What's new

This is my starter set, should I order it, or change something? thoughts?

I would ditch the Perfecto brush and go instead with an Omega boar (many different models for under $10). They are excellent brushes for the price, so you are getting more bang for the buck than with the cheap badger. When you are ready to upgrade to a pricier brush, if you still want to try badger you can find numerous recommendations in the Shaving Brushes subforum. But you may find that a good Omega boar does all that you could ask for.

I also agree about not sinking money into 100 blades right off the bat. There are many options for sample packs either through West Coast Shaving or TryABlade.com

You can also get blade samples at Razor Blades and More, or Shoebox Shaveshop. Both are good shops. Ditto on an Omega boar. Happy hunting!

Most of these guys have much more experience than me, and you should probably follow their advice over mine ... but what the heck. :thumbup1:

Generally, I think you should go effective and inexpensive because you might hate shaving with a DE, or you might find out that a different DE setup works best for you after a while. But if $s are no issue, that might not apply. In case it does, I offer the following for what it's worth:

• I'd keep the brush. I have it and it works. I eventually replaced it with synthetic from Whipped Dog, which I like a lot. Check some of the posts in the brush forum: some guys are turned off by the smell of a boar brush.
  • I'd get a cheaper razor. The LORD L6 is cheap and works great and even comes with some blades. You can always upgrade later. But that razor is face and beginner friendly and just works really well. (Edit: same razor, cheaper, but without as many blades ... probably a better deal if you get a sampler.)
  • I'd keep the stand so you can get your razor out of the water and hang your brush upside down for better drying. But there are other ways to accomplish that as well.
  • I agree with getting a blade sampler. I think that's one of the things that keeps DE shaving fun and interesting at the beginning. It's amazing how different the various blades feel and how they work differently for each person. Try A Blade makes getting a sampler super simple and cost effective.
  • I agree with dropping the bowl with the idea that you're likely to have perfectly serviceable bowls lying around.
  • I agree with getting cream over soap to begin with. Creme is easier to start with. As I get more experienced, I'm starting to like soap more, but both are nice.
  • I find normal body lotion is enough of an aftershave for me, maybe it will be for you as well.

Most of all, enjoy!

Last edited:
Fun fun. I have that stand and brush. I like them but I do like my omega boar brush better. Like everyone has said go with a blade sampler pack.........I still have 95 derby blades I will never use. Lol.

I started out real cheap, because I wasn't sure I'd like it.
My startup was about $50 total.
MTO razor+blades - $20
VDH Luxury starter with boar brush, soap and mug - $30.

Either way - good luck on your journey!

You have a good cream. I recommend adding a few drops of glycerin each time you lather. It improves moisture and lubrication. Even better, try überlather. Check out YouTube videos.

I have read all of your posts for THREE times.

Too informative to me to digest in one reading session :)

I have ditched the stand, and the bowl.

About the brush, I can not use a boar brush for religious reasons. So, I'll stick with the current, since too many options exist, and it has many reviews, I guess it's a good starter for me.

Every advice, and tip are considered.

The shaving cream/soap, and after shave is a big market. Too many choices. I'm really tired of how much there is to pick from.

I'll stick to the shaving cream, and I picked a proraso after shave balm + no-foam shaving gel for lining my goatee and mustache.

http://tryablade.com/ is AWESOME. I picked around 15 items :)

Guys, I can not state how much I am overwhelmed with your comments.

Thank you VERY VERY VERY much.

The price went down to $127.63 including a after shave balm from Proraso, Alum Block, and shaving gel.

I was in a strict situation since Amazon doesn't ship all items globally. I had to choose between a chosen list of items.

