down to West Coast Shaving about 20 min from me. I looked at the new Boker Edelweiss they had, loved the etching, but the look and feel of the 5/8 blade didn't do it for me. I wound up buying another Silver Steel.

The Silver Steel is an excellent shaver, nimble and very tactile with that extra hollow grind. She really sings when working. I find the fat, wide tang very easy to grip especially while honing. Using the pinch grip on the tang and rolling her on the spine feels super secure to me.

Im still pretty new to wet shaving but I have a lot of other nice razors to compare them to: x2 Ralf Aust, x2 Wackers, x2 Hart, x2 Revisor plus a fair amount of vintage stuff. The Boker Silver Steel more than holds its own in terms of performance. I hope that helps.

I have the Edelweiss and the grind is excellent...although advertised as full hollow, it shaves, to me, more like an extra full...the only thing I don't like about it is the shank...it is slightly "bellied" not flat and no jimping so it can be a little slippery. As long as you keep your hands dry it's not a problem. It was the first razor I bought and some 30 razors later it still stays in the rotation. A ton of audible feedback and easy to hone. It is a great shaver and will continue to stay in my rotation. If it was a 6/8" it would probably be my absolute favorite.

Hope this helps...

It absolutely does! Thank you sir! That's exactly the type of information I'm looking for -

Hi K9,

I started with a new Boker Silver Steel purchased on Ebay in typical manufacturers "shave ready condition," and proceeded to learn how to hone it on shaptons 4,8 & 16k.
As a point of reference I wanted to purchase a professionally honed razor, so I drove down to West Coast Shaving about 20 min from me. I looked at the new Boker Edelweiss they had, loved the etching, but the look and feel of the 5/8 blade didn't do it for me. I wound up buying another Silver Steel.

The Silver Steel is an excellent shaver, nimble and very tactile with that extra hollow grind. She really sings when working. I find the fat, wide tang very easy to grip especially while honing. Using the pinch grip on the tang and rolling her on the spine feels super secure to me.

Im still pretty new to wet shaving but I have a lot of other nice razors to compare them to: x2 Ralf Aust, x2 Wackers, x2 Hart, x2 Revisor plus a fair amount of vintage stuff. The Boker Silver Steel more than holds its own in terms of performance. I hope that helps.

Thanks Brian! Most of my razors are 1/4 grounds, although I've owned hollow ground blades before and thoroughly enjoyed them. Thank you much for your opinion!

I have both razors and bought them new. I prefer the Silver Steel. As a matter of fact I prefer the SS over the 3 Filarmonicas I have. Only the Dorkos beat it for a great shave. That's my story. Love my SS.

I have both razors and bought them new. I prefer the Silver Steel. As a matter of fact I prefer the SS over the 3 Filarmonicas I have. Only the Dorkos beat it for a great shave. That's my story. Love my SS.

Thanks alpster! I really appreciate the opinion! That's the way I'm leaning for sure.

Don't have the SS, but I do have the Edelweiss and really like it. One thing to note about it, though, is that the bone scales are heavier than your typical black plastic/etc. scales out there. It does take a little bit of adjustment in use and maintenance (to me anyway) if it's in a rotation with razors with lighter scale weight. Not really a problem, just something to note, especially if all your other razors are pretty much the same. Some people might prefer the heavier scales.

Don't have the SS, but I do have the Edelweiss and really like it. One thing to note about it, though, is that the bone scales are heavier than your typical black plastic/etc. scales out there. It does take a little bit of adjustment in use and maintenance (to me anyway) if it's in a rotation with razors with lighter scale weight. Not really a problem, just something to note, especially if all your other razors are pretty much the same. Some people might prefer the heavier scales.

Thanks Ghostwriter. My first attempt at making my own scales resulted in something weighing close to 2 pounds.... ;) so I'm pretty used to the weight difference.

Thank you for the perspective though - actually I had to make my first set of scales after I broke the plastic ones that came from the manufacturer (Dovo).

I love my Silver Steel! Mine measured at 7/8 instead of the listed 6/8. It is easily the sharpest of my blades and will cut through the coarsest of my hair with ease. That extra hollow ground is great. It is my go-to razor when I don't feel like playing with my more expensive or questionable cutters.

I love my Silver Steel! Mine measured at 7/8 instead of the listed 6/8. It is easily the sharpest of my blades and will cut through the coarsest of my hair with ease. That extra hollow ground is great. It is my go-to razor when I don't feel like playing with my more expensive or questionable cutters.

Thanks Raif79! I pulled the trigger on the silver steel just yesterday, and I'll be stalking the post office lady till it arrives. Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated!

Thanks Raif79! I pulled the trigger on the silver steel just yesterday, and I'll be stalking the post office lady till it arrives. Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated!

You won't be sorry. Boker made a hell of a straight razor with this. I shaved with mine last night. Last night was also one of my top three shaves of all time. Everything was just right and my BBS shave was cut-free.

Thanks Raif79! I pulled the trigger on the silver steel just yesterday

You have a very nice shaver heading at you. I have one and like it a lot, enough so that I'd like to pick up an Edelweiss to go with it. Hey, it's the B&B way... Why settle for one when you can have both at twice the price!! :) Beware, RAD is lurking you!!

Top Bottom