What's new

Whipped dog boar brush

I have two brushes, an Omega 10066 and a Whipped Dog 24mm High mountain. I love my boar in every way. My badger is certainly a much nicer brush in terms of quality but I prefer the feel of the boar. I face lather and seem to create a better lather on my face with my boar.

I'm about to buy a 24mm whipped dog boar. Does anyone have one of Larry's boars? I'm curious about the knot, how it feels, how it breaks in etc.

I'm looking forward to the answers here. I just ordered 2 24mm WD boar brushes to add variety to my collection. I'm curious to know the type of boar he uses. Many mix two types and each type has different percentages of bristles that make it to the top of the brush (which controls backbone). If anyone knows that please share! Thanks

Well, I went ahead and ordered a 24mm boar from Larry at Whipped Dog. I hope the knot is similar to my omega and isn't floppy as some Semogues tend to be.

So my Whipped Dog 24mm Boar came in!!! I had it placed in an ivory resin handle and this thing is nice. I love my Omega 10066 boar but wanted something that felt better; a higher quality boar. The knot feels great and seems to be slightly more dense than my 10066 but the other dimensions are very similar. The Omega is 24/56 and the Whipped Dog is 24/54 so a slightly shorter loft that could lead to just a little less splay and just slightly more backbone. I look forward to breaking it in over the next month or so. I'm hoping this turns into a magnificent brush once broken in.

I have a Whipped Dog 24mm High Mountain that I also love. It's a very nice brush but I prefer the feel of the boar knot over the badger. The bright side, I have two matching brushes. I posted a picture of my Whipped Dog Badger brush on the bottom of the post for comparative purposes. It looks much different now that it is broken in and bloomed but I really like the quality and simplicity of Larry's brushes.

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice brush that boar brush does look very dense definitely let us know how it works out for you especially after it breaks in

I meant to snap a picture of the brush this morning but I will do so when I get home. I did a pre cleaning on the brush with a little bit of OXY clean and water. I basically put a few ounces in a mug and whipped the water around with the brush to make sure the OXY clean was thoroughly mixed up and incorporated into all the bristles. I let that sit for 15 minutes or so then I rinsed it out and hand lathered some AOS Sandalwood and let that sit for about 3 hours then rinsed it and let it dry. I will do another lather tomorrow and let it sit again for a few hours before I try to use it to lather my face.

So I compared it side by side to my Omega 10066 and while the dimensions are nearly identical the knots are very different. They are slightly different in color and feel different when wet. I know the Whipped Dog isn't broken in but trust me, they are very different. The Whipped Dog is much softer when wet and the bristles seem to absorb water differently or something. Just from the one lather I did the Whipped Dog has already bloomed more than the 10066 has in 11 months of continuous use almost like the way Semogue boars bloom. The Omega knot hardly looks different than when I first got it. The bristles are still erect and it has incredible backbone but the ends are split and it is very soft. The ends of the Whipped dog aren't split yet so the tips are not nearly as soft but the entire brush as a whole is softer but not quite like a badger. I"m really looking forward to seeing how this brush breaks in.

I've been curious about the WD boar brushes myself. Thanks for sharing!

I know, there is very little information available on these brushes so I will post pictures of the brush as it breaks in and continue to share my opinion on the brush as it develops. I can already tell that the knot is much different than my Omega 10066.

I have an omega 48. It's fantastic. Since then I found my sweet spot is the 24 size though. Now that you have experienced both would you do omega or wd?

I'm starting to regret not including a boar from Larry with my poorman's strop order. But maybe this time I will buy a semogue to give it a try before Larry's

Last edited:
I am really interested in Larry's boars as well. Have you gotten a chance to put it to use?

Yes, I used it this morning and wow, what a great brush! It still needs to break in so the tips can soften up but this brush holds a ton of lather. I'll have some pictures up in a couple of hours.