THANK YOU GUYS A LOT!!!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I'm with the others on your brush choice. I started with a Perfecto pure badger and it is a terrible, terrible brush. Prickly, floppy, and sheds like crazy - the trifecta of awfulness! Omega and Semogue boar brushes are much better. Otherwise your intended kit looks fine. Best of luck to you!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
If you can't use a boar brush, then pony up for a best badger brush or go synthetic. I can't emphasize enough how crappy the Perfecto is. I'd rather use no brush because at least then I wouldn't be picking hairs out of the lather every single shave.

Most of it looks fine, but maybe a bit overkill. I think the blades are fine, but being that preference varies so much from face to face, I would not order bulk yet. Order a sampler kit from some place like Maggards. I don't have that razor, but have heard good things about it. The brush looks like the Escali I ordered from Amazon. It shed like a dog in summer. Try a boar brush first if you just want to keep it cheap to start. I upgraded to a nicer badger after about a year of wet shaving. On the mug, I have a Van der Hagen apothecary mug that collects dust. I found a small, squarish bowl (salsa dish?) that is palm sized that I use more often and it only set be back a buck at Big Lots. Start off simple and see if you need/want it later.

Your starter kit loks similar to what I started with.

I think it's good that you're ditching the stand and bowl. I purchased both as a beginner but haven't used either one in a long, long time.

The blade sampler is a great idea. I wouldn't start off with 100 of any one blade (although I did this as a beginner, too).

Since boar isn't an option for you I'd go with a synthetic. I love my Omega boars, but my Fine angel hair synthetic has become my go-to. It doesn't require soaking, doesn't shed or smell, and the lathers it produces are great, every time.

I like witch hazel as an aftershave and Nivea sensitive balm. Lots of good options in this area.

I started with a Merkur but got rid off of it after a year or so when the chrome started flaking. Lots of guys don't experience this so maybe it's just me. Based on my personal experience I'd recommend staying away from zamak razors and going with brass, stainless, or aluminum.

Good luck!!!

Brush choices that I can think of -

Badger - Whipped Dog silvertip is a "best bargain" standby.
Muhle synthetic. Cheaper ordered from Europe, are great as a travel brush as well since they dry very quickly.
Horse - I don't know enough about horsehair brushes to be able to comment.

I use a $15 bowl off of eBay as a brush holder. I think that it looks way cooler, and is more functional, than a stand. For starting out, your cereal bowl will also work beautifully.

Try not to overthink things; you really only need a good razor (Merkur is fine), a blade sampler, a decent brush, and some decent soap/cream. Aftershave is optional. I still do not own an alum block, and probably wouldn't recognize one if it knocked on my door wearing a sign saying "Alum Block Here" on it.

Most of all - enjoy!

Skip the razor stand. Unnecessary. Get a bowl at a thrift shop. I got mine for 62 cents.

+1. No need for a stand or bowl. Suggest you get one of the blade sampler packs rather than starting with 100 of one blade. The rest looks just fine to me. Main things are to look at some of the videos and the wiki. Have fun!

From one newbe to another, here is my $.02

-Skip the stand, if you want one, you can get it later if you decided to stick with it
-Go with the Merkur, great starter razor and if you decided DE shaving is not for you, you will have no problem selling it on here
-TOBS is a great starter cream. I really like mine
-Drop that brush! I have it and don't really like it. If I could do it all over again I would look at a Whippeddog synthetic. If that is too much or shipping is an issue, look into Omega or Semouge badger since boar is not an option. This is wear I would not skimp. A good lather is a must!!!
-I passed on alum and septic pencil
-get a sampler pack of blades for now
-don't need a bowl, face lathering works great
-Nivea after shave balm is awesome, been using that for about 10yrs when shaving with carts.

I know its a bit of an investment, but I think its worth it! If you go with the merkur and whippeddog, that will be most of your expense and if for what ever reason you don't stick with DE shaving you will be able to sell them no problem on here!

I just recently started and my starter kit was around $80 and I wish I went with the whippeddog!

BTW, if you don't have amazon prime, you can sign up for a trial period and get free 2day shipping. Then you can cancel it.

Top Bottom