What's new

The Sandalwood Shaveoff

Day 1 T&H

vintage merkur slant (personna blue blade)
HMW

cream states "scented with the sandalwood fragrance"

T&H Sandalwood cologne (fragrance?): "fresh update to a subtle classic.
A fresh zing of Lemon, Lime & Bergamot top notes
merge with the lasting subtlety of Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Tonka & Musk"

proxy.php

honestly the packaging is cool, they designed the label well, also like the tubs labeling.

Last edited:
T and H SOTD #2

This shave was actually yesterday, but I was in a motel with horrible internet, so I am posting a bit delayed.

I face lathered with a large almond sized dollop in my Razorock Plissoft. It turned out to be way more than necessary. I didn't have any irritation from the creme this time, in fact it gave me a great shave, and a great post shave feel. I would most certainly buy T and H again, but probably in a different scent. I like this stuff.

Brush after first pass:

$image.jpg

Soap squeezed out of brush after three passes:

$image.jpg

SOTD:

$image.jpg

Sorry gents,
Had a shave again late last night but forgot to post, let alone take pics.
I'm horrible at this shaveoff lol.
Gonna have another shave tonight when I make it home later after class, but I doubt I'll be in the picture taking mood at all... going on 18 hours awake right now.

But u will speak a bit about my experience thus far...

I'm happy with the T&H. It smells like a cologne thats name I can't put my finger on. But I recognize it from my past.
About the performance, it's definitly more concentrated than the TOBS, which I noticed because I always start with the same amount of water in my brush and the T&H started way thicker. Whether I need less to start, who knows, but since it was a gift and for the sake of the shack off I'm not letting too little product affect my shave.
It performs really well. I've decided to stick to my most known setup for the rest of the week after the bad shave with my unfamiliar fatip earlier. Yesterday was shave 3 and besides the off shave once, both the others have been great. Little experimentation with amount of water, but so far all have worked well enough. I'm leaning more towards the heavy side with the water. It definitly can handle the water.
Not sure yet if I'll restock on ths cream, but definitly going to sample the other scents from T&H.
Definitly a good cream (but I'm still a soap guy)
As for time to lather cream definitly wins!!!
More to come and my apologies for the short reviews this week without pics.

Hello Gents,
My apologies for not posting for so long. Our internet provider changed, and only now has our home connection been re-established. I owe two more reviews for TOBS (Friday Nov 6 and Saturday Nov 7) and three for T&H (Mon Nov 9, Tue Nov 10, and Wed Nov 11). I took Sunday off so that my whiskers would be ready for the switch from TOBS to T&H.
So here are my Friday Nov 6 and Sat Nov 7 experiences with TOBS Sandalwood shave cream. I've decided to use the SPOILER tags, because it is a long post.

Fri Nov 6:
I've been looking forward to this. I want to smell TOBS' Sandalwood Shave Cream again to see if I'm still picking up those floral notes from my first experience.
As I open the tub, I get a good whiff. And I like what I smell.
Same as yesterday: some gentle sandalwood with notes of geranium.
It's time to lather up. As you can see, I've kept everything the same, except for the AS. I went with something more floral and reached for Alt-Innsbruck.
$SOTD.jpg
I get my face wet with cold water, dip my brush in the shaving cream two or three times, then face-lather.
I'm getting some of the sandalwood notes hitting my nostrils, and I like it. My face is now covered with a nice rich lather and my brush looks like this. Luscious and amazing, right?
$After face lather.jpg
I go through my three passes to obtain a DFS. The lather was great, allowed for my razor to glide smoothly through my whiskers.
There's plenty of lather left over in my brush for at least two more passes.
$After full shave.jpg

I rinse off my face, and I am, again, very happy and pleased with the results. Unlike with my first experience, this AS did not let the soap's aroma last into the day. Not a bad thing, but I was hoping it might. This AS mixed very well with the soap's fragrance.

