What's new

Homemade pomade

I've seen a couple of threads about it. Oil based would be easiest to try I believe. Depending upon how much hold you need. I think the first ingredient I would use is microcrystalline wax. It is the thick petrolatum wax at the base of some of the best pomades like Sweet Georgia Brown. If you refi e it further you get mineral oil. At least I believe that is correct.

I have noticed that pomades with liquid oils in the top two or three ingredients tend to be very soft, very shiny, and can be quite greasy. Probably better to.start with more solid product and cut it as needed with oils. Oil is essentially a solvent to.petrolatumor waxes. Best of luck and please let us know how it turns out.

I was probably going to go with beeswax, petrolatum, jojoba or avacado oil, and essential oil.

I also was thinking about making a Beeswax & Jojoba combo. I use pure Jojoba now, curious what else I can do with similar, better, results.

I have Bees Knees high sheen pomades. This beeswax based pomade and while it is a good product it is quite tacky and somewhat hard to apply. So keep that in mind with the beeswax.

My Barber just came out with his own home brew. Used it for the first time today and I am quite pleased. Very light hold and yummy ingredients with a bit o' shine.

$295974807.jpg.jpg

Ingredients:
Bees wax (for hold), golden jojoba oil (moisturizes hair, adds nutrients and stimulates your scalp), coconut oil (soften hair and adds shine), grapeseed oil (promotes hair growth and adds soft, smooth consistency), cedarwood essential oil (stimulates your scape and promotes hair growth).

Tony, welcome to the fold. Pomade kind of sneaks ups and before you know it you have a small drawer full.

Thanks. I don't think I will give up on my tonics entirely just yet, perhaps a combo with the pomades, but in these November gales combined with the ease of styling I was definitely missing something.

This available for purchase online? Was thinking of making my own, but his ingredients essentially mimics what I was going to try. Why reinvent the wheel!

My Barber just came out with his own home brew. Used it for the first time today and I am quite pleased. Very light hold and yummy ingredients with a bit o' shine.

View attachment 612774

Ingredients:
Bees wax (for hold), golden jojoba oil (moisturizes hair, adds nutrients and stimulates your scalp), coconut oil (soften hair and adds shine), grapeseed oil (promotes hair growth and adds soft, smooth consistency), cedarwood essential oil (stimulates your scape and promotes hair growth).

I've been using coconut oil as my only hair styling product for about 10 months, and I haven't looked back. Scoop a bit out with your finger, rub it between your hands until it melts and then apply. It provides decent hold (thick curly hair), smells divine and is really good for your hair. If I want to jazz it up a bit, I just add a drop or two of essential oil (whichever scent I'm feeling that day) and job done.

If you're inclined to try it, don't bother with the virgin unrefined stuff as it costs a bomb. Pure coconut oil is a fraction of the price and does the same job.

TPL

Not yet, I was sent an email at time of order that said "Thank you for your order, unfortunately it's going to be a week or two before we get the supplies in to fill the order. Please be patient, sorry for the inconvenience."

So I'm patiently waiting, not in any real hurry.

Not yet, I was sent an email at time of order that said "Thank you for your order, unfortunately it's going to be a week or two before we get the supplies in to fill the order. Please be patient, sorry for the inconvenience."

So I'm patiently waiting, not in any real hurry.

Thanks for the reply.

These sorts of things are what makes B&B unique. If you would have told me a dozen years ago we'd be talking about a small batch pomade and watching a thread to find out about it, I would have said you're daft. What did/do I know? Waiting anxiously for the next person's take on this one...

Top Bottom