What's new

Pâté, Terrine, Rillette

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I do have metal plates but I’m a metric guy so I’ll measure the sizes to be sure.

Sorry about that! I prefer metric because I do math in my head, but I grew up in inches. (So to speak...:rolleyes:)

Parts of Canada can get a little schizophrenic about measures. We buy stuff in tonnes except when we buy it in tons. We'll drive 40 kilometres into town to get some gallons of gas, which is sold by the litre (and it's a bigger gallon than in the US). Cars get "mileage" but not "fuel economy." The government has legislated the size of the "ounce" served in drinking establishments, and it's slightly smaller than the "real" ounce.

In the end, returning to making pate, the difference between a 3/16-inch and a 1/4-inch plate is essentially insignificant as far as the meat is concerned. I have a genetic predisposition to be a bit of a "rivet-counter" but I have also seen some very good cooks who process "ground" meats with nothing more technological than a cleaver and a lot of whacking away at it.

The most important thing is to get in the kitchen and play. And you've got that sorted, looks like.

O.H.

Sorry about that! I prefer metric because I do math in my head, but I grew up in inches. (So to speak...:rolleyes:)

Parts of Canada can get a little schizophrenic about measures. We buy stuff in tonnes except when we buy it in tons. We'll drive 40 kilometres into town to get some gallons of gas, which is sold by the litre (and it's a bigger gallon than in the US). Cars get "mileage" but not "fuel economy." The government has legislated the size of the "ounce" served in drinking establishments, and it's slightly smaller than the "real" ounce.

In the end, returning to making pate, the difference between a 3/16-inch and a 1/4-inch plate is essentially insignificant as far as the meat is concerned. I have a genetic predisposition to be a bit of a "rivet-counter" but I have also seen some very good cooks who process "ground" meats with nothing more technological than a cleaver and a lot of whacking away at it.

The most important thing is to get in the kitchen and play. And you've got that sorted, looks like.

O.H.
I will be away the week before Easter but afterwards there should be a bit of time to play around :)

We don't do anything porky at home but sometimes the missus will do a chicken liver pate, somewhat like a Tuscan topping for crostini.

Top Bottom