What's new

Optimal use of a Slim Adjustable

It didn't take long to figure this razor out. And, I'm extraordinarily pleased with it. As always, everyone's face is different. But, I have areas of very light growth and areas of wiry growth. For me, 2 passes set at 5 followed by a pass set at 9 (OK 1/2 pass) over the wiry areas was the magic. And, I can see where differing situations might call for other settings - say, for instance, a sunburned face or a second shave of the day. Or mowing down a weeks worth of stubble. I'm now definitely sold on this razor and it's a keeper.

It didn't take long to figure this razor out. And, I'm extraordinarily pleased with it. As always, everyone's face is different. But, I have areas of very light growth and areas of wiry growth. For me, 2 passes set at 5 followed by a pass set at 9 (OK 1/2 pass) over the wiry areas was the magic. And, I can see where differing situations might call for other settings - say, for instance, a sunburned face or a second shave of the day. Or mowing down a weeks worth of stubble. I'm now definitely sold on this razor and it's a keeper.
$uploadfromtaptalk1444363250032.jpg so, let's throw in some eye candy!

Awesome bro, I have a fatboy and super adjustable, I love agressive razors as I can't use a straight, also have ATT H2 open comb, very agressive!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That's the beauty of an adjustable. You can tailor your shave to your face, beard, and situation.

New guy here and love the slim adjustable. I read several times that is a bad razor for a beginner -- too many variable to work with at the same time. I disagree.

For me, I don't change the gap during my shave. I worked around 2, then 3, then 4 - great. Had to try 5 - no, back to 4. Use 4 for a while, then bought a Muhle R89 twist with approximately the gap of a slim 4 setting. I'm liking the twist.

As I try new blades, I test them in both razors, in case one likes a blade better than the other.

Later, if my needs change and I want more aggressive, I can try that on my slim for a while. Then buy a more aggressive razor if I want.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I love Gillette adjustables. They are all great razors and the variety of mildness/aggressiveness they can manage is impressive and makes them tough to beat in my opinion.

I love Gillette adjustables. They are all great razors and the variety of mildness/aggressiveness they can manage is impressive and makes them tough to beat in my opinion.

+1

There's something to love about all vintage DE razors but the Gillette adjustables are hard to beat in terms of performance while giving you the satisfaction of using a classic of shaving history.

I have to say that it would be very difficult to beat the sheer versatility of a Gillette adjustable. I'm really happy with my Slim and it is truly a great razor.

I use mine the same way as my Fatboy set it to 9 and leave it there. 2 passes and cleanup and I get a great BBS, but that is the beauty of an adjustable everyone can find their own way of using it.

Top Bottom