What's new

Super Speed Razors: The Post World War II Shaving Culture in America to 1955

The Gillette E1, 195 Adjustable that once belonged to Mr. Strum, a Z3 Flare Tip that was also his razor originally, an early transitional 1947 Super Speed, and another early 1947 for disassembly and handle and TTO knob replating was sent to Cap today. The work he will do for the most part, will only involve minor cosmetics and an ultrasonic cleaning. Of course this begged the question as to why Mr. Strum so vastly preferred a Flare Tip Super Speed to his 195 Adjustable, so Blue Tip Monday was side-stepped for a week of shaving with my 1954 Z1 and 1955 A1 Flare Tip Super Speeds. The challenge began by using the Z1, which delivered a mild yet firm shave without irritation or nicking, combining its attributes with a Wilkinson Sword Solingen blade and Creemo shaving cream. The psychiatrist at work, the now owner of the Strum E1 Flare Tip, also reported excellent results with his razor. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette 1954 Flare Tip Super Speed Razor Date Code Z1 with Red Styrene case Ten Blade Blue Blad.jp

To continue the comparison, the shave tonight utilized a 1955 A1 Flare Tip Super Speed, a Wilkinson Sword Solingen Blade, and Creemo Cream. Again a flawless shave, BBS on two passes. With Creemo, wetting the residual lather from the initial pass is adequate lubrication for the second. Again, maneuverability gives the Flare Tip Super Speed an advantage over the Gillette 195 E1 Adjustable. The second photograph illustrates the differences in head profile between the two- 1954 on the left; the 1955 Flare Tip on the right. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette 1955 A1 Flare Tip Super Speed Razor and Case with 6 Blue Blade Dispenser Closed View.JPG$Gillette 1954 and 1955 Head Differences Flare Tips Close View.JPG

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I concur. The flare tip is definitely more nimble than the fat boy. If they mated, you would indeed have a red tip! The perfect marriage of aggression and maneuverability.

Adam

I concur. The flare tip is definitely more nimble than the fat boy. If they mated, you would indeed have a red tip! The perfect marriage of aggression and maneuverability.

Adam
I can't argue with any of this. My Red Tip gives me the efficiency I need, with the maneuverability that I want.

Thanks for posting Trigger Man and Keen Dog! I will continue to switch between the two early Flare Tips. The larger head on the 1955 does add weight and heft, but that is but a slight difference. What really matters though, is the steeper angle of attack afforded by the larger and more highly arched blade silo doors on the head of the 1955 variant, making it a degree or two less mild than its 1954 derivative. A close comparison in weight would be my X4, steel handled 1940's style Super Speed. I was fortunate with my X4 1940's style Super Speed to have pronounced handle scribing and excellent plating, so I have the additional heft afforded by the steel handle with the same head profile as my Z1 Flare Tip. There is though, no comparison on how securely the Flare Tip and Red Tip feels in your grasp. Super Speeds, regardless of the style preference one chooses between those manufactured by Gillette between 1947 and 1955- require the blade to be angled consistently. Because of that, it is easy to use in terms of maneuverability, but does command proper technique. It is not a razor to perpetuate poor shaving practices with, such as applying weight behind a stroke. One of my Blue Tip Brethren-Against the Grain, led me early on to determine a blade preference for my razors. I have found through much experimentation, that for me, Wilkinson Sword Solingen steel blades and Israeli Personna blades are particularly well suited to this genre of Gillette razors and are readily available at the local small town drug store, just as they were perhaps when these razors were first made. Interestingly, the 1955 Flare Tip Super Speed still sold for a dollar, just as the first super Speeds did in 1947. Thanks again guys! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown$Gillette 1955 Flare Tip Dispenser Tin Litho Close View Top.jpg $Gillette 1947 Super Speed Razor Advert.jpg$Gillette 1955 A2 Super Speed Red Tip Razor, Restored Ever-Ready 250 Banded Badger Brush, Rosevil.JP

I too prefer the Israeli Personna blades in my razors. I wish I would have found them first, but I tried about 20-30 different blades before them.

