What's new

Shimmed Gem 1912

Some Gem razors were designed for use with an older razor blade with a thicker spine. Gems old directions for use recommend holding the razor head against the face. As everyone eventually discovers the best angle using modern single edge blades is to hold the razor at slight angle away from the face to accommodate the thinner spine of todays blades.

I saw an article that described how you could fabricate a shim from the spine of a modern blade to replicate the older thicker spine blade and therefor the recommended angle Gem had intended. You remove the spine of a used blade with pliers. Once removed you split the spine in two pieces by working the spine back and forth to fatigue the metal at the edge of the spine. You now have two shims. The shim is placed under the cutting blades spine when loading the blade.

I used a 1912 with shim this morning. I tried my customary angle, head tilted slightly away from the face. This certainly wasn't the proper and efficient cutting angle. I changed the angle where the head was against the face. Very much a more effective cut. It is a little difficult to break old habits and not revert to tilted away from the face angle at first. It became the new norm after the second pass.

The resulting shave was very good being close, comfortable, N=1. 8 hours post shave and no stubble felt, my standard for a good shave. I plan to use this alteration over the next week.

I would like to hear if others have tried this alteration and their experience.

Some Gem razors were designed for use with an older razor blade with a thicker spine. Gems old directions for use recommend holding the razor head against the face. As everyone eventually discovers the best angle using modern single edge blades is to hold the razor at slight angle away from the face to accommodate the thinner spine of todays blades.

I saw an article that described how you could fabricate a shim from the spine of a modern blade to replicate the older thicker spine blade and therefor the recommended angle Gem had intended. You remove the spine of a used blade with pliers. Once removed you split the spine in two pieces by working the spine back and forth to fatigue the metal at the edge of the spine. You now have two shims. The shim is placed under the cutting blades spine when loading the blade.

I used a 1912 with shim this morning. I tried my customary angle, head tilted slightly away from the face. This certainly wasn't the proper and efficient cutting angle. I changed the angle where the head was against the face. Very much a more effective cut. It is a little difficult to break old habits and not revert to tilted away from the face angle at first. It became the new norm after the second pass.

The resulting shave was very good being close, comfortable, N=1. 8 hours post shave and no stubble felt, my standard for a good shave. I plan to use this alteration over the next week.

I would like to hear if others have tried this alteration and their experience.
That probably would have been my link that you saw on this subject as the gentleman is showing above...Yeah, your are correct on that one...The angle is flatter against the face the way the manufacturer's intended....Great you are finding an improvement and it does make a difference for sure...I get a few PMs regarding folks getting on with it...Folks that have ingrained old habits may struggle with this as it has to be changed...:thumbup1:

Billy

Thanks Scooby Doo! Enjoyed your post. Both posts were mine. Not a difficult a learning curve. Can you list the models the shim can be used?

Thanks Scooby Doo! Enjoyed your post. Both posts were mine. Not a difficult a learning curve. Can you list the models the shim can be used?
The best way to do this is offer a list of not to use it in and why....The G Bar, Featherweight, Micromatic Family, Gem, Push, Button & Contour... :w00t:

All these razors have one thing in common...They were all designed to take a Current GEM SE Blade...All the models before that were not as they were designed to take a Stropping blade that had a spine that was about twice as thick...That said I don't use a shim in a Streamline either...I have a later Streamline...I am not sure about the earlier Streamline and what if any if there are any differences... :w00t:

In essence any model before the G Bar should benefit and it excels in some...Lather Catchers are another story as some of them need a Full Spine & some of them a Full Spine & Half a Spine to get the blade to sit forward on the blade guides...:001_cool:

Billy

I have used both a 1/2 shim [ Thanks Billy ] on 1912 including Damaskeene. Also a full shim on a Gem Junior Bar. Have found that for me
the use of a shim has improved the performance of the Razor.

I have used both a 1/2 shim [ Thanks Billy ] on 1912 including Damaskeene. Also a full shim on a Gem Junior Bar. Have found that for me
the use of a shim has improved the performance of the Razor.
That's great you are finding an improvement Sir...The G Bar Junior really does benefit from that...The Star/Kampfe Lather Catcher takes one spine & half a spine and it transform's it into a very smooth shaver...Its crazy aggressive without a shim..:thumbup1:

Billy

I used a 1912 again with a 1/2 spine shim this morning. I really enjoy the shave angle. I find the angle more "zippy" in nature but same great shave.

I've had a couple of shaves with a recently purchased GEM 1912, shimmed and un-shimmed, and really couldn't tell the difference. But after reading the thread, I think I may have been using too sharp of an angle. I will test again, shimmed and un-shimmed, with the angle closer to the face and see if that makes a difference.

Yeah as the gentleman are saying the shaving angle does have to be changed to closer against the face with the shim and old habits can die hard...The angle is quite subtle as well with the shim and may not suit everybody..:w00t:

Billy

I've noticed a little vibration (for lack of a better word) when I use my GEM 1912, which I don't get when I use my GEM Feather Weight. I was wondering whether a shim might help in this regard. Any thoughts?

I've noticed a little vibration (for lack of a better word) when I use my GEM 1912, which I don't get when I use my GEM Feather Weight... I was wondering whether a shim might help in this regard. Any thoughts?
Well..That's another thing the original stropping blade was thicker as well as the spine...If the angle is not correct you might get a bit of chatter Sir...Try the shim and see how you get on with it...:w00t:

Billy

I'll give it a try, though I'm tempted to ditch the 1912 and just use my Feather Weight. I got a pretty good shave with the latter this past AM. No "chatter", as you call it. Nice little shaver.

Well..That's another thing the original stropping blade was thicker as well as the spine...If the angle is not correct you might get a bit of chatter Sir...Try the shim and see how you get on with it...:w00t:

Billy

I also used to think that the stropping blades were thicker, but my digital caliper reveals that they're all .009", same as a modern blade. The spines, of course, are a different matter.

There is some variation in stropping spines; a Damaskeene spine is .064" while an early Ever-Ready spine is .081 (a modern spine is .037").

If I was getting vibration or chatter with a 1912 the first thing I would do is check for good spring tension, since I have seen several with weak/damaged springs. Obviously, if the blade is not held firmly against the stops weird things can happen.

--Bob

I also used to think that the stropping blades were thicker, but my digital caliper reveals that they're all .009", same as a modern blade. The spines, of course, are a different matter.

There is some variation in stropping spines; a Damaskeene spine is .064" while an early Ever-Ready spine is .081 (a modern spine is .037").

If I was getting vibration or chatter with a 1912 the first thing I would do is check for good spring tension, since I have seen several with weak/damaged springs. Obviously, if the blade is not held firmly against the stops weird things can happen.

--Bob
Yeah, of course, I meant to say that the stropping blades are more rigid than modern blades...There is no give in them at all..I have shaved with a few NOS ones and they deliver one almighty shaving experience especially on the final pass...Smooth & Smooth...:w00t:

Billy

The shim seems to have eliminated the "chatter" I was experiencing, but I still did not feel as though I was getting a good shave. I'm getting better results with my GEM Feather Weight (which doesn't need a shim). I think I'll ditch my GEM 1912. I'll try an injector at some point and see how that goes.

Top Bottom