What's new

Ever Ready 1914 Cap Spring Repair Atempt

A while ago I picked up a later model Eveready 1914 it had a a rusty radio carbon steel blade in it that had been in the razor for for quite some time. When I took the blade out and shut the cap the spring came off rivets that held the blade spring on the head. This spring is what puts tension on the spine of a gem blade that keeps the blade pushed up against the blade stops.
20240105_073353.jpg

I was under the impression from the community that if this happens normally the razor is unfixable. I wanted to try to see if I could fix it with JB Weld or epoxy. For the first try I tried JB Weld. For prep I took some 220 grit to scuff up the bottom of the the spring. I cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol put a dab of JB Weld on the rivet posts, and set the spring on the rivet posts , and lastly cleaned up the excess. I will give it 24 hours to cure, and I will post an update to see if it worked.
20240125_142303.jpg

All right here is the update to this experiment. There is good news and bad news. The J-B Weld did cure successfully. I test loaded a blade and it seemed fine, and shut the cap without a blade in a couple times to see if the spring would pop off and it didn't. I also did a shave with it just to test it out and it shaved fine for the first shave.
Now is the bad news. I made made a very big error. I used normal JB Weld which is water resistant not waterproof. I should have used the waterproof version. Here's the issue with that the Eveready 1914 cap tends to hold water in that area like in the photo.

20240126_092337.jpg

I have no idea how long that bond is going to last with the water collecting in that area, and the shock of opening and closing the razor and the tension on spine of the blade. I'll keep testing this razor with shaves and I will keep you all updated in this post if it holds together. I plan on reaching out to some of the companies that do razor Restorations, I am curious if any of them have ever attempted this repair. I recommend you reach out to one of these companies if you want your razor repaired.
I recommend you dont try this repair yourself and if you do you do it at your own risk!

Attachments

• 20240126_085759.jpg
    20240126_085759.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240126_091412.jpg
    20240126_091412.jpg
    876.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Nice to see this option for repairing these old razors. It would be a shame to toss it. Thanks for posting and I’m looking forward to seeing how it holds up. Once dry the waterproofing type shouldn’t matter?

Nice to see this option for repairing these old razors. It would be a shame to toss it. Thanks for posting and I’m looking forward to seeing how it holds up. Once dry the waterproofing type shouldn’t matter?
I'm not sure, it all depends on how the bond of cured normal jb weld reacts to being wet then dry multiple times, and having the force of the spring there as well.

I'm not sure, it all depends on how the bond of cured normal jb weld reacts to being wet then dry multiple times, and having the force of the spring there as well.

Good luck! I hope it holds on well for you. Great razor the 1914. I love the singing!

Top Bottom