Dan; I primarily tried Gillette 7 O'Clocks, thinking that our local Walmart might carry them, which many do but they are resistant to adding inventory at the stores closest to us. However, there is a small chain of drug stores known as Mutual Drug, who caters to the older customers who insist that they carry Wilkinson Sword Solingen blades, Israeli Personnas, and Williams Mug Soap. They still have a sizeable inventory of Burma Shave brushes at their warehouse, and many of their stores still carry them. My take is that the old folks probably should know what traditionally worked best with their Super Speeds, as they still use the same razor they have owned virtually their entire shaving life. Part of my Super Speed enjoyment lies in doing what was traditional for my father, and he used Wilkinson Sword blades and Personnas. I guess the word got around back then... God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette 1949 Super Speed Travel Razor Loaded with an NOS Gillette Blue Blade 1956 B2 Production.JP

Dan; on your lead, I used an Israeli Personna blade in the double-nickel A1 Flare Tip. The Personna felt sharper with a defined cutting edge. Tonight was a two-pass BBS, without weepers or irritation- again Creemo Cream was the shaving lubricant as before. Initially at the beginning of my learning to shave with a vintage Super Speed and to acquire a passable technique without cutting the daylights out of my face- I found Creemo to be harsh and burning. That is far from the case now, as it is certainly slick, consistently delivering an irritation-free shave. I do feel that modern Williams Mug Soap surpasses it though- once again those old-timers were right! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Period Williams and Colgate Box Details Mug Soap Side View.jpg

[MENTION=102775]mgbbrown[/MENTION]
For the past week or more I have been using my A2 Red Tip with Israeli Personnas. I have been alternating soaps between Arko, Tabac, Stirling and two scents of Fine. Every shave has been enjoyable with zero irritation.
I do like Williams, but I prefer Arko over Williams.

Dan; I will have to try some! Until now I have limited myself to what is available locally, similar to the period practice. Williams is quite slick, so Arko must be nothing short of amazing! The Red Tip Super Speed will be for next week... It is the B-17 of the Super Speeds- a heavy in its own right. Thanks for posting Sir! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette 1955 Red Tip Super Speed Razor Date Code A2 Burgundy Case with Ten Blade Blue Blade Dis.jp$B17 Formation Unknown.jpg

I showed little restraint in choosing my Red Tip Super Speed to start the weekend of winding-down following a daunting workload over the past six days. My A2 1955 Red Tip again was loaded with an Israeli Personna Blade, with Creemo Cream doing the face-slickening honors. Although the Red Tip is indeed the most aggressive of the early Super Speeds, proper technique is essential; which like its 1955 and 1954 Flare Tip brethren- gave me the BBS shave I was looking for; without cuts, nicks, weepers, or under-chin irritation. I can easily see why the Red Tip is Tanker John's favorite Super Speed razor. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette 1955 Red Tip Date Code A2 with Case, NOS 10 Blue Blade Dispenser Restored.jpg

The weekend afforded a twice-daily Super Speed razor shaving opportunity, so it once again has been a Red Tip Super Speed Saturday. My wife and I packed up the Miata and headed back to Strum's Antiques in Clarksville to ease our conscience for robbing them with our recent three Flare Tip Super Speed and a virtually unused Gillette 195 Adjustable and case purchase. The store's manager, whom I had bought the razors from originally, was touched by our honesty, but would have none of it. We also found an antique mall on Virginia Avenue or Main Street that we had not visited earlier. No Super Speeds, but I did have a change it inspect an AutoStrop single edge razor that was still boxed but missing a razor blade, but otherwise appeared virtually unused. Hopefully it will find a new home someday instead of languishing in a display case. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $NOS AutoStrop Razor, Box, Strop, and Opened Blades.jpg

