What's new

Carolina Herrera and Bleu de Chanel

Gents - I must have something which smells spectacularly good; for the odd, exquisite, occasion. I've heard that Carolina Herrera and Bleu de Chanel are /very/ complimented fragrances. They are both, of course, expensive: so are they worth it?

BdC is an oft maligned scent due to its popularity. That said I've never noticed it on any else and I think it's awesome, my wife loves it..

I've smelled CH but I don't recall anything about it which means little.

Fwiw, I don't typically like the barber shop scents, and BdC is very forward woodsy citrus zing

There are a multitude of CH fragrances but I think the most popular one these days is 212. I enjoy both 212 and BdC...office-safe, low-risk of offending anyone. Ironically, the very same reasons a lot of fragrance connoisseurs cannot stand them. IMO, both are in the category of "You smell nice" as opposed to "You smell magnificent and special".

At the end of the day, fragrances are YMMV. Wear what you like, wear what makes you feel good - and who cares what anyone else thinks except just be sure not to overspray and create a choking cloud of cologne ;)

This is the problem - people seem to say that BdC and CHMen are solid, all-rounders with beautiful scent profiles and significant extrinsic appreciation. They are beyond the price point I am willing to look at for a 'good' scent; I want exceptional. It makes me wonder if I should just stock up on something like Green Irish Tweed or Creed Aventus - both more expensive but consistently rated as outstanding.

What are your thoughts on whether BdC and CH are worth it compared to more expensive scents such as Creed's house fragrances or similar.

I've got Creed aventus samples. I really want to like it, in fact I really do love the scent. But, it only lasts about an hour on me. It maybe my olfactory. I just can't smell it on me after an hour, even when I put my nose down my shirt!

If I wear guerlain vetiver or YSL Rive Gauche, I get odd whiff s through the day, which I enjoy.

Like I said, I really want to like it but after an hour with aventus, I just can't smell it.

BDC? I smell it all over the sales guys, I'm not a sales guy, I'm a creative copy writer so I like to be different :)

Bleu de Chanel is really nice, with woody notes.
I like to use it along with DR Harris Windsor.

$harris windsor kent merkur progress chanel bleu december 10 2014.jpg

It is difficult enough for me to say that a frag is "worth it" on my own terms. Trying to make that decision for someone else is impossible. Best bet is to get along to a good scent counter and do some sampling. Just because a scent is widely praised doesn't mean that it is suitable for everybody.

If you have an idea in your head of which notes you are looking for, do a little research and try to make a list of potential candidates based upon scent profile. Once you have done so, a good salesperson should be able to help you find a suitable frag (or three).

If you reside in London, UK (rather then London, Ohio) may I suggest a trip to a major department store? I have recently sampled a multitude of "popular" fragrances; liked just a few. As David pointed out, an experienced salesmen should be able to guide you in the right direction. If you find a fragrance you like but consider it too expensive, you can always try to buy it form a discounter or look for a split.

Decided to take a chance on Penhaligon's Sartorial; 100ml, EdT, £45 delivered. For me, this is the most upper limit of what I will pay for a 'good' fragrance. Above this price has to be simply sublime, and it is unlikely that a simply sublime fragrance can be bought for under £80 since the demand for great scents is so high.

An excellent choice, in my view.

No experience with CH fragrances, although I do own BdC which I happen to be wearing today. I enjoy BdC. It's a good, versatile fragrance which suits just about any occasion and any weather.

Sartorial is one of my absolute favs. I'm never thrilled with its performance, but I tend to be a conservative sprayer (1-3 sprays with most fragrances). With Sartorial I use 4-6 sprays and always make sure my chest sprays make contact with my undershirt as this extends longevity for me. Sartorial may be the classiest fragrance I've ever smelled. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

An excellent choice, in my view.

No experience with CH fragrances, although I do own BdC which I happen to be wearing today. I enjoy BdC. It's a good, versatile fragrance which suits just about any occasion and any weather.

Sartorial is one of my absolute favs. I'm never thrilled with its performance, but I tend to be a conservative sprayer (1-3 sprays with most fragrances). With Sartorial I use 4-6 sprays and always make sure my chest sprays make contact with my undershirt as this extends longevity for me. Sartorial may be the classiest fragrance I've ever smelled. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I'm simply loving Sartorial! It arrived while I was at work on Thursday and I quickly nipped into the bathroom to test it. When I arrived back everyone was commenting, "what is that nice smell?" - lots of compliments, but not in a sexy way. People appreciate this fragrance because it smells classy, as you say. I do find it can stay on the skin for over 12 hours, which is not a problem for me. It does take a long time to mature on the skin but when it does (after 6 hours or so) it gives off one of the most pleasant smells I have ever smelled.

Also, a question for you sir: do you get a sense of "chalk" when you smell Sartorial? I absolutely do, and I am very impressed with how they pulled that off.

Last edited:
Also, a question for you sir: do you get a sense of "chalk" when you smell Sartorial? I absolutely do, and I am very impressed with how they pulled that off.

Can't say I ever sensed chalk, although I find it somewhat difficult to pick out individual notes in Sartorial. It does remind me of a freshly starched/pressed shirt but that may be the only accord I can describe apart from a slight metallic note. I normally don't favor metallic notes but for me it stays in the background and is done exceptionally well.

Sartorial just seems to work well for me, especially as temps start to go down. I find myself sniffing it quite often, and I'm guessing you may do the same. Enjoy!

I think what you really should look into is Scent Story 24 Gold. It's reasonably priced, long lasting and gets tons of compliments.

24 Gold arrived 3 days ago now and I must say I am not totally overwhelmed. I think it is a nice smell, but I am finding it hard to tell apart the different notes - it is very sweet and that is the overriding sensation I feel when it is on me. I may have to give it some more time before I completely get the hype. It's certainly great value, and is very strong and long-lasting.

Top Bottom