What's new

whipped dog synthetic users

So, Ive spent the past few years acquiring and learning about DE razors, blades, and product and know what I like.

But I haven't put any thought into the brush. I have some super cheapo brushes and one old badger hair I got in a trade that's pretty tiny. Anyways, its time to start this end of it and to start off I'm looking for a good quality all around brush but cant afford much at the moment

So, Ive been emailing with Larry and he has been so helpful... I haven't even bought anything yet and he has a customer for life..

I explained my needs and hes suggesting to me a synthetic 24mm. He said it super soft and will be good for both bowl and face lathering. I know this sound weird, but in my head I just assumed synthetic means bad badger hair means good.... lol

I'm open minded and am more than happy to try it.. I have very poor quality brushes so I'm assuming anything will make a difference

So, I was just wondering if anyone has a Whipped Dog synthetic and how do you like it?

Yes, have it (24mm); yes, like it. Is it the same as my Simpson badger? No. It's not better or worse for me, just different. Tips are actually softer, but it has a lot more backbone. So, it takes a lot more pressure to splay than my badger, which sort of just envelops my skin like a warm fluffy pillow. The WD won't do that, but it scrubs better and actually produces more lather, more easily.

Here is a good thread with quite a few synthetic knot reviews:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ot-Synthetic-Brush-Showdown-Finding-YOUR-Knot

I just got a WD 24mm synth and have been using it for about a week. It makes a great lather, for sure. I'm not 100% sold on the splay - it's not that hard to splay, but does not always do so in a uniform manner.
The new Shave Revolution is getting great reviews. I sometimes think I should have tried that one instead...
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/469736-Mail-Call-Shave-Revolution-Synthetic-24mm

The new synthetics have come quite a way from what they used to be!

I have a 24mm WD synthetic and I think it's a really nice brush, especially for the price. I've tried several other synthetics and the only other one I kept was my Mühle 23mm STF that I got off BST. The thing is , though, I reach for the WD synthetic more often. They both have very soft tips, but the WD is a little bigger and feels more natural to me. The WD seems to splay more naturally too. It can lather like crazy and it can be used for bowl or face lathering. I face lather almost exclusively now and my WD synthetic works great. I have cheaper and some more expensive brushes, but the WD synthetic still gets a lot of love.

You're right on the money about Larry, too. He's super easy to deal with and you would be hard pressed to find somebody who offered better customer service.

So, Ive spent the past few years acquiring and learning about DE razors, blades, and product and know what I like.

But I haven't put any thought into the brush. I have some super cheapo brushes and one old badger hair I got in a trade that's pretty tiny. Anyways, its time to start this end of it and to start off I'm looking for a good quality all around brush but cant afford much at the moment

So, Ive been emailing with Larry and he has been so helpful... I haven't even bought anything yet and he has a customer for life..

I explained my needs and hes suggesting to me a synthetic 24mm. He said it super soft and will be good for both bowl and face lathering. I know this sound weird, but in my head I just assumed synthetic means bad badger hair means good.... lol

I'm open minded and am more than happy to try it.. I have very poor quality brushes so I'm assuming anything will make a difference

So, I was just wondering if anyone has a Whipped Dog synthetic and how do you like it?

Just got one today and really like it! It is SO soft! I'm newer than most, having only been doing this a month and a half, but my boar (Omega 49) was a little too larger and a little too scratchy for my tastes. So I got one of these in the 22mm size, shaved with it for the first time today and I'm quite happy with it. As others have said, it does have good backbone, but it also does splay, which my boar really didn't (or if it did it covered my whole face).

I think the 22 mm size was really nice as well. The only things I don't like about this brush are the handle, which feels to small for my large hands (wish I could have my huge Omega handle with the small 22mm synth knot), and the bulb cut, since after using an Omega boar I think I prefer the flatter tops. But neither of those is a deal breaker, and I really like the 22mm brush size. After having used a 27mm boar, I wanted something smaller. A lot of guys were saying get a 24mm, but after have a 22mm I think the 24 would still be a little big. I feel like this 22 is a perfect balance of coverage size and precision for me.

I've never used a badger though, so I can't compare to that.

I purchased a WD 22mm 2 weeks ago. You will enjoy this brush. It is super soft. Given how inexpensive these synthetics are, I also just ordered a Simpson 26mm to see how it performs. To

I have a WD 24 mm and I find it is easier and faster to use than badgers and boars. No soaking and it makes lather quicker. Love the soft tips, too.

I have the WD 24mm synth and it really rocks. You would have to go some to beat it's performance.

$WD_Cella.jpg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Just used mine for the first time this morning and I love it. Hands down the softest brush I own, it has the look of "real" hair and maintains excellent backbone despite its softness. I would highly recommend, especially at the price Larry offers them at. :thumbup:

Top Bottom