Last edited:
Blue Monday for me actually started on Sunday night. Getting up at 0400 to be working by 0530 affords no shaving enjoyment whatsoever. The Sunday evening shave used a Personna blade with Creemo Cream; So tonight the Blue Tip Super Speed was loaded with a Wilkinson Solingen blade. Being tired from mowing three acres had no affect on performance. In my opinion, a Blue Tip's overall mildness equates to a number 4 setting on a Gillette 195 Adjustable. Effortless and non-irritating- a two-pass BBS shave on both occasions. Overall comfort and mobility seem to clearly rest in the Blue Tip's camp over the Fatboy. My three birth year razors have given the 195 Adjustable a run for the money. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette 1955 Super Speed Birth Year Razors A1 Flare Tip, A2 Red Tip, A2 Blue Tip.JPG$Gillette Blue Tip Dispender Litho Graphics Close View.jpg$Gillette 1955 A2 Date Code Blue Tip Super Speed Razor with Dispenser and Case Closed View.JPG

Last edited:
You have some beautiful razors, @mgbbrown!
As you know, I have been enjoying my Red Tip for a while now. Today however, I received several (12) razors. One of them is a Rocket HD 500.
I shaved with it tonight and it was a very nice shave. Was it better than the Red Tip? Maybe... but only very slightly. The down side was the grip. I found it no where near as nice and secure as the Red Tip. All said and done, I think the Red Tip will be used tomorrow and the Rocket will be going down the road.

$image.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I had mentioned earlier that my father, Coy Brown, taught Chemistry and Physics at Wheat Swamp High School in 1950, and was also the basketball coach for the school. I located a photograph of his 1950 team while visiting my mother today. He is the clean-shaven man in the suit, and quite the basketball player in his own right. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown View attachment 682694
You appear to have been blessed with a good Dad! I hope that you always remember him fondly.
I remember my dad standing at the sink shaving like iit was yesterday.
May God bless you real good,

Dan; In 1954, Gillette responded to many customer requests for a razor that was both easier to hold and open. Aside from the development of the Black Tip Super Speed during the height of the Korean War and before that, a notched center or safety bar introduced in 1948- the line had been stagnant. Building on the marketing success of the original Flare Tip, Gillette would expand the Super Speed lineup in 1955 to meet the needs of virtually any shaver.

I have never tried the Super Speed's English cousin- many claim that it is a superior razor. With that said- perhaps an extended trial could make you more familiar with the Rocket's attributes. However- the girth of the Red Tip's handle and distinctive knurling do make it comfortable and easy to hold. In my opinion, the Red Tip is a stand-out and able to hold its own in terms of craftsmanship, shave ability, and all-around good looks. Beautiful Rocket Dan! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette 1955 Red Tip Super Speed Razor Date Code A2 Burgundy Case with Ten Blade Blue Blade Dis.jp

Thank you so much Dave! I researching his past, I find that he was quite the over-comer. He poured his life into us, and certainly molded me. I am thankful to have cared for him in his last days, as it bonded us all-the-more. he died from congestive heart failure, one of the many complications of lung cancer. He never once complained during his radiation treatments, and I certainly have built upon that example. Thanks again and God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Coy Brown Father Artifacts.JPG

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thank you so much Dave! I researching his past, I find that he was quite the over-comer. He poured his life into us, and certainly molded me. I am thankful to have cared for him in his last days, as it bonded us all-the-more. he died from congestive heart failure, one of the many complications of lung cancer. He never once complained during his radiation treatments, and I certainly have built upon that example. Thanks again and God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown View attachment 684780
Love the homage, Tony, stylish and beautiful. Makes me miss my father.

Adam

Adam; Hopefully I can find out more. My father was quite an interesting fellow who rose from utter poverty to success at many different levels, particularly that of a father and husband. Too bad he was not a fisherman, mechanic, or a woodworker... I could have benefited from those skills! I hope that folks have seen just how culture and history were entwined with the Gillette Super Speed razor, as it is still a quite tangible legacy. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I said it once, and it's worthwhile repeating again.
This is one of the best threads around B&B.
Tony: you are awesome, and dropping into this thread is a highlight of my week.
Thank you for sharing

Top Bottom