What's new

Whipped dog boar brush

I am most interested in seeing where the backbone ends up after a few months of use. Everything you are writing so far sounds great, but if you substituted Semogue for WD in all of your sentences and pics, it would also ring true with everything so far. (That's hardly a bad thing.)

Don't get me wrong, I love both of those brands for different reasons, and I really like doing business with Larry, so this thread is awesome. I am just popping popcorn to see where these WD knots end up after some use. We don't see many (if any) threads about his boar knots, so you are kind of giving us all some valuable info.
Absolutely!

I really like doing business with Larry, so this thread is awesome. I am just popping popcorn to see where these WD knots end up after some use. We don't see many (if any) threads about his boar knots, so you are kind of giving us all some valuable info.

This is the main reason I am doing this. I have enjoyed the quality and customer service Larry has provided. When I became interested in purchasing a boar from him I found little to no information on here; there is all kinds of information about his badger knots. In my original post on this thread I asked if anyone had any experience with his boar knots and there wasn't a single response nor did I find anyone on the forum talk about owning one of his 24mm boar knots. I hope this thread becomes beneficial for anyone looking for a high quality boar.

I also feel I should say, I have owned my Whipped Dog Badger since March 2015. The remainder of the pictures uploaded will be of the boar.

$Whipped Dog boar brushes.jpg

Just received my 2 Whipped Dog 30mm boar brushes. Tonight, I will soak them in Dawn soapy water then leave overnight whipped up in Cella to rinse in the morning.

Second day of use and it is still blooming just a little bit. The knot is opening up and it loves lather. The tips are quite prickly though, very stout and abrasive but not to the point of discomfort, just needs to break in and soften up some more. I received a Plissoft yesterday and I haven't used it yet and I'm going to attempt to hold off for a couple of weeks so I can use this one daily to really hone in and monitor the break in. If I switch to an entirely different brush that feels, acts and lathers differently, it may give me a false judge of character on this brush.

full
?cache=1448985370[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
If that 30 mm opens up and blooms like Daniel's is showing signs of, a guy will need a wheelbarrow to mix lather in, and a yak to shave so he can use it. Man is that a big boar.

If that 30 mm opens up and blooms like Daniel's is showing signs of, a guy will need a wheelbarrow to mix lather in, and a yak to shave so he can use it. Man is that a big boar.

Haha, that's what I was thinking. That's a big brush, I'm looking forward to seeing how you like it.

Update: first use of one of my WD 30mm boars. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it felt rather soft to the face. (most boars are a bit scratchy at first) Backbone was superb as one would expect with a 30mm boar. The lather was just as easy to make as with a badger brush. One thing to remember about boars, is that for 30 seconds of soap loading I got about 2.5 passes of lather. You need to load longer (or a second time after a pass or two) with boars. Normally for a badger (irregardless of its size) I get at least 3 for the same amount of load time. I think that part of it is the nature of boar hair- that more time needs to be taken to load the brush (I notice that on badgers you see them sort of suck soap product up the brush closer to the knot and with boars it sort of stays at the bristle end) and also that it is not broken in. Once broken in with split hair ends I think that lather volume will be near or equal to a badger.

Most of all I really think that all shave den's deserve to have at least 1 boar brush in them.(I also have Omegas and Semogue's) It is nice to have the variation and I totally understand why some shavers prefer boar by its own merits and not due to mere economics as compared to badger hair.

Last edited:
All right, I have used the brush every shave except 1 since I bought it. It has opened up a little more but the tips are still very prickly. It seems to be taking a lot more effort to break in than my Omega 10066 did. Overall satisfaction so far is very high. I will touch base again within a week or so as I will be going out of town for a few days and I'll be taking my synthetic along for the trip.

Thank you both for the update. I am looking for at least one boar knot to put in a/couple of handles I have. The only thing I really am worried about is it becoming a "flop-mop", so to speak. From these reports, I am optimistic. Thanks, please keep them coming!

All right, I have used the brush every shave except 1 since I bought it. It has opened up a little more but the tips are still very prickly. It seems to be taking a lot more effort to break in than my Omega 10066 did. Overall satisfaction so far is very high. I will touch base again within a week or so as I will be going out of town for a few days and I'll be taking my synthetic along for the trip.

I'm not an expert but I think that you will want to rotate in another brush to let your boar completely dry between uses. Letting them completely dry is part of what speeds the break in process. I throw a badger brush a day in between my 2 WD boars so that I'm hitting them each twice a week and they have a chance to completely dry out.

Here are a couple more of Larry's boars. One is the standard 54mm loft and the other is set down to 52mm. I sold them a little while ago when I started playing around with synthetics, neither was fulling broken in when I passed them along. They seemed like really solid boar knots, I've considered getting another.

I've been considering getting one of Larry's boars, but I'm a synthetics man and boars tend to be too finicky for me. I love his goblet handle though, and if I did end up buying a boar from him it would be the 24mm in the goblet handle.

Just a bump to ask for some pictures to see how these brushes are breaking in, especially 1holegrouper's 30 mms.

Top Bottom