What's new

AE shoes getting "bulbous" in the toe?

I bought a pair of Daltons in March. I've been wearing them 2-3 time a week, and keep shoe trees in them when not in use.

I just noticed today that the toe of the left boot seems to be getting bulbous. I can't say I can remember it ever being that prominent. I did get these as seconds, however I don't believe that is what the problem was.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445474598.413092.jpg

You can see how the toe of the left one is protruding more over the welt than the right one.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Should I email AE customer service about it?

A few more pictures

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445474658.879216.jpg

Left shoe
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445474674.533552.jpg

Right shoe
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445474707.416962.jpg

The rework of the Dundee chukka into the Dundee 2 is certainly a step backwards in style. I have the old one and it's sleek and elegant the new one looks very bloated. Welcome to Budapest!

This isn't the evolution of one style to the other. It's like it happened after I bought them or something

i see it, too...

i can't visualize how that would happen, but that doesn't mean it didn't. your toes or something would need to be in there stretching it forward, no?

Thats why I'm perplexed. I don't remember it being that pronounced when I bought them. I think I'd remember it protruding that much over the front. I also can't really think of what could cause that either. My shoe trees are the split toe ones. I took some time last night analyzing how the tree fits into the shoe. Since its a split toe version, the pressure once inserted makes it split out and press against the side of the shoe. That means the tip of the tree doesn't even push to the front of the shoe. I also use the same trees in my Long Branches, which are much softer leather so I'm pretty sure I can rule that out.

I doubt shoe tree toes, that aren't stretching trees, would even reach the toe area. Probably you never noticed it earlier.

I can see it, but that would not concern me. Just one of those things. Contact AE to see what they say.

I do see a difference, but I will also add it took more than 10 seconds after you pointed out there was a difference for me to notice it...really only after looking at the 3rd/4th picture and then trying to see something in first two pictures. So I do not think it is that bad.

Rather than becoming more bulbous over time, I think the sole has different overhangs. Meaning that the right footed shoe sole was not trimmed as tightly, leaving more material on the outside side of the welt. You can sort of see that in the first photo, in the area alongside big toe and ball of the foot. Some of that difference is camera angle, but that is almost a centered top down photo shot.

Which leads me to say that I believe there is a good chance that you overlooked this when they were new. Not that I question your eye for detail, but I think that generally a person first looks at their overall shoe, sees if it fits well, etc. and does not examine everything so closely if it gives a good first impression. Later on as the leading edge of the sole at the toe has gotten some wear to create a slight upward angle and adds a few scraps to lighten the tips, maybe that leads your eye to notice this area more prominently. That is my hunch.

A nice pair of boots regardless.

Last edited:
It's creasing differently, which is totally normal. I wouldn't call that a real issue. Aesthetically it's barely noticeable.

Potentially caused by a shoe that is too small, though.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Have the toes on your left feet caused this? Not being a wise acre (for once :biggrin:) , but maybe the width across the toes of your left foot is wider than your right.

I can see it, but that would not concern me. Just one of those things. Contact AE to see what they say.

+1 ... nobody is going to notice.

More importantly, are the shoes comfortable? Can you wear them all day and not even think about them?

Let us know what AE says, but even if they decline to do anything about it, you've still got some nice footwear.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I agree, it's really not too noticeable. I really wanted to double check to make sure this wasn't a common problem that could develop with dress shoes. More than likely it's how the shoe came. Maybe it's gotten a little more pronounced as they have broken in. After the replies and looking at them, it doesn't seem like something that's going to get worse or ruin the shoe.

I have not gotten a chance to contact AE yet, but I'll probably shoot them an email just to see what they say.

I would only be concerned if I found that I was bumping the leather in to things and damaging it (more than I normally do with the welt to protect it). I did take a look at my Daltons, but don't have the same thing going on. But I probably don't wear mine as much as you wear yours.

Top Bottom