It is time to get the family involved with this one. Let's see if it passes the wife/daughter test...
Sat Nov 6:
I've decided the change the line-up a little bit and pair the TOBS Sandalwood Shave Cream with a sandalwood AS.
Specifically, I choose Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood, while keeping everything else unchanged from my first shave. This AS was suggest by my daughter. It is one of her favourites, and she nicknamed it "Gingerbread Pirate" aftershave.
She picked it after taking a good whiff of the TOBS shaving cream. To her it smelled like the beach. Specifically, this beach, in the Britannia neighbourhood, in Ottawa. And wouldn't you know it. She was bang on!
Aren't olfactory triggers incredible, that way? As soon as she mentioned this beach, my mind immediately took me there. As a result, TOBS Sandalwood Shave Cream is forever now associated with our family outings to this beach.
T&H: You have your work cut out! :laugh:
Today's shave lineup looks like this:
$SOTD.jpg
I have dialed in the dosage of this cream, so I wet my face with cold water and face-lather like a boss!
Three passes and the result is clear: This is another rocking DFS shave.
And the bonus is that SWMBO also really enjoy the aroma of this shaving soap.

I rinse off and am very pleased with the results.
Still no irritation from this soap. Quite the opposite. My face is pampered and spoiled. And I know that I am now a fan of this more floral version of a Sandalwood Shave soap. Many thanks to Taylor of Old Bond Street. You have a made a fan of me.
This shaving soap is definitely going into my Sandalwood Sundays' rotation (yes, this is actually a thing for me).

Time to move onto T&H

Didn't have time to post this morning.

T&H #3
Face lathering day.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447290609.294727.jpg

Lathered up perfectly on my face, took more water than I expected to get the consistency I was looking for.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447290677.816093.jpg

But what I found is that the shave wasn't as good today as it was yesterday when I had too much water in it. This is a thirsty cream!

I finished up again with the balm. And again... I'm super impressed with the scent of the balm.... But do not like the scent of the cream.

Why is there a difference?

Here follow my first two days' worth of impressions from using Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Shaving Cream.
Here too I've used the SPOILER tags because it is a long post, and I don't want to monopolize this page.
Now that my home internet connection has been re-established, I will be posting daily.

Sun Nov 8: No shave. Intentionally abstained from my usual Sandalwood Sunday's shave, so that I would have longer whiskers for my first shave with T&H's Sandalwood Shaving Cream.

Mon Nov 9:
I am very excited. My experience with the previous shaving cream in this awesome shaveoff has been great. So, I keep my lineup exactly the same and only change the AS.
Actually, I select that has the same notes as the first one I used:
$SOTD.jpg
Brush: Omega boar
Razor: Merkur 33C
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
Soap: Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood shave cream
AS: Razorock The Freedberg (which is, like Fine Platinum, inspired by Creed Aventus)

I open the shave cream's bottle and squirt a nice dollop into my wet brush. Then I face lather. After I add the right amount of water, and keep on face lathering, I am expecting for some notes to explode in my nostrils but nothing is happening. This is odd...I call my wife and she confirms for me that she can indeed smell this shaving cream. She describes it to me a cologne-y. To me: nothing.
This has happened to me only one other time: with the Captain's Choice Sandalwood AS. I had to PIF it, because I could not smell it.
So I resort to some more unorthodox. I plant my nose into my fully lathered shave brush, and I finally catch a gentle fragrance. And I do see what my wife referred to. Cologne-y is an appropriate way to describe this scent. I can smell woodier notes of sandalwood, with some of the sweetness I associate with musky colognes (like Avon Black Suede, for example). It smells good, but too gentle for my unrefined nostrils. It's a good thing that I will be lathering with this cream for one week. It will give us a change to know each other better.
As I am face-lathering, I am impressed by the thickness of the lather with this cream. It lathers like a champion. This is what my brush looks like as I put it down, ready for my first pass.
$After face lathering.jpg
I go through a three-pass shave. The results are great, a DFS to be sure.
There is also enough lather left over for a few more passes:
$After the shave.jpg
The performance is top notch. My skin was well pampered and taken care of. I just wish its fragrance were stronger.
Definitely worth trying again. I could not smell the soap's fragrance into the day, at work, but I am not too surprised.