So here are some pictures of the brush breaking in. It holds lather remarkably well, better than my other two brushes which will be in some pictures as well. The bristles seem to be ever so slightly smaller than the bristles on my Omega 10066. It is also more dense and when it has lather in it the brush swells and just holds loads of lather. I used it this morning and it definitely needs to break in a bit so the tips soften a little but as far as holding lather and releasing it, neither of my other brushes can touch it.

I have been breaking it in by hand lathering some cream and letting it sit in the knot for 3 hours or so. I rinse the knot, shake it out, pat dry with a towel then place it in front of an air purifier than gently blows a breeze into the knot to dry it. I place the knot on its side with the bristles hanging off of the stand I have it on so the air is hitting the bristles from the tips of the knot. This dries the brush in a matter of hours.

full
?cache=1448896388[/IMG]
full
?cache=1448896267[/IMG]
Here is a side by side of the Whipped Dog and the Omega 10066. This is after just 4 test lathers and the knot has already opened up much more than the 10066 has after 11 months of consistent use. The most noticeable difference upon first holding the two brushes is the difference in the handle. The Whipped Dog has a thick, heavy resin handle and the Omega has a light, almost translucent plastic handle with a plastic ring holding the knot.

full

Here are the two knots from the top. The Omega is on the left and the Whipped Dog is on the right. The texture, color and density are all different between the two.

full
?cache=1448896458[/IMG]
full
?cache=1448897341[/IMG] The two knots are very close in size.

full
?cache=1448896728[/IMG]
full
?cache=1448896754[/IMG]
I'm not sure if it came through on the pictures really well or not but the knot really swells and holds lather and almost looks like a badger knot when it's all filled up. The cream used is Palmolive Classic. Both pictures of of the Whipped Dog.

full
?cache=1448896893[/IMG]
The picture on the left is two Whipped Dogs beside each other. The badger is a 24mm High Mountain set an extra 5mm deep to put it at 24/52. The picture on the right is another picture of the Whipped Dog beside the Omega 10066.

My opinion of the brush so far is that it is a very very nice brush and I am happy I bought it. It lathers better than my Omega and my other Whipped Dog. Once the tips split and soften, this will be one amazing brush.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sold! Very thorough buddy. You may need to find a hobby. You mentioned some things that came off as shortcomings of the omega which I didn't even realize because I have nothing to compare to. Still love my omega but I am 100% sure my next purchase is a wd boar. Again great job.

I am following this with great interest. I have a handle I am considering boar for, but I Haven't made up my mind. Please keep us posted..

I am following this with great interest. I have a handle I am considering boar for, but I Haven't made up my mind. Please keep us posted..

If you're on the fence about purchasing one of Larry's knots I would say go ahead and do it but I will be posting on here every other day or so as I continue to break this brush in. I can already tell it is superior to my Omega brush. It's not a landslide of a difference but I can tell that the knot is more dense and the bristles seem to be of a smaller gauge. I know most people say that boar is boar and there are no grades of boar but considering my lack on knowledge in Zoology I don't know if there is a difference in a boar that lives in Canada and one that lives in France or Italy. Boars are found all over the world so there will have to be some degree of difference in the bristles depending on the age of the boar, the climate in which it lives and it's diet.

You mentioned some things that came off as shortcomings of the omega which I didn't even realize because I have nothing to compare to.

I tried hard to not make it sound like I was attempting to slander the Omega. I love my Omega which I why I went ahead and made a small investment in a nicer boar. The Omega showed me how much I like boar brushes, the Whipped Dog is going to show me how nice a boar brush can be.

I am most interested in seeing where the backbone ends up after a few months of use. Everything you are writing so far sounds great, but if you substituted Semogue for WD in all of your sentences and pics, it would also ring true with everything so far. (That's hardly a bad thing.)

Don't get me wrong, I love both of those brands for different reasons, and I really like doing business with Larry, so this thread is awesome. I am just popping popcorn to see where these WD knots end up after some use. We don't see many (if any) threads about his boar knots, so you are kind of giving us all some valuable info.

Top Bottom