What's new

Converting Edt/EdC into an aftershave?

I have several really nice ($$$) colognes and toilettes that I'd like to use as aftershave splashes Does anyone do this, and if so, how? Thanks in advance.

Experiment with small batches, so that mistakes are relatively cheap. I have had some success diluting EdT or EdC with witch hazel, then adding a little glycerin.

Why not simply buy a relatively mild-scented and well-performed After Shave, apply as is appropriate and then wear your Cologne of choice?

Why not simply buy a relatively mild-scented and well-performed After Shave, apply as is appropriate and then wear your Cologne of choice?

David, I have so many aftershave splashes, several on the expensive side, it's hard to count them. With all due respect, I'd like to make use of my several expensive colognes from companies that don't even offer aftershaves.

Dilute with perfumer's alcohol?

BSAGuy, that was one of my first thoughts too. Secondarily, diluting them with witch hazel, ethyl alcohol, Everclear (I already have some of that for cleaning my tobacco pipes). I think using isopropyl would make a mess of things. I'll look around for some prices on perfumer's.

Here is a god on-line source for PA - http://www.saveonscents.com/product_info.php/products_id/3572

They also sell it in larger quantities. The shipping can be high because it is considered an ORM-D material.

Everclear definitely works, but why pay liquor taxes for alcohol that won't be drunk? IT might be cheaper than the PA with shipping.

Definitely not isopropyl. Too much other odor to work for AS.

BSAGuy, that was one of my first thoughts too. Secondarily, diluting them with witch hazel, ethyl alcohol, Everclear (I already have some of that for cleaning my tobacco pipes). I think using isopropyl would make a mess of things. I'll look around for some prices on perfumer's.

To use colognes, EDT etc. I've acquired or been gifted over the years as aftershave, I splash them into a palm of a small bit of 444 and a generous pour of Thayer's alcohol-free unscented witch hazel.

To use colognes, EDT etc. I've acquired or been gifted over the years as aftershave, I splash them into a palm of a small bit of 444 and a generous pour of Thayer's alcohol-free unscented witch hazel.

Interesting idea. I don't have any 444 yet, but I do have a bottle of the Thayer's Toner which is alcohol free. I also have some of the Original unscented which does contain alcohol. I'm guessing either one of these would work, but I'll try the toner first since there is already enough alcohol in the Eau de Toilettes and Eau de Colognes.

You could try using an aftershave with a very short scent like Pinaud Eau de Portugal or 4711. It might or might not work? Pinaud would be a cheap easy way to add ingredients that make it into an aftershave. Could just mix it in hand to test.

Good luck!

Here is a god on-line source for PA - http://www.saveonscents.com/product_info.php/products_id/3572They also sell it in larger quantities. The shipping can be high because it is considered an ORM-D material.Everclear definitely works, but why pay liquor taxes for alcohol that won't be drunk? IT might be cheaper than the PA with shipping.Definitely not isopropyl. Too much other odor to work for AS.

Thanks for the link BSAGuy. I already have some Everclear and so rarely smoke my pipes that it's just sitting around waiting for something to do. And you're right, our liquor taxes, at least within the city limits are either 11 or 12%!

I would mix the fragrance with equal parts Lucido.

Be sure to test small batches before mixing whole bottles.

Thanks,
Mike

I would mix the fragrance with equal parts Lucido. Be sure to test small batches before mixing whole bottles. Thanks,Mike

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for Lucido; right now I have no idea what it is.

Last edited:
I found some on Amazon, and in my haste, mistakenly ordered a 4 oz. bottle from Japan! Estimated delivery was 12/2 to 12/29!! If I knew it wasn't too late I'd cancel that order and buy it from the sole US vendor that I believe is in CA. It cost more from the US store but if it never arrives I'll only be out $13 and change.

Top Bottom