Tue Nov 10:
Again, same lineup, except for the AS.
Today's shave lineup looks like this:
$SOTD.jpg
I've switched Razorock's The Freedberg for XXX.
It's another good shave, but I felt I was off with the amount of cream I squeezed on my brush. After wetting my face with cold water, and face lathering, my brush looked like this:
$after face lather.jpg
Not a luscious and marshmallowy as yesterday. Still, three passes, and a DFS.
The XXX does not sting much, other than in the usual spots.

I feel like I am finally picking up on this cream's aroma. To me, it smells more woody and musky. Good to be sure. I'd be curious to sniff the AS and Cologne of the same name... Anyway, I am still enjoying this cream's performance and looking forward to my next shave.

Wed Nov 11: that's today. So I will dedicate a separate post for it, since I am caught up.

Last edited:
Wed Nov 11:
My line up is the same as my first shave during this rocking shaveoff, except for the AS.
It looks like this:

$SOTD.jpg
Brush: Omega boar
Razor: Merkur 33C
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
Soap: Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood shave cream
AS: Razorock The Freedberg

I place a very generous dollop on my wet brush, I wet my face with cold water, and I face lather. I get another great lather, puffy like a cloud, but not airy. It's a good whisker-mowing lather, and I can tell my whiskers are trembling with fear at the oncoming carnage. My loaded brush looks like this:

$After face lather.jpg

I go through my three passes, and the whisker carnage is absolute. The result is BBS. No irritation whatsoever, and still there is plenty of lather leftover:

$All done.jpg

This shaving cream's performance is mighty fine, I just wish I could smell it! Too subtle for my unrefined nostrils.

As a result, I think it is time to step it up a notch. Tomorrow I will be using the balm that Truefitt & Hill included with this shaving cream. Which also leads me to the following: many thanks to T&H for providing us with such a lovely product, a very classy gesture.

Have a good night gents.

Last edited:
Shave number 1:
$WIN_20151108_052454.jpg
I kept the same equipment as the TOBS last week. I have to say, the packaging and presentation are top notch. I took a whiff of this and instantly fell in love with the scent. It doesn't quite top AOS but is very close. This is a mature scent to me. It may not be a pure sandalwood but I don't care. Whatever it is just works.
$WIN_20151108_060537.jpg
I went with a normal amount of product to start out with. This was my first experience with T&H.
$WIN_20151108_060631.jpg
No water added yet, just a damp brush. No problems yet.
$WIN_20151108_060822.jpg
This was my final product. Easy to make lather that is dense and rich. The smell of this cream helped set my expectations cautiously high. I was very pleasantly surprised that this cream met and even exceeded those expectations. The shaving gods smiled on me this day and everything came together in a near perfect shave. Two passes left me very close to BBS with zero irritation or redness. I noticed that this cream was very easy to rinse off. C&E ASB only served to make my face soft and smooth. I was stroking my face all day in amazement. Shave one, which was yesterday, was a resounding success. I hoped to see the same today.

Attachments

• $WIN_20151108_052645.jpg
    $WIN_20151108_052645.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 72
Shave number 2:
$WIN_20151109_061127.jpg
I used the Universal shavette, scuttle, Bigelow brush and the aftershave sample included with the cream.

$WIN_20151109_061628.jpg
Bigger brush, so more cream today.
$WIN_20151109_061835.jpg
No water yet. So far, so good...
$WIN_20151109_062111.jpg
The end result. I have to say that I have now experienced both ends of this creams performance. To sum it up: terrible shave today. I'm not sure what the cause was and I don't want to blame T&H for today as I have only one days experience with the product. My lather was not quite where it needed to be but I thought it was fine for a shave. I did try and make it a little wetter since I was using a shavette. The shave went okay and my face was not complaining too much. I did have three weeper and a small cut on my neck. The shave quality wasn't all that good. I would say that it was acceptable but not all that great. The shavette usually gives my a pretty close shave. I was hoping the ASB would help sooth my mildly uncomfortable face. I was wrong. The balm made my face burn. I've never experienced this before. The burning sensation lasted for several hours. I'll lick my wounds and regroup for tomorrow. I am going to use the ASB sample on one half of my face tomorrow to see if that was the major culprit for today's sub-par shave. I'm still keeping an open mind about this cream and won't hold the shave against it.

