What's new

Scrub brush case with gem 1912 razor in it?

Hi guys. I was in an antique store today and saw something unusual. There was something that looked like a scrub brush that was actually a case (it wasn't a normal shaving brush... it had multiple small knots on a flat surface like a scrub brush). There was a snap clasp on the brush handle, and you could open it up because it was actually a case. Inside there was a 1912 style gem SE with the ornate style handle, as well as a broken piece of a built in mirror and a spot for a blade bank (missing). This seemed really unusual to me.... definitely not a typical box style of case. Does anyone have more information about this item or know what it is?

PS - Sorry I forgot to take a picture. If I see it again I will.

It is most likely a clothing brush for brushing one's suit. This was a common practice at one time and most travel kits came with a suit brush. I had one very similar except the closure was zippered instead of snapped. Mine had a Tech razor inside.

I agree. Sounds like a travel kit with clothing brush and hollow handle for other items, in this case a razor.

Were the razors necessarily travel sized or different from their normal cousins? I haven't handled many SEs, but this one didn't look like it was necessarily smaller, and it had that ornate handle you see on those old 1912 gems. Did they make a smaller ornate handle for travel?

By the way, what kind of metal were these originally plated with? The one I saw looked somewhat dark, so would that be tarnished silver or do you think the finish was just worn off?

Top Bottom