What's new

Shavette

So I have recently been trying to shave with only a shavette (at least my face head shaver too). I am not here to start the whole Shavette VS Straight debate. I feel like there are enough post on that already. But after my shave I just had I had some thoughts on them. Most of the post I see in regards to shavettes are should I get one? They usually end with a split of sure why not or just get a straight. I do not see too many discussions on pros of a shavette. Other then the cost.

So my thoughts are shavettes are a great learning tool. For the price (I know I just brought this up) but, a shavette can be had for around 20 bucks. Which when you think about it is the cost of some soap or a new brush. A shavette however will help you to learn to use the other gear you have in different ways.

Soaps. So along my journey I thought I was making lather just fine. I was chasing after that fluffy picture perfect lather. That thick dense lather that we all see pictures of. After struggling with using that kind of lather I returned to the internet to figure out why I was struggling so much. I found out with straights you generally want slick not thick. Now this is something you are going to have to play around with to figure out what works best for you. Some straight shavers say they use the same lather for both DE and straight. Which is fine. But learning to make lather in different ways has helped me to unlock the performance of soaps a little better I feel. It also seems like I am not using as much soap.

Lather. I realize now you can get by with a sub par lather when using a DE or even a straight. But being that the shavette is a lot less forgiving then the other two. I learned very fast. If the lather isn't right make it right.

Forgiveness. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Wise man say: "Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." I have found a shavette to be very less forgiving then anything else. I think this is due to the thinness of the blade. You can push down on a DE pretty hard before you will start bleeding. The same can be said for a straight. Yes a straight will cut you quick. But the weight of the blade and size of it will give you some more material to push on. The shavette (at least the one I am using) has a lot less material to push down on. Blade angle will also have almost instant feedback. I have found that with the straight and DE you won't usually notice a bad angle till post shave when you get the burn or irritation. With the shavette you are going to cut yourself when your angle gets off. This also will help with beard mapping and how to stretch your skin. Different ways to move your face and stretch. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Stretching. This kind of goes hand and hand with the thin blade. Skin stretching is key to straight or at least so I have heard. Using a straight though because of the weight can some times skip over not so well stretched skin. You won't remove hair but you will still glide. With the thin blade on a shavette it is not going to bounce or glide over unstretched skin it is going to dig in. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Pressure. Due to the thinness of the blade too much pressure and you are cut. Also, because of the weight you are going to learn a lighter touch. Lighter pressure seems to be one of the most common suggestions for new wet shavers wondering why. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Products. As mentioned before I find myself using other products that didn't work so well with DE. So the main thing I notice that works a lot different in a shavette VS a DE are blades. Those blades that weren't so great due to not being sharp enough in a DE are usable in a Shavette. In fact you might want to start off with some of those not so sharp blades. Also, it might be worth mention that smoothness of the blade I find to be more important then sharpness. I had heard about this when searching for DE blades. But, I think I gained a much better understanding with a Shavette. While on the topic of blades I find them lasting longer in a shavette then a DE. Also, with blades double the uses. Depending on the style of shavette you can either use full blades and flip to the other side the style I have. Or you can snap blades in half. Please do some research on how to do this correctly so you don't hurt yourself. But, all in all getting 10+ shaves off of one blade is a lot better then less then 5. On this topic I do not see the point of buying half blades (pre snapped) DE blades. Buy the full ones and you got more stock for your DE.

Simple. Keep it simple. When I talk to people about switching over from cartridges and canned goo I suggest start with soap and a brush. I feel there is a lot to learn with shaving and switching the simplest things first helps. So decreasing variables will help to learn proper technique as opposed to what the hell am I doing wrong. With straights you have angel, pressure, lather, prep and so much more. But on top of all of the there are the variables of stropping technique and proper hone. A shavette elimantes the cost of strops and honning right off the back. But, also the question of is it "SHAVE-READY" you don't have to worry about hair hanging test, cutting your new strop, is my stropping technique on point, having to ship out a straight for honing. If it is not shaving how you want pop out the blade and grab a new one. Less variables you can focus on technique.

