What's new

It's here! 1955 A2 SS Red Tip

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
It's a beaut!

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

Can't wait to take this guy for a test drive tomorrow. Hoping the red stays on the tip and not my face!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Looks great - the Red Tip is one of the best of the vintage Gillettes!

tankerjohn

Thanks guys. The story's not so exciting - just a lucky find on Etsy for a pretty good price. I never had any luck at the antique stores around me and I'm not much into the Ebay thing, so I'd kind of written off vintage for a long time. Then I acquired a 65 Flair Tip SS in a trade a couple weeks ago. The first shave was a revelation - I'm hooked! I'm a heavy bearded sort of guy, so the Red Tip seemed right up my alley. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Nice razor you have there , it is a beaut . I have Red Tip also , they are a nice shave I'm sure you'll enjoy the razor

Glenn

Really nice! I have a B2 and love it. Give it about 4 - 5 shaves to get the hang of it and respect that it's a Flare Tip on steroids. It's a great razor.

A nice one. The birth-quarter razor I chose to get is an A3 Red Tip. Red Tips are wonderful shavers, I'm sure you'll be happy.

tankerjohn

Well, four shaves in and I must say, this one smoooooth operator. If I didn't see the stubble in the sink, I'd hardly know a blade was touching my face. Easily the most comfortable razor I've used in a year and change of DE shaving. So much for the Red Tip's aggressive reputation. I know YMMV and all that, but to my face the 65 Super Speed feels more aggressive. That's not normal, is it? As far as closeness, I'd rate it at least on par with my EJ and Merkur 38c. Probably a little better even. I think I still get closer shaves from my slant and Fatip, albeit with a lot more attention to detail and potential for irritation. For the combo of close and comfortable, the Red Tip is the best I've tried. Perfect daily driver. The I'm really happy I picked this guy up. Mind you, these are only my initial impression after a handful of shaves, but I really look forward to getting to know this razor better. Thanks again for all the encouragement.

Congrats! Nice one you found there!

I have a like-new A1 flare tip and really like it. Also it's my only vintage razor, so when I feel nostalgic and want to go retro that's what I reach for.

Top Bottom