Last edited:
Day #4 with T&H. Same setup as yesterday, Super adjutable with Personna blade, preshave oil and bowl lathering. At this point it seemed obvious that, while TOBS responded much better to face lathering, T&H is definitely a bowl baby. I added a few drops of glycerin to the mix this morning. Honestly couldn't feel any difference. Still had an outstanding shave, took a bit more time to avoid the hurried nick I gave myself yesterday. I finished with the T&H aftershave balm. Much like the cream, it's a pleasant and very mild scent. Not a lot of linger. Will probably add a dab of something. It does condition the skin well, I feel very soft!

My review from last night's shave. I am still a day behind in posting:

T and H SOTD #3

Kind of a quick review, but I got another great shave from the T and H. Three days in, and I certainly haven't been able to screw it up. I used a little less cream this time (medium almond sized), and still got enough for a full three pass. Face lathered again, and got a slick lather anybody would shoot for. No runs, no drips, no errors. (That dates me a little bit, huh?) I haven't used the balm since the burning the first night. Too bad, because I liked the scent.

Razor - Ball Handle Tech w/Nacet (1)
Brush - Ever Ready Restore

$image.jpg

T&H #4

Boar brush

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447335619.793839.jpg

Face lathered so I applied the cream right to the brush

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447335661.642365.jpg

Based on yesterday's shave where the lather looked and felt great, but the shave wasn't as good as expected, I used a lot of water. Water was still dripping from my brush as I was finishing building the lather.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447335772.235121.jpg

The result was a great shave. Very close, very smooth. Near BBS in two passes.

Very nice pictures going up along with reviews. I pulled a cartridge out to give that take. Nothing unusual with the cartridge as long as enough water to the lather is added to let the blades clean. sometimes I find a dryer lather clog the blades. The T&H is performing great, hunting for a con besides the price in the comparison.

$IMG_0487.JPG$IMG_0486.JPG

T&H shave 3:

Omega 49
Fatboy
Bowl lather

Nothing super special either way today. It was a DFS with no irritation to speak of. All passes were quite uneventful, but enjoyable. Finished up with the ASB, and I REALLY like it! Probably more than the cream itself.

I did get a faint floral scent off of it today, which was nice, but I'm still missing the sandalwood scent in it. Definitely not a bad cream, by any means, and I like the scent more than TOBS, but to my nose (which is not very refined), there isn't sandalwood in there.

Looking forward to shave 4 with this stuff as it hasn't been a disappointment so far.

Didn't have time to post this morning.

T&H #3
Face lathering day.

View attachment 614759

Lathered up perfectly on my face, took more water than I expected to get the consistency I was looking for.

View attachment 614760

But what I found is that the shave wasn't as good today as it was yesterday when I had too much water in it. This is a thirsty cream!

I finished up again with the balm. And again... I'm super impressed with the scent of the balm.... But do not like the scent of the cream.

Why is there a difference?

Nice A/S stash in the background

My review from last night's shave. I am still a day behind in posting:

T and H SOTD #3

Kind of a quick review, but I got another great shave from the T and H. Three days in, and I certainly haven't been able to screw it up. I used a little less cream this time (medium almond sized), and still got enough for a full three pass. Face lathered again, and got a slick lather anybody would shoot for. No runs, no drips, no errors. (That dates me a little bit, huh?) I haven't used the balm since the burning the first night. Too bad, because I liked the scent.

Razor - Ball Handle Tech w/Nacet (1)
Brush - Ever Ready Restore

View attachment 614866
Gorgeous brush!

Top Bottom