So in summary. I feel the shavette can be viewed more as an educational tool that will improve your entire shaving experience. It will be a steep learning curve but I suggest trying to stick with it for 30 days exclusively. A lot of people that try the shavette I think just give up on it. I have tried shaving with a shavette, a few DEs and a few straights. I honestly feel like my short time with the shavette will help to improve my use with the other products. Thank you for your time and sticking out the long post. Any questions or comments feel free. Have a good day and happy shaving.
[/FONT]

Good read. I too tried shavettes but then went the whole hog and jumped on SR train. I ended up preferring SS blades as for me the slight weight advantage helps. However as I bought two Dovo shavettes and have three Wecks, these past weeks I've tried them out again. The Wecks are for me simple to use as they have a thicker blade and they just a joy to use. The Dovo though, has lead me to prefer the longer blade over the regular DE blade. I just seem to have more control. Again I've gotten really close and almost BBS with every go. Little in the way of blood shed. For me I say try both. If you prefer shavettes then they cost little but do try a SR.

Good read. I too tried shavettes but then went the whole hog and jumped on SR train. I ended up preferring SS blades as for me the slight weight advantage helps. However as I bought two Dovo shavettes and have three Wecks, these past weeks I've tried them out again. The Wecks are for me simple to use as they have a thicker blade and they just a joy to use. The Dovo though, has lead me to prefer the longer blade over the regular DE blade. I just seem to have more control. Again I've gotten really close and almost BBS with every go. Little in the way of blood shed. For me I say try both. If you prefer shavettes then they cost little but do try a SR.
I have straights. I have tried them. Waiting to revisit them. Just some subjective reading. I do prefer bigger heavier blades on the straights. But, like I said I think they are more forgiving. Which is not a bad thing at all.

I have both a shavette and SE, I find the 5/8 straight doesn't give me as close of a shave as my shavette. It "may" be my technique, but I'm not too sure about that. My Parker SR1 with Shark stainless steel blades gives me an awesome shave every time. Theyare less forgive though. I have cut myself pretty good with the shavettes and have yet to cut myself with a SE.

Blades are a personal choice for both DE and shavette. You're right that favorites in one aren't always that in the other but I dislike a dull blade in both tools.

I have owned the fixed and folding Feathers and sold them. I now have a Kai Captain I really like. Much less then the Feather DX. I have some Mastro Livi razors along with 2 6/8 Austs and 3 Genco's. I use the Kai about once every 2 weeks. As you said, its my learning refresher. Makes me very aware of pressure. All in all, I prefer the straight razors for comfort and closeness but still like the Kai for the tune up.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have shavettes and use them occasionally. I agree, a DE blade in a shavette can las quite a long time. Being able to control the angle more fully than you can with a DE helps a lot, I think. Sure, a straight is the way to go. The shave will be more comfortable and there will be less blood. But for a newbie with no strop, nothing to hone on and no knowledge of how to do so, and limited budget, a $5.99 shavette from Sallys or a $2.99 shavette from China via a certain popular auction site, along with a pack of blades, is perheps not the BEST introduction to straight shaving, but is one possible way to go. The financial comittment is lower. And when you can shave bloodlessly with a shavette, a straight should be a piece of cake. The shavette also eliminates concerns over whether the edge is dull or not. Any doubt and you simply change the blade.

And for any newbies or wannabes reading this, I suggest you use a blade in your DE for a couple of shaves before snapping it and using it in a shavette. A brand new blade has a lot of gotchas in it, and a lot of irritation. I like to cork mine, i.e. slicing the edge ligthtly through a wine cork. A corked Feather is about as good as it gets for a DE blade type shavette blade.

I enjoyed your write up, a primer on proper shave technique. Two things you said jumped out to me - understanding lather (slick or foamy), and proper skin stretching. These two things took me quite some time to learn. I would add one more variable - mapping your personal beard growth direction.
You basically laid out Shaving 101. Thanks for the great read!

understanding lather (slick or foamy), and proper skin stretching

Second that. And if you can try to use the left hand when doing the right side of the face. I've been unable to but that maybe something to do with a head injury and memory loss I had when in my 20's. Just can get the grip or hold right. Even now I hold a lot of stuff with the L/H but I write with the right,

Great post on shavettes. I have been using shavettes almost exclusively for about a year. I started with a cheap Magic from Sally's after getting a cheap used straight with a questionable edge. The straight tugged and hurt. The shavette just cut. I eventually switched over to a full DE bladed Universal shavette. I love the heft of it. It gives a very good shave. They are a great way to learn but with very little room for errors. I'm going to get a new straight for Christmas so I can see what the differences are soon.

Shavettes are nice. Straights are, when properly maintained, nice.
Both are nice. Practice wil learn to have maximum enjoyment from both.

I just go for the mood.
:)

